1/32nd scale Boeing B-29 from the ID Models Vacform - FINISHED

Watching this with much interest. I watched the Kee Bird documentary some time ago and I don't think I'd want to watch it again. .

I've been using U-pol Extra polyester filler for a while now and it works well. Good adhesion, easily sanded after half an hour and best of all, cheap compared to fillers marketed for modelling. The only drawbacks are the smell, a very short working time and it's not so easy to apply as Milliput - very gooey.

• Like 1

I've never had a problem with P38 with any of my builds so far, and it is wonderful stuff for filling large areas as it's so easy to sand and I've never experienced any shrinkage as I had with some other fillers. I use it on nearly all of my vacform builds regardless of the scale.

If there is a particularly large area to fill, I often plug the gap with scrap plastic and then put the P38 over the top and blend everything in. I use Miliput more for creating structures, in this case it'll come in handy for making the H2X radome and various other lumps and bumps on the airframe.

Regarding the heat issue - it does get hot! I tend to apply it in thinnish multiple layers and slowly build it up, rather than risk melting the plastic.

And regarding the smell - or rather stentch - the missus hates it so I'm usually sent to the garden! The same applies for the sanding of large areas as the dust can be problematic and get everywhere.

Scratcher - I've not tried U-pol; I may give it go as if it's what you've used on your Bucc it looks the buisiness!

SleeperService - thanks for the info on this - I wonder if it's worth contacting them and seeing if they can do a one off of a scheme in 1/32nd? It'll certainly open a few options for me. I've used their decal sheets before and have been very impressed. I think I'll get in touch with them.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

Sheesh.... Here we are truly at the cathedral of vac form, It will need a cathedral to house it!

There are some really interesting subjects floating around in Vac form, this being one of them, all of which are unfortunately way beyond my patience and skill level.

I will be watching this with awe!

I'm not familiar with this - any more info? Sounds promising.

Hi - well, they make custom masks of any marking scheme you want - essentially they laser cut semi-transparent sheets of vinyl - you attach the vinyl masks to your model - they have a low level of 'tackyness' & can be removed and re-attached until perfect, leaving no residue - you then paint over the masks. They produce ultra-realistic markings because they are painted on, just like the real thing! Ian at Ad Astra is a very accommodating guy & will talk through exactly what you need. As I mentioned, any nose art, squadron badges or things like that will be produced as custom-made decals (of exceptional quality) - all they need are images of what you want. I got an entire set of masks and decals made for my 1/32 F4U Corsair and the total was something like $25 including shipping to the UK!

Anyway here's the website

http://www.adastramasks.com/

I now swear by them - in fact I doubt I will ever use commercially available or kit decals again!

Edited by richdlc

Hi - well, they make custom masks of any marking scheme you want - essentially they laser cut semi-transparent sheets of vinyl - you attach the vinyl masks to your model - they have a low level of 'tackyness' & can be removed and re-attached until perfect, leaving no residue - you then paint over the masks. They produce ultra-realistic markings because they are painted on, just like the real thing! Ian at Ad Astra is a very accommodating guy & will talk through exactly what you need. As I mentioned, any nose art, squadron badges or things like that will be produced as custom-made decals (of exceptional quality) - all they need are images of what you want. I got an entire set of masks and decals made for my 1/32 F4U Corsair and the total was something like $25 including shipping to the UK!

Anyway here's the website

http://www.adastramasks.com/

I now swear by them - in fact I doubt I will ever use commercially available or kit decals again!

Thanks for this info, I'll look into these I think...

Tom

I've been tackling the much-feared flightdeck windows.

The first task was to remove the area for the bombardier's nose glazing. The fuselage was taped together, and the clear nose carefully cut from the backing sheet. This was then placed over the solid plastic nose and the cut line marked. Some careful cutting with a hack-saw followed. This then means that the clear piece fits perfectly, and can therefore be added in the last stages of the build:

DSCF5505.jpg

Next, doing some careful scaling up calculations and following of plans, pictures and diagrams, the windows were marked onto the fuselage in preparation for cutting out with a new exacto blade. To make this process easier, I drilled small pilot holes around the perimeter of the windows, and then sliced between these to ease the cutting process and thus reduce the stress on the plastic around the thin frames:

DSCF5512.jpg

Each of the windows are about 1mm too large at this stage, as I will be adding an internal frame to each one to gain the characteristic rounded corners on each window. I did this with the nose windows on my Combat 1/32nd B-17F build and it worked really well. This will also mean that I can correct any irregularities on each window (which is almost impossible not to have when cutting on concurved shapes by hand) and make sure they are perfectly regular in size and shape - I'll explain more of this process when it has been completed.

