1/32nd scale Boeing B-29 from the ID Models Vacform - FINISHED

Strewth....!!! :blink:

This should be good - even if it may take a while....!!

As for nose art, If I could ever contemplate building one of these I think I'd have to go for Bocks Car - if only because it's just so non-P.C....!!

Keef

First of all - wow! Thanks for the interest everyone!

Hi

I have seen a lot of people starting ID Models vacforms - but I don't quite recall seeing any of them actually finished? To call the parts 'rough' must be the understatement of the milennium. Yes it looks like a B-29 - but to build it so that it will look even remotely acceptable compared to say the Monogram kit will take ages and a lot of scratchbuilding in the process. I would say - build the Monogram kit first to get the feel of the aircraft and see how long that takes and then go on to the ID Models kit if you still feel for it. Just a thought.

Best regards

Flemming

Regarding ID Vacs, I have build many basic vacforms over the years, including some from ID Models, and have completed the Lancaster in 1/32nd scale:

P1000595.jpg

P1000594.jpg

This model was also incredibly basic, and as others have said these types of kits provide a blank canvass for the modeller to make of it what they like.

I must admit I enjoy vacs more than any other medium; they test and develop your skills no end and provide a wonderful opportunity for some good old fashioned scratch building work, which the Lanc above was about 75%!

I find them much more rewarding than a 'throw the paint and glue in the box, give it a shake and out it comes' type builds. Not to say there's nothing wrong with run of the mill injection molded kits and that is not in the least bit a derogatory comment - they're great - but I challenge anyone to have a go at a vacform and you'll not regret it...

On to colour schemes... well you chaps have put a lot of ideas out there. The main problem is a complete lack of any decals, both with the kit and aftermarket. I really like B-29s with black undersides, so a Korean War bird would not be off the cards... although my heart is leaning towards Kee Bird.

I've actually cut some plastic; one fuselage half is out of the backing plastic and has been sanded. The other half is the next objective and when done I'll add the first pictoral update.

Thanks for all the comments and interest - something tells me I'm going to need it on this build :winkgrin:

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 2

I'm confident Tom will have it finished for next week looking as mighty in quality as it is in size :)

If only Woody... I think thisone may well take a little longer than previous efforts... :banghead:

What worried me most about the ID B-29 was getting all that glazing done neatly - that's probably the main reason I started the Connie rather than the '29...

IIRC the B-29 was one of the most accurate ID vacs and is a great project - we have every faith in you Tom!!! :)

Iain

Speaking of markings, I'm another supporter of korean war B-29s ! Some of them wore absolutely incredible nose arts. and the combination of postwar usaf markings and black undersuraces added some interesting colour.

For the decals, experimenting with some decal paper and your home printer is IMHO the best thing to do, if you haven't already done this before (and judging by your great builds I'd be surprised if you haven't).

but I challenge anyone to have a go at a vacform and you'll not regret it...

On to colour schemes... well you chaps have put a lot of ideas out there. The main problem is a complete lack of any decals, both with the kit and aftermarket. I really like B-29s with black undersides, so a Korean War bird would not be off the cards... although my heart is leaning towards Kee Bird.

I've actually cut some plastic; one fuselage half is out of the backing plastic and has been sanded. The other half is the next objective and when done I'll add the first pictoral update.

Tom

I can agree here, If it wasn't for Tom I would still be toying with doing a vac! (Still half way through doing the Seawolf...) But I have to agree they are great, so much so I've got another on the pile to do very soon! :)

I was thinking of the B-29 with black undersides, I think it's the best scheme ever to grace a B-29... ;)

I doff my metaphorical hat to you Sir. Good Luck and Godspeed with this. I personally doubt your sanity but doubt mine even more :winkgrin: That Lancaster is lovely as well.

@Hammer Tim, Thanks for that I've very similar memories myself. I'm off to try and find the film now. I'm sure it was the part where the guy drops onto his knees as the fire takes hold that gutted me. Hopefully there's a decal sheet out there that can be upscaled if Tim goes with that scheme.

I'm going to be watching this one - I like a bit of scratch building myself, but never more than two engines or bigger than 1/72! If we see a global putty shortage in the next few months at least we will know why...

Regards,

Adrian

re: markings again - I've used Ad Astra masks before & they are great - they will basically make any design you choose, and any squadron badges/nose art/markings are custom made decals to your specification

I built the Aeroclub 1/48 Meteor F8 many years ago and enjoyed it. Vac form is different but rewarding.

Going to keep an eye on this. Looks like it will be interesting. :popcorn:

Christof

After what seemed like hours with the wet and dry paper, the fuselage has been removed from the backing plastic. I've removed the rudder too as I want to pose this at a slight deflection:

DSCF5501.jpg

Again, here is a size comparison alongside the Monogram 1/48th kit's fuselage:

DSCF5503.jpg

The fuselage halves are identical in length and radius which is a massive bonus - I imagine molding something this big must be rather problematical regarding warping etc, but this example is spot on much to my relief.

I've also done some shopping today, with Evergreen strip (every scratch-builder's best friend :winkgrin: ) a new tub of car body filler along with my trusty Milliput.

DSCF5520.jpg

Now the fuselage is sanded and ready, my first task is going to be cutting out the cockpit windows and other glazed areas. I'm not looking forward to this part at all to be honest. I was initially going to just add the transparent parts by removing the whole of the front glazed area, but have decided against this as it will be extremely difficult to get a respectable join. Instead, I'm going to remove each individual glass piece on the flightdeck, leaving the framework, afterwhich I can cut clear pieces from the transparencies I've got and 'drop' them in individually. It's going to mean a lot of work, not to mention meticulous measuring, drilling and cutting, but I think it will be worth it in the end. The clear nose can then be cut to shape and added later.

I've also been doing a little more research into a colour scheme, and came across this image of The Kee Bird in formation with some of her companions sometime in 1946:

Kee_Bird_flying_in_formation.png

I think she'll look stunning with the bright red areas contrasting with the natural metal and black undersides, but we'll see.

Now it's on to windows, windows, and more bloody windows... :banghead:

Tom

• Like 1

re: markings again - I've used Ad Astra masks before