"Birmingham Blitzkrieg"

I'd like to join in on this one and I know time is ticking.

But I need some help first.

I'm looking to build a B-17E, "Birmingham Blitzkrieg". There are several reasons for this. I live in Birmingham (never mind eh!), it was one of the aircraft on the first Eighth Air force mission involving B-17's and so on.

Can I make a USAAF B-17E from this kit.....

IMG_0718.jpg

I know it might sound like a daft question (it says B-17E on the box don't it?) but just want to make sure that there weren't too many modifications made to the standard B-17E for the RAF. Decals aren't a problem as they are available.

And before anyone asks, I won't be painting it as an assembly ship (red and white stripes!) just to get a build finished will be an achievement as lately the mo-jo is not good.

I've found a newspaper cutting from the Tuscaloosa News 19th August 1942 which names both the pilot, Lieutenant Tom Borders, and the belly gunner, Sergeant Kent West, who is credited with a Focke-Wolf 190 (his story was written up in YANK MAGAZINE 2/9/1942 and in there West says it was an Me109) on the first raid mentioned above. Doing a build doesn't get any better when you can add history to it. Kent was the first Eighth Air Force gunner to shoot down an enemy aircraft in the European Theatre. At this Time 41-9100 served with the 414th BS as part of the 92nd BG

More info found making this build most definitely my priority for GB's at present.

Lieutenant Thomas Borders was PAINTED by artist Peter Hurd for Life magazine and you can see Tom's painting in the Life Magazine 15 Feb 1943. However, it notes that some of those men he painted have since been killed (presumably before the issue of the magazine)or are MIA and, unfortunately, Tom is one of those.

I found out that Tom was killed on a mission to Bizert, Tunisia on the 26th December 1942 in a B-17F serial 41-24413 as part of the 414th Squadron, 97th Bomber Group. In fact I think the crew who flew that very first mission with Borders over Europe were all killed over Bizert.

I have also found a photo of 5 crew men stood under "Birmingham Blitzkrieg" however, although there is a tall gent in the centre, he don't look like the painting by Hurd of Thomas Borders.

http://img3.fold3.co...0_4512_3531.jpg

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

A bit more information.

Kent West was from West Blocton, Alabama.

I've also found out that the photo of the 5 crewmen posing besides Birmingham Blitzkrieg is dated 7th September 1943 which means it can't be of the original crew. One name is given. The chap leaning against the prop is apparently Col Maurice "Mo" Preston. In this shot Birmingham Blitzkrieg is serving with 525th BS as part of the 379th BG. Her squadron code is FR and aircrfat letter U.

http://img3.fold3.co...0_4512_3531.jpg

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

OK,I think my research into this aircraft and its original crew is complete.The internet is an awesome tool!

The original crew members were:

1Lt Thomas Borders

Sgt Kent West

PFC Edward Dupaul

Sgt Henry Eaton

Sgt Jack Elliott

1Lt Fleming Goolsby

Sgt Edward Swedo

1Lt Pierce Tyler

1Lt Theodore Hokenstad

1Lt Mortimer Walsh

They were all killed when the full bomb bay recieved a direct hit by flak.

The aircraft they were flying was B-17F 41-24413 Birmingham Blitzkrieg II

41-24413 was transferred fron the 92nd BG to the 97th BG for its move to North Africa. In the 92nd BG records there is no name aginst this a/c so it would appear that Tom and the guys named it Birmingham Blitzkrieg II after the move.

So now, I'll try to concentrate on building the original Birmingham Blitzkrieg.

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

Thanks both, but I have come across a problem.

The decal sheet by Carpena is for Birmingham Blitzkrieg as an assembly ship. The text shown on the photo of the 5 crew stood below Birmingham Blitzkrieg is different

to that on the decal sheet.

So, I have two choices, build it as an assembly ship, or, try to get some decal text to match that of the early 41-9100.

Well, I can still make a start and decide this later.

Deacon

Most of you will know that the B-17E, unlike the G did not have the waist gun positions staggered.

Academy leave it to you to add one of to windows to the port side of the fuselage, providing the two locations where windows were either situated on the

types before the G and of course the G.

This photo shows the two positions and you can see the one where I have started to cut out the plastic....

IMG_0723.jpg

and here is the finished window aperture....

IMG_0724.jpg.

Deacon

OK, me again. More talk and not so much action.

With the Academy kit being a bit older, I've noticed that some areas of the kit do not have a lot of detail. For instance, the radio operators section is missing, there's no floor for the waist gunners. The Academy barrels have no detail they just look like bits of plastic rod and the wheels lack detail. Then there's the fact that, because this is a RAF bird, there are none of the USAAF decals of the decals for the cockpit etc.

So, a visit to the internet shops and I fill my basket with barrels, wheels, radio room, and cockpit etch set, coming to the grand total of £65!

Or, I can go down my local Model Zone and pick up a 1:72 Revell Memphis Bell for £19.99!

Of course, the benefit of getting Revell's 'F' is that there is so much more detail the kit has over Academy's 'E'. The only thing that I have to change of the F

is the nose and I will be using the earlier propellers from the E kit.

So, there remains two new things that I need to do to this kit that I have not done before in the hobby. 'Home' vac-form the nose of the Academy E and, make my own decals to get the right type of text for Birmingham Blitzkrieg.

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

Some paint has actually found it's way onto the build.

Here are the 4 engines, which are a much better representation than the Academy offering.....

IMG_1001.jpg

here is a bulkhead for the radio room.

IMG_1003.jpg

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help guys.

The early B-17E's had U.S. Army in large letters on the undersides of the wings. I can't seem to find

any decals to replicate this on my build.

Do you guys know where I can source some from?

Cheers

Deacon

Maybee from a 1/48 fighter?! I don't know if they match.

Cheers,

Thanks. That's a good idea and I'll look into that.

Just a couple of shots showing what I am doing with this build.

The first is some of the glazing masked off....

IMG_1107.jpg

of course the nose isn't shown and the top turret has far more framework on the E/F marks then on the G, so the

Eduard masks aren't much use.

The next shot shows the fuselage closed (but not glued)....

IMG_1108.jpg.

I'm struggling with this build. Since picking up the hobby again in 2008, I have built just 3 bombers. A Stirling, a Victor and a B1-B. Being used to quick builds, the B-17 is becoming a chore as all the interior has to be finished, especially the turrets, before the fusleage is closed.

Having said that, the Revell kit is stunning in both details and engineering. I have already bought two more kits!

Cheers

Deacon

Edited by Deacon