Thanks to my wonderful wife, I have a new modelling project!

Vulcan1.jpg

I have ordered some after market goodies to go with her (The model, not my wife!)

but in the mean time I have started work.

I have started to scribe the panel lines;

Vulcan2.jpg

Tools of the trade are a steel ruler, a set of etched templates, an Olfa P cutter, and a compass needle mounted in a pin vice.

I prefer the compass needle over the P cutter as it digs finer trenches and I can control it better.

Vulcan3.jpg

So far I have done the top and bottom halves of the fuselage.

Vulcan4.jpg

The top half has been engraved and polished, the bottom half still needs to be polished.

Vulcan5.jpg

To try and save some pennies on the after market goodies, thus keeping the little lady sweet, I have taken on

the kit's intakes to make them seemless and save on resin ones.

Once cemented together with copious amounts of Revell's Contacta cement, they were firmly clamped and left for 24 hours.

I then mixed Humbrol's model filler with their liquid poly and brushed it all over the joints.

Once set for another 24 hours, I sanded away with various grades of wet and dry untill it was all seemless.

A couple of cotes of Tamiya's fine white primer, and......

Vulcan6.jpg

Vulcan7.jpg

Once the primer has dried thoroughly, yet another 24 hours, I will use fine wet and dry to achieve a smooth finish.

I had already gathered some reference material, here's a small selection;

Vulcan8.jpg

And, I had a set of decals ready and waiting. I will paint her as one of these two, not decided yet.

Vulcan9.jpg

While studying the plans that came with the Warpaint book, I made a fatal error, I placed the parts against the drawings! :banghead::suicide:

Vulcan11.jpg

Vulcan10.jpg

Would any expert on the Vulcan like to pass comment please? :weep:

Thanks for looking! :D

Edited by HL-10

Great tip on mixing the Humbrol filler and liquid cement! I like what you have done with the intakes, I think I will try that with my Vulcan. You clearly do have a wonderful wife if she is buying you nice big kits like this!

Martin

That is looking good. I have also started one of these recently, but I have used a set of seamless intakes, but your idea is just as good. I too have rescribed the panel lines which took me quite a fair while.

I wish you good luck with this one and will be watching in the future. Oh it has to be the 27 Sqn aircraft with the Dumbo tail badge

Great tip on mixing the Humbrol filler and liquid cement! I like what you have done with the intakes, I think I will try that with my Vulcan. You clearly do have a wonderful wife if she is buying you nice big kits like this!

Martin

Hi Martin, I've used Humbrol filler thinned with liquid poly for years.

You can apply it with a fine brush for precision fixes, and on AFVs, its been the starting point for muddy finishes!

With regard to the plans, if it is anything le the Shackleton plans then I would take them with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for that Windy.

It was the first time I encountered any "problems" regarding the shape and dimensions of this kit.

Another worry was how the panel lines and inspection hatch lay out on the plans didn't match the kit either.

I've just found out that WEM are doing sets for this so I may slow down a bit to allow time for them to become available, especially the bomb bay!

Thanks for the comments, they are greatly appreciated.

you may find when you come to put the wings on [so to speak] that you need plenty of filler along the join line. i did when i made mine. however, you have made a good job with the intakes, so using the same idea again should work wonders.

Yes, I know there can be problems here from previous builds, but I have a cunning plan!

I decided to attach the wing halves to their respective parts of the body before bringing the wing and fuselage halves together.

I figure that this way, I can concentrate on getting the fuselage/wing joint sorted and the other joints should fit together with no problems.

This is the work so far:

Vulcan12.jpg

Plenty of clamps to hold it all together, nice and tight as the cement cures;

Vulcan13.jpg

So far the join looks good:

Vulcan14.jpg

Those intakes look good mate. I too love the idea of liquid poly and filler, wouldnt have thought of that myself :-P. As for the tail, i really wouldnt know. But its considerably different. Keep up the good work !

That is a different way of doing the wings that I did not think of, and can't do now as other things are now in the way. Hopefully I won't have too much hassle gluing them to the fuselage when the time comes. Well done and keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Still waiting for the after market parts to arrive so I've been working on other parts.

As I intend to have the entry hatch open and the canopy removeable I thought I would add some basic shapes to the interior

so some details can be seen.

Its not 100% accurate but just represents the basic lay out.

I used the kit's pilots' seats as I've got resin seats on the way.

Vulcan15.jpg

Vulcan16.jpg

I've also removed the kit's intake splitter vane. It is a pain to get the intake right with it in the way, and I am replacing it with a more to

scale card part.

Thanks for looking.

Looking rather good there.

A little aside with the plans shown I have noticed that Wolfpack Design now have a Vulcan B2 update set which includes a new rudder and tail/fuselage end. However since this kit has been around since the early 80s, I have not heard or read anyone say that this area is incorrect.

I have been improving some of the kit parts, actually, I've rplaced them.

First up is the re-fueling probe.

I used a length of surgical steel and a re-fueling probe from Master.

Vulcan17.jpg

I've also made new fuel dump pipes from aluminium tube and more surgical steel tubing:

Vulcan18.jpg

A definate improvement over the kit parts.