1/35 Vickers British Light Tank Mk.VIB

Pappy

G'day people,

I saw the reviews for this little guy and I had to have one. I won't dwell on the plusses and minuses of the kit as these have already been covered in most of the reviews elswhere. I also bought the Eduard PE detail set as well.

I had made a start a month ago but my camera batteries were dead. I had to go on a work related trip and so I wasn't able to update any pics until now, so here is where I am up to.

I began by filling in the ejector pin mark on the underside of the hull

MyHBF3H-2001.jpg

Various bits of and bobs including the leaf spring suspension arms have also been added

The PE details added to the interior

MyHBF3H-2005.jpg

MyHBF3H-2004.jpg

MyHBF3H-2006.jpg

MyHBF3H-2007.jpg

MyHBF3H-2008.jpg

My biggest gripe so far with this kit is that neither the kit of the PE set provides any sort of drivers controls!This is especially notceable if (like me) you intend to leave the drivers entry hatches open. I will have to do something about that.

The other thing that I discovered after adding the inerior PE (and not mentioned by any of the reviewers - grrrr!) was that the drivers compartment was open at the rear so that the fighting compartment could be accessed through a forward slanting opening. The kit has a solid bulkhead instead. I may attempt to add the slanting arched entrance from plastic sheet.

PE was also added to the drivers entry hatches

MyHBF3H-2011.jpg

Work also progressed on the turret

MyHBF3H-2010.jpg

MyHBF3H-2009.jpg

The instructions indicate that the interior needs to be painted in a silver colour. I was doubtful ( I am not a regular armor builder) as I would have though white a more appropriate colour, howvere after asking a few questions of the Britmodeller faithful (refer the WWII armour topic) I was satisfied that silver was indeed commonly applied pre wWWII and that it would be correct for the time period. Righto, off to the paintshop....

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

G-Day to you Pappy.

Great start there mate.

Are you useing the springs or the resin after market one's.

Cheers foxy.

G'day Foxy,

I didn't know there were resin springs, but I will have a lash at the metal springs first.

I think they will look better in any case as the real items were metal springs too?

cheers,

Pappy

Not sure on the Eduard add on, as you will not see much inside.

Due to haveing a driver inplace, but its knowing its there that matters, for most of us,'me to'. :coolio:

Does the Ed have much outside to compliment this Tank.

Like desert stuff. :yahoo:

Not sure on the Eduard add on, as you will not see much inside.

Due to haveing a driver inplace, but its knowing its there that matters, for most of us,'me to'. :coolio:

Does the Ed have much outside to compliment this Tank.

Like desert stuff. :yahoo:

G'day Foxy,

Lots of external bits provided but I am not sure I will all of it as I don't think some of the work is justified for the resultant PE effect. As an example, the 'tray' below the gun mantle on the turret has a PE replacement part provided. I decided that although it would look very delicate, the plastic part would be more robust fro handling and just scraped down the edges to give a thinner appearance, although I did add the PE handle to the left hand side. The majority of the external PE consists of bracket, fenders, handles, tool clamps etc, although there is a substantial component on the right hull side that requires some complex folding and multiple components. I think it i some sort of sand filter? I have begun the folding work but I may solder the item together to get the required strength.

Incidentally, you can look at the PE instructions on the Eduard site, as they are provided in PDF form. This allows the buyer to make an informed decision as to what is provided in each PE set and the relative worth/value of the set. It also means that you can make a start on a kit and leave aside or prepare sub-assemblies that will have PE added.

linky:

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/36203.pdf

cheers,

Pappy

G'day again,

I have painted the drivers compartment.

MyHBF3H-2update1003.jpg

MyHBF3H-2update1002.jpg

MyHBF3H-2update1001.jpg

I painted the drivers rear bulkhead a dark silver metallic grey colour to provide a forced shadow at the rear of the compartment.

The steering levers still need to be scratch built and added.

Meanwhile, I have made the entrance archway that leads into the fighting compartment.

MyHBF3H-2update1004.jpg

I made a simple shape from some .10" plastic card.

MyHBF3H-2update1005.jpg

Test fitting resulted in a nice snug fit.

MyHBF3H-2update1006.jpg

The entrance slants forwards, basically in line with the hull riveting,

MyHBF3H-2update1008.jpg

So, I packed out the upper lip with some scrap strips of plastic strip

MyHBF3H-2update1007.jpg

It is not a perfect solution, as ideally I would have removed the rear compartment bulkhead, but it is an improvement,

cheers,

Pappy

Looking good, what make of kit is it?

The kit is produced by "Vulcan Scale Models". The production quality is very good as is the fit so far. I think this may be the company's first release?

I like the build so far! I must get myself one!

Do it, you will like it. The suspension set up is a bit fiddly as it requires two sizes of scale springs to be installed onto a common shaft and it has scred some people off. Apparently there is a resin alternative available, which would be an easier proposition albeit a slightly less detailed one!

cheers,

Pappy

The kit is produced by "Vulcan Scale Models". The production quality is very good as is the fit so far. I think this may be the company's first release?

Their first kit was a 2lber Anti-Tank gun and a set of crew figures for it.

Malc.

I read an interview with Vulcan and when asked if there will be anymore variants the reply was, "Yes, the Mk VIC is in progress. We also started the designing works for other variants" The Mk VIC is out already so this was an older interview. I would guess the Mk VIA definantly and the AA version would be easy enough for them to do.

Excellent news Bob.

Pappy Vulcan also do motor cycles and side cars, thease were the first plastic kits then came the 2Pdr AT gun as mentioned by malcolm.

Watching with Interest.

Edited by foxy

I have a decent collection of WWII private photographs of BEF Mk VI tanks and shared the photos with Echelon who made realistic decal sets for the Mk VIB kit. I also sent Vulcan a walk around of photos of the BEF Mk VIC that they used for decals. So at least there are some accurate decals for these kits. Finding actual photographs is not easy. On the Mk VIB kit, Vulcan misinterpatated some photos like the rear AoS they put as a white 9 but should be like the front AoS, a white 9 on green. They also missed the front nturret tac sign and the serial should be on a black backing. Here are some photos of the 3rd RTR which landed at Calais, the only regiment that was north of the Somme but not that it ever joined the BEF proper, instead held out in Calais which helped the Dunkirk evacuation. Some tanks from 3rd RTR did get up to Gravelines with supplies but never connected to Dunkirk.

http://i825.photobuc...RTR_C_9B_01.jpg

http://i825.photobuc...RTR_C_9B_03.jpg

http://i825.photobuc...RTR_C_9B_02.jpg

http://i825.photobuc...TR_C_10A_02.jpg

• 1 year later...

The other thing that I discovered after adding the inerior PE (and not mentioned by any of the reviewers - grrrr!) was that the drivers compartment was open at the rear so that the fighting compartment could be accessed through a forward slanting opening.

Really? None of the reviewers mentioned it?

"One will note that, other than a driver's seat and some vertical bulkheads, there is no interior. The driver's rear bulkhead should be at an angle matching the bolt pattern seen on the sides of the hull." From my review dated September 18, 2011.

Do you know if an AA version turret will be in the makeing for this kit.

Will save me scratch building it. :coolio:

No, no plans at the moment from them. They are working on their second STZ-5 tractor as their next release. I spoke to the owner last week.

Regards,