Here is the right side so far; here you can see the windows are slightly over-sized and far from perfect at this stage:

DSCF5515.jpg

I'm hopoing to complete the windows tomorrow, so all being well I'll update you again soon.

Thanks again for the interest and support chaps!

Tom

• Like 2

Nearly there now Tom :lol:

I can but admire and learn, you're keeping most of Britmodeller on the edge of their seats with this. If it turns out half as good as your Lanc, it's gonna be a beauty.

Thanks Woody... hopefully she'll not disappoint...

Tom

I really don't envy you for doing it like that but fair play, Will look great when done! I got my Sanger IL-76 out last night to look at the glazing, Going to be a tough one I think.

I've had a productive shift on the B-29 and the flightdeck windows are now reasonably complete.

First of all the cutting out on the left side of the fuselage was completed:

DSCF5514.jpg

Next I added the frames from Evergreen strip. This allowed the windows to be reduced to the correct size and allowed for neat and regular corners to be added:

DSCF5517.jpg

The small gaps in the corners were then filled with a mixture of super glue and filler:

DSCF5523.jpg

When dry, everything was sanded in and hey presto:

DSCF5525.jpg

DSCF5526.jpg

DSCF5527.jpg

DSCF5528.jpg

A little more neatenting up required, but on the whole I'm pleased with how they have come out - and very glad this part is done!

Here's the current state of the model:

DSCF5513.jpg

I've also cut out the fuselage observation blisters and removed the bomb doors. The tail turret windows will be done at a later stage when I tackle this area.

It's starting to look like a Superfortress now :thumbsup:

Next it'll be the internal bulkheads and commencing of some interior work.

So far, so good!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 2

Hi Tom.

Looking great, I think that you will have to warn the club committee before you bring the finished article to club-night, so that they can strengthen the display table. May be a little late but did you know that Modelzone have got a sale on some of their packs of Evergreen strip.

Robin.

• Like 1

Hi Tom.

Looking great, I think that you will have to warn the club committee before you bring the finished article to club-night, so that they can strengthen the display table. May be a little late but did you know that Modelzone have got a sale on some of their packs of Evergreen strip.

Robin.

Thanks for that info Robin - I'll need loads of the stuff so will stock up whenever I can!

I'll bring her along to the next meeting, so clear a table :winkgrin:

I just remembered I took lots of pics of the Duxford B-29 at an airshow there last year - do you want them?

That's a very kind offer, but I've recently done the same! I've also got many pictures of FIFI, Enola Gay and Bockscar too, so should be ok for references. I'll bear your offer in mind though if I get stuck with anything.

Cheers,

Tom

I've been doing some tinkering with the interior of the B-29, namely working out the size and position of the interior bulkheads and floors.

The two main areas to receive attention first will be the cockpit, containg the two pilots, bombardier, radio operator/engineer and navigator stations. The other will be the rear gunners' station, which is positioned immediately aft of the bomb bay, which includes the master gunner positions and two further gunner areas where the waist observation blisters are positioned.

The first job was to construct the basic shapes of these crew areas; the forward area is uppermost in this picture, and the rear compartment is lower:

DSCF5530.jpg

DSCF5531.jpg

I've used thick 2mm plastic sheet for structual strength, and have included plenty of bracing to keep everything rigid. The nose gear bay is immediately below the flightdeck floor, and there is a crew entry door in the roof of the bay/floor of the flightdeck which I think I will open up. I've also drawn on the position of the crew areas in preparation for the addition of these details, which will all have to be scratch-built:

DSCF5540.jpg

I've also added some further bulkheads further aft, which will provide much needed additional strength:

DSCF5529.jpg

My next job will be to scratch build the pressurised crew tunnel which connects the forward and rear crew stations, and my plan is to use some plastic piping which will be rigid enough to provide lateral strength through the bomb bay and keep everything nicely in line.

I'll update you again when I've made some progress on the crew areas, which is going to be long job! :banghead:

Tom

• Like 1