1/32nd scale Boeing B-29 from the ID Models Vacform - FINISHED

Hi Tom,

Do you scribe the panel lines before you put it all together?

Yes and no... the fuselage was scribed when joined together to ensure the panel lines matched up on either half.

The wings will be done before they are together as it's far easier to work on them when they can be put on a flat surface. If glued together, the curve (and the sheer size!) of the wing would make it far more difficult. Also, as vacform plastic is a lot softer and more flexible than injection-molded kits, there's a risk of it splitting along the join lines if too much pressure is applied.

This way, all I'll have to do is rescribe where I've filled the joints - this will be far easier.

Tom

A little more progress to report on the B-29.

Since my last update I have scribed the wings using a dental scribe and a PP Models 'bendy ruler'. I followed the panel detail on the Monogram 1/48th kit, as well as some detailed plans from Detail and Scale:

DSCF7308_zps6443ad69.jpg

There are many vents and outlets on the nacelles, so I have scratch built these in the correct positions again using the plans I have and the Monogram kit to help me. This picture also shows some of my scribing efforts to good effect:

DSCF7311_zps633292dd.jpg

There are many more vents and grills to add to the lower half of the nacelles, but these would be obliterated during the filling and sanding of the joins so I will add these finer details when the joins have been made good. The same applies for the panel details on the nacelles themselves.

On the lower wing surfaces there are what I can only presume are strengthening areas which are raised and very prominent on the real aircraft, so I cut these so size (all 40+ of them!) from very thin plastic card and added them to the wings - they just need a fine sanding to reduce them to a scale height once some primer has been applied. I've also made and added the aileron hinges from more thin card, and you can just see them in the photo with some filler to blend them nicely into the wing itself:

DSCF7317_zps30a9c120.jpg

And here we are now - all scribed and detailed and ready to be joined:

DSCF7305_zps71c85642.jpg

Once the wings are together and the joins made good the fun will really start... getting these monster wings mated to the fuselage.

Tom

Yes and no... the fuselage was scribed when joined together to ensure the panel lines matched up on either half.

The wings will be done before they are together as it's far easier to work on them when they can be put on a flat surface. If glued together, the curve (and the sheer size!) of the wing would make it far more difficult. Also, as vacform plastic is a lot softer and more flexible than injection-molded kits, there's a risk of it splitting along the join lines if too much pressure is applied.

This way, all I'll have to do is rescribe where I've filled the joints - this will be far easier.

Tom

Cheers Tom, I need to taken note on this. ;)

Nice job on the update too :)

I really can't wait for you to finish this one. Bold words, but this may very well be my favourite WIP ever, and I'm notoriously hopeless at picking favourites. It's mad, and you're doing a wonderful job of it, nuff said. :thumbsup:

:mike:

Odd.

I`m new around here Tom and i think that your job is absolutely amazing!!!

Somebody said you don`t need luck... for what i`ve seen, you don`t even need scale models...

All the best, your new fan.

Adrian

Thanks once again for your kind comments gents :)

I've filled, sanded and almost finished the wings now, so I am thinking about attaching them to the fuselage.

The spars provide a very strong structure, and hold the wings in place well with the correct dihedral which is an added bonus!

The point where the wings and fuselage meet on the upper surfaces is pretty good - all that'll be needed here is a bit of filler and a rescribe of the detail I added earlier on in the build:

DSCF7319_zps2d60c87d.jpg

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the lower surfaces - there is something resembling the Marianas Trench here!:

DSCF7322_zpse982dd5f.jpg

This is why, when asked previously if the wings would be made detachable and the answer was a resounding 'no'! :banghead:

However, this is why I love models like this... there's always a challenge to overcome...

My plan is as follows:

1) Get some angled Evergreen strip:

DSCF7326_zps3d0bb837.jpg

2) Cut it to size and attach it to the lower surfaces of the wing-root, making sure it follows the curvature of the wing:

DSCF7324_zps74c5728d.jpg

This will then plug the gap nicely, and enable me to attach the lower wing surface securely. I'll also be a good base for the filler to adhere to and help fill the hole. The remaining areas will then be filled and built out with scrap plastic and blended in with filler... he says hoping for the best!

Watch this space for the second installment - hopefully sometime later this week...

Tom

Well it's been a very productive day at the B-29 factory... I mean workbench...

The wings are on!

DSCF7331_zps74c2565c.jpg

DSCF7334_zps6eae3ef5.jpg

This didn't prove as problematical as I had first feared it would be when starting this build, in fact, all went rather well.

