which squadrons flew spitfire mk2 s in the Battle of britain?

PaulR

Am thinking of building a spitfire mk2 in Battle of Britain colours, but my references are a bit hazy when these were delivered and to which squadrons. Might anyone be able to advise?

Cheers, Paul

Production on the Spitfire MK II started at the Castle Bromwich factory in June 1940 and the first ones were delivered to 611 Squadron in August that year.

"In August 1940 the first Spitfire IIs went to No 611 Sqn at Digby, and during the following month Nos 19, 74 and 266 Sqns received the new variant. From then on the Mark II replaced the Mark I in several units, the sqadrons equipped with the former being concentrated in south-east England where the fighting was heaviest." The Legendary Spitfire MkI/II 1939-41 Osprey Aviation p21

If you are interested in the early Spits this book is very useful. There are dozens on EBay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spitfire-Mk-I-1939-41-Osprey-Aircraft/dp/1855326272

Hope this helps

Edited by dadgaddad

611 was first, as already reported, from about the 14th of August. They were at Digby or Tern Hill. [First operational use on 16th, several damaged on 21st, but (I think) first full combat loss on 11 September]

266 from about 5/6 Sept, at Wittering [also one loss on 11th, and a kill on the 7th- not wasting any time!]

74 from 10th, Coltishall (to Biggin Hill in Oct) [one loss 23rd]

These are the only 3 Mk.IIs listed in "Fighter Command Losses" for month of September; by contrast, 17 losses shown for October, with only 4 earlier than the 20th; during this time there are surprisingly few other write-offs of Mk.IIs, though there may also be some damaged enough to be out of action for a while- I didn't really look at that.

19 Squadron from 26 September, Fowlmere

66 and their spinoff 421 Flight began to get IIs in early Oct, but don't seem to have fully equipped (66, at least) until later in the month. (Gravesend, to West Malling at the end of the month, and to Biggin Hill in Nov)

Also in October, 611 traded theirs to 41 and 266 traded to 603, both of the receiving squadrons at Hornchurch.

Thus, Mk.IIs were not present in 11 Group until October.  No further squadrons equipped (or exchanged) onto the Mk.II until January.

bob

p.s. Note that all of these are 8-gun airplanes, no IIbs. And if your prospective markings have the Sky aft fuselage band, they aren't Battle of Britain period!

Edited by gingerbob
to add a bit of information about losses and locations

Any comments on Revell's 1/48 Mk.II? Or should I "do not pass go, go directly to" Tamiya? I've built a number of the Tamiya Spitfires (one Mk.I converted to K5054) and two or three Mk.Vs) and really enjoyed them, but curiosity has reared it's ugly head… :mental:

Personally, I would say the 1/48 Mk I, IA, II kit (the red box, as the gray/silver box were only for Mk I variants) would be a good choice to go with, given that it has options to do it as everything from a Watts 2 blade prop pre-war Spit to something from the BoB front line. And you've got plenty of canopy bits that you can mix and match with as well. Short of that, Tamiya. The Revell kit was okay for its time even without the inverted gull wing segment in the rear/bottom area. But it is a 30 year old kit and shows its age.