Heinkel He 111 question

Arniec

Hi Guys,

I was asked by a friend if I could build a 1/48 Heinkel He 111 H22 (the one with the V1 under the right wing))for him.

He hase got a Big Ed set from Eduard with it. In this set there is a bombbay set.

Now my question is: Did the H22 still use a bombbay or was it sealed and the bombracks removed?!

Cheers

In Peter Smith's "Air-Launched Doodlebugs,the Forgotten Campaign" is an illustration of an H-22 with V-1 attached.

The text says that the "bomb doors" were "faired over". Also evident are steadying arms,sort of sway braces, which steady the wings of the missile and a pneumatic link from near the ventral gondola to the fuselage of the missile.

Cheers

Steve

My references say that about 20 H-22's were built, converted from a mixture of H-6, H-16 and H-20 types. And we can't tell if any of them were already troop carriers, with seats in place of vertical bomb cells, but that would certainly explain bomb doors being faired over.

The max bomb load was about 7,900lb (with rocket assisted take-off), and the fully fueled V-1 weighed about 4,900lb, so it had the capacity even with the bomb cells still fitted.

It must have needed some ballast to maintain trim though...

Thanxs guys,

I am also in the believe that they were removed, but it would be nice if it is confirmed. If it was a model I would build for myself that would be no problem.

I think the bombbay is in the centre of gravity, so if you take something out it would not affect the controles. And every reduction in weight would help the performance of the airplane. Aspecially if you were flying low over the north sea and was a prey for Mosquito nightfighters.

Thanxs guys,

I am also in the believe that they were removed, but it would be nice if it is confirmed. If it was a model I would build for myself that would be no problem.

I think the bombbay is in the centre of gravity, so if you take something out it would not affect the controles. And every reduction in weight would help the performance of the airplane. Aspecially if you were flying low over the north sea and was a prey for Mosquito nightfighters.

Someone please?