Once the wings were slid over the main spars (which were coated in slow drying poly-cement to aid alignment) the top joins were pretty good. Not Tamiya quality by any stretch of the imagination, but a simple shim of Evergreen strip applied along the join has meant a very snug fit with only minimal filler needing to be applied:

DSCF7328_zpsdaef6a72.jpg

The lower join was more problematical, with some serious gaps needing to be addressed. Once the wings were at the correct dihedral and perfectly perpendicular to the fuselage centre line, I added shims of scrap plastic in the gap which had bridged it nicely. I also flooded the joins with CA glue and poly-cement, and this will provide an excellent base for the car body filler to be worked into to provide additional strength:

DSCF7329_zpse51f19bd.jpg

DSCF7335_zpsebce97c4.jpg

This has provided a very rigid wing structure, and with the strengthened main spar I made from earlier in the build, the model can easily be picked up by the wing-tips and 'bounced' without a problem - wing flex just like the real thing!

She'll now be left over night for the glue to cure properly before I'll commence on more filling tomorrow.

Tom

Stunning work as usual Tom, this has been a bit of a masterclass in vac-form building and this and your Shackleton build were enough of a kick up the bum to tempt me to try my hand at a vac-form (Dynavector Wyvern) and the stuff you've been showing in these builds has been a huge help!

Keep up the great work!

Nik

Stunning work as usual Tom, this has been a bit of a masterclass in vac-form building and this and your Shackleton build were enough of a kick up the bum to tempt me to try my hand at a vac-form (Dynavector Wyvern) and the stuff you've been showing in these builds has been a huge help!

Keep up the great work!

Nik

Nik,

Many thanks - and it's great to hear you've joined the dark side of modelling! You can't get much better than Dynavector to get started on either - have you set up a WIP?

Tom

Nik,

Many thanks - and it's great to hear you've joined the dark side of modelling! You can't get much better than Dynavector to get started on either - have you set up a WIP?

Tom

Tom,

Agreed, the Dynavector vacs are absolutely brilliant, the ideal starting point for a first foray over to the dark side. I have to admit I'm absolutely loving it as well! So much so that I sourced one of their Scimitars as well for my next vac project. Then I'm considering tackling something a bit larger like one of the Sanger Shackletons or possibly their B-47!

I hadn't set up a WIP, mainly because my build speed at the moment could best be described as glacial as a result of work and a pending FAA application. I have photographed all my stages of the build though, so I might start one up in the hope that it gives me a bit of a kick to get things finished!

Nik

the model can easily be picked up by the wing-tips and 'bounced' without a problem

I don't do that any more, the more they bounce the more enthusiastic I get, that is until something goes pinging off. <-- Double entendre much?

Cracking work Tom, have you made any more thought/progress engine wise?

Odd.

Edited by Oddball

Cracking work Tom, have you made any more thought/progress engine wise?

Odd.

Thank you :)

The engines are all sorted thanks to resin copies of the ZM Skyraider engine which are very similar to the B-29 powerplants. Once inside the cowling very little other than the reduction gear housing is visible, so they should look fine once I've added the push-rods etc.

I've also sourced some Curtis-Electric reversible pitch props which Kee Bird had too so all is progressing well in that department.

Hi Tom,

Have only just found this thread, all i can say is UNF@#&KEN believable!!!!

:wow::gobsmacked::mike:

I just did think they made anything this big!!! :yikes:

Years ago (+30) I built a few Rareplane Vacform models (still have two hidden away), one was an YB-17, still have it. Sort of gave up, was very impatient when building! But reading/watching thisbuild........... I just may have to dig the hidden ones (Short Sturgeon Target Tug & a Bristol Bombay, both 1/72nd) out and get to it. :hmmm:

But a truly an amazing effort, am in total awe!!!!!

Years ago (+30) I built a few Rareplane Vacform models (still have two hidden away), one was an YB-17, still have it. Sort of gave up, was very impatient when building! But reading/watching thisbuild........... I just may have to dig the hidden ones (Short Sturgeon Target Tug & a Bristol Bombay, both 1/72nd) out and get to it. :hmmm:

But a truly an amazing effort, am in total awe!!!!!

Many thanks!

I'm glad this is inspiring you to get back into vacs - this is the main reason I post my progress as it really is not as hard as people think. Hopefully people will see some of my techniques (and what not to do!) and give a kit like this a go.

I'm slowly but surely converting a few of you out there to the 'dark side' which is great as I worry that vacform building is becoming a dying art :weep:

Tom

I'm slowly but surely converting a few of you out there to the 'dark side' which is great as I worry that vacform building is becoming a dying art :weep:

Tom

Well Tom, since seeing your Shackleton I've started 3 vacs, 1 nearly done (Seawolf ;) ) and 2 plodding on nicely! Vacs are superb and I just wish I started on them years ago!

Rad

• Like 1