1/32nd scale Boeing B-29 from the ID Models Vacform - FINISHED

I've also applied a little weathering to the model. Studying photo's of the Kee Bird showed these aircraft to be clean and well maintained, but B-29s in general threw oil at an alarming rate. This great picture of 'Thumper' shows these oil leaks to good effect (photo used for illustrative purposes only):

If a 3350 wasn't throwing oil all over the place there was something dreadfully wrong with it and that meant that you weren't going flying that day. I'm really looking forward to seeing the nose glazing go on; it looks so unfinished with that great empty hole right up front.

If a 3350 wasn't throwing oil all over the place there was something dreadfully wrong with it and that meant that you weren't going flying that day. I'm really looking forward to seeing the nose glazing go on; it looks so unfinished with that great empty hole right up front.

I've heard a great saying regarding the big Wright radials... "if there ain't any oil on it - there ain't any oil in it!'

I remember walking around the B-17 'Yankee Lady' before I went for a flight in it and it was leaking oil at an alarming rate. The engineer explained that when the engines get up to operating temperature the metal expands and seals the gaps... that was all the reassurance I needed!

I'm waiting on a new nose piece from John Wilkes as my dearly beloved wife-to-be was in the spare room (where the B-29 lives on the spare bed!) and she knocked a clothes dryer over on to it - removing the nose piece which was dry fitted at the time and putting a lovely dent in it which wouldn't come out without cracking the plastic. Thankfully the clear piece took the force of the blow, and only very minor damage was done to the nose... needless to say she scarpered and we didn't speak for a while.

We're due to get married in 7 weeks time... if more damage had been done it may well have been a case of calling off the wedding! ;)

I thought the glazing was going to be a tough one Tom, but again, you've made it look simple ! She's looking great :)

I must say I was pleasantly surprised and how trouble free the glazing was. I'm glad I put the framework in earlier in the build and it worked a treat. I had done it before with my other vac builds such as the 1/32nd Lancaster and B-24, but having such an extensive area to glaze I knew it would be tricky without the framing to rest the clear pieces on. It was then just a case of cutting the acetate to the correct size and securing it in place with glue. The whole process only took about 3 hours which I didn't think was bad going!

I WANT IT!

This is out standing Tom, not long to the finish line now fella

Cheers mate!

Here we go: http://tigger-models.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/welcome-to-tigger-models.html

Treat yourself... you know you want to!

Looking really smart! Can't wait for the next update...

I'm on half term now so hopefully, by the end of the week I'll have her done :)

Tom

Tom,

I've just got to the end of this 28 page thread, it's taken me the best part of an hour to read and was worth every minute...

...all I can say is... ..."WOW"!!!

Very humbled.

Wez

and the goal line is in sight! It's been a real pleasure as a modeler to watch this thing come together. I don't think anyone outside the hobby can truly understand the time and effort you've put into this thing... and it's a testament to the fact that building something of this magnitiude is equal parts creativity and dedication. Certainly worlds away from opening a model box, pouring in the glue, shaking it up, and watching the completed product fall out! If and when I decide to step into the arena that is vacuform modeling, this will certainly serve as an inspiration!

And your significant other should know that damaging your projects could be hazardous to her health! LOL

Edited by Skull Leader

And your significant other should know that damaging your projects could be hazardous to her health! LOL

In any relationship you need to adapt to each other's presence. An easy way is to adopt the philosophy that a broken model is merely an excuse to build another one.

• Like 1

In any relationship you need to adapt to each other's presence. An easy way is to adopt the philosophy that a broken model is merely an excuse to build another one.

naturally my comment was meant in jest. Just for clarification!

Well, she's finally done.

Clear nose has been detailed and painted along with the propellers and final details such as aerials and guns. The finishing touch was a scratch-built crew ladder, added to the nose wheel bay.

Here's a sneak preview...

DSC_0012.jpg

More pictures will be uploaded to 'Ready for Inspection' soon.

It's been a long journey, and thank you for you kind words of encouragement along the way... it's been a pleasure sharing my progress with you all!

Tom

• Like 8

• 3 years later...

Tom, dear sir, I bow in respect.

How does your social circle react to you being a complete madman?

But seriously, brilliant work, I wouldn't even go near a kit like this!