1/32nd scale Boeing B-29 from the ID Models Vacform - FINISHED

I'm looking forward to seeing it completed... and then it's about time you got yourself another vac project... I'm desperate you convert you to the darkside :winkgrin:

Already done, check out my sig :D More on that later though ;)

Edited by Radleigh

I've been tinkering away with the B-29 whilst not working on other builds.

I've scratched the rear crew area, where the master fire controller sat as well as two side gunners/observers who sat next to the blisters on the side of the fuselage, again using plasticard, Evergreen strip and Milliput, as well as a few spare resin items from the spares box.

I've dropped the floor adjacent to the blisters, as the observers' seats had a distinctive foot well and the main floor was higher. I've also scratched the two 'walls' immediately behind the lowered floor, and made the various shelves that will later be furnished with radios and electrical boxes. The raised gunner's seat will be immediately below another large blister on the roof of the fuselage, which he used for sighting the guns - this was made from parts raided from the spares box, plasticard and Milliput.

I've kept the interior to a minimum here, as after a test fit of the blisters everything is very distorted and not much will be visible, especially once a coat of paint has darkened the interior. Also, and perhaps more importantly, is the need to keep weight aft of the mainwheels to an absolute minimum, as she's going to need tons of weight in the nose as it is!

Here is the rear crew area in its current state:

DSCF5748.jpg

DSCF5751.jpg

The tunnel that connects the forward and aft compartments slots into the bulkheads, and once glued will hold everything nice and rigid:

DSCF5753.jpg

A dry fit into the fuselage reveals everything fits as it should:

DSCF5756.jpg

A taste of things to come... the crew tunnel sits nicely along the upper part of the bomb-bay:

DSCF5759.jpg

These last few shots give an idea of the interior as it will be viewed through the 'greenhouse' - the loose detail parts have been left out and as this is a dry fit there are a few gaps, but these will disappear once everything is glued into place:

DSCF5767.jpg

DSCF5766.jpg

Finally, an overall view of the fuselage:

DSCF5770.jpg

I think I'll tackle the tail gunner's area next, before work can commence on the bomb-bay.

Tom

• Like 2

Incredible work!

Just amazing, precise work.

How are you going to glaze the cockpit?

Thanks - and the cockpit will be glazed by adding internal framing and clear acetate cut to shape and dropped in.

I have two options for this:

1) Use the glazing supplied by Tigger Wilkes, and simply cut out the individiual windows which will be curved or...

2) Use flat clear plastic as the real aircraft has flat window panels.

I'll experiment when the time comes and see how each looks...

Fantastic work so far. How big is the beast once complete?

christof

Thanks - it will have a span of 54" (about 1.4m if you're metric) - large!

Fab work. Are you going to do anything to suggest the radar compartment?

Many thanks - and no, probably not. Very little of the interior will be visible anyway, plus it's all extra weight.

Tom

I've done a bit more tonight - the tail turret has had its basic structure completed.

First job was to remove and line the windows for the rear gunner:

DSCF5784.jpg

Next, using parts from the spares box including left over resin items, I've added the gunner's seat, console and gun sight:

DSCF5789.jpg

The large gap on top of the turret is where the rudder was. When the fuselage halves have been joined this will be remedied by adding a plastic card roof which will be blended in with filler. The framing will also be improved by adding further details when all the joins in this area have been made good.

Now it's the part I've been dreading most... the bomb bay.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 1

Now the majority of the crew compartments are done I have turned my attention to the bomb bay.

The first and most important job is the main spar. Being such a huge model this must be a rigid as possible, as just like the real aircraft the entire structure will rely on it being able to support its own weight as well as keep everything strong.

Rather helpfully, there is a main spar provided in the kit. This was removed from the backing plastic, and widened and strengthened considerably using 2mm plastic card:

DSCF5808.jpg

When dry, I cut apertures in the fuselage to allow the main spar to pass through, and check that everything is nice and level. Thankfully, it was:

DSCF5810.jpg

DSCF5811.jpg

With this done, the next job was to scratch the details found on the inner part of the spar. This was done using reference photo's of Enola Gay's bomb bay, as well as images from the B-29 'Doc' and 'Hawg Wild' at Duxford. Each is slightly different, so I've gone for a generic spar. Lots more piping and control wires etc. will need to be added once it is 'in situ':

DSCF5816.jpg

DSCF5818.jpg

Another test fit showed everything lining up nicely:

DSCF5813.jpg

DSCF5814.jpg

Finally, I've got a coat of primer on this evening, and I must say I'm pretty pleased with how it's come out:

DSCF5820.jpg

DSCF5821.jpg

It also felt really good to get some paint on the model. Now I'll be able to continue with the remainder of the bays.

Tom

• Like 1

Almost inspired enough to take up vac form modelling - on the other hand I know I'm far too lazy..

Hats off to you..