Painting an Academy 1:72 F-22A

Jasonb13

Hi there,

This is my next build, all I've done is put Klear on the canopy so far, but I'm already hitting a stumbling block!

In what can only be called stupidity in these days of excellent kits / instructions, Academy have made a mess of their painting instructions. Sure, they list what paints you need. But while the construction instructions show you most of the colours you need while building ( but only most, and there are some mistakes - they seem to suggest that some of the weapon bay is black and some of it is white ), the decal / painting instructions only mention the paints for the missiles, and don't mention the paints for the actual airframe at all.

So, you get instructions showing you the camo pattern, and they even tell you that the masked line of some shade of grey around the wing edges should be 4.2mm deep, but they don't tell you which shade it should be!

From what I can see on the instructions, there are a few distinct colours. There is the colour under the aircraft, the colour of all the leading / trailing edges, the colour in the intakes ( possibly the same as the leading edges ), the colour of the nose cone and then the two camo colours on the upper half of the airframe ( a base coat of a lighter grey and then 'blobs' of a darker grey ).

Has anyone got this kit, and are their instructions the same? Assuming they are, does anyone know if the 1:48 instructions from Academy are clearer? Or should I look at instructions from a different manufacturer?

Thanks...

J.

I have both kits and the diagrams are identical, just more detailed in paint call-outs for the 1/48th version. Here's a pretty good build that has alternate paint ideas:

http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/FR-Ac-Academy-F.22Raptor-1.48scale.pdf

I haven't built either of mine yet since I'm afraid to start painting! All of the F-22's I've seen in person seem to change color as you move around them...

Hope that helps a little bit!

Edited by Bubba Kingfloat

Thanks for your replies! That's an excellent idea of yours Vincent, especially as I paint with Revell paints. :) Another of their sites ( the German one ) has the Instructions for the F-22 with Revell Paint numbers, so that'll come in handy.

And thanks for that article Bubba. Along with another one I've got from a fellow Britmodeller, I definitely have a much better idea how to paint this thing. I won't be able to reproduce the 'different colours from different angles' effect, but if I can get the two main shades of grey looking metallic I'll be happy!

J.

I have an F-22 to build and am considering "dusting" a light coat of alclad over the top of the greys and then toning it down with a coat of Klear,

Alternatives I have include mixing klear with a small amount of silver to give a weak suspension of metallic to use as a varnish/satin coat.

Good luck

Col'

Thanks Col'. The basic issue I was having is the paint instructions that come with the kit don't tell you which greys to use where. But a secondary issue ( with all F-22s ) is how to get that 'sheen'. I was thinking of mixing some silver with the two camo greys, but maybe mixing it with Klear for the top coat might work as well! The only thing to be careful about there is that ( as far as I know ) the leading / trailing edge grey and radome etc. don't have the 'sheen', only the two main camo colours do, so I'd have to keep the silver-Klear off those sections.

Thanks!

J.

If you plan to try the metallic paintjob on a Raptor, ARC has a tutorial by Mark S from a few years ago that covers how he did it with Testors Model Master enamels. While it may not be possible to duplicate 100% what he did with other brands, I'll bet one could get pretty close:

http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt151-F-22-painting/00.shtm

Gunze did make a couple Raptor specific metallic color shades for the Hasegawa 1/48 Raptor kit, but access to them will depend on what importer you can acquire them from. I thought about getting some myself, but I may just go ahead and try the Mark S method since I can get the colors where I live easily.

Another great article, thanks! Now that I know what paints Revell recommend and for what sections, I'll see what I can do about the sheen. I reckon mixing some silver in with either the paints themselves or the Klear coat should give some sort of metallic effect. Thanks...

J.

I'm 2/3rds through mine, painted all the basic shades, but have used 2 references - one online and the other an article in a magazine. The latter gives colour ref numbers for Model master I believe, but I used greys that looked about right (I mixed the darker grey myself despite the article saying that Dark Mod Grey was the colour of choice, wasn't dark enough for me!) The next step, when I get back to it, is to mix up a 1:1:1 covering of Alclad pale gold, aluminium and light sheen for the bottom, and for the top the same but with barely any gold. Will post pics when it's done

Absolute gaff on Academy's part and I can't believe they haven't corrected it yet! Someone must have told them, or the proof reader was off that day??

• 2 weeks later...

Another question about this! According to the instructions ( both the Academy ones, and the Revell ones online ) the insides of the intakes are painted white.

However, also according to both instructions, the 'entrance' to the intakes ( if that makes sense ) are painted the light grey ( same colour as the leading edges of the wings etc. ).

I haven't been able to find any decent pics that shows where the inside of the intakes goes from Light Grey to White, and what shape the demarcation line takes ( i.e. is it a straight line on all four sides of the inside of the intake, is it angled etc. ). Any ideas?

Even ignoring the 'metallic' paint issue, this really is the most challenging paint scheme! :)

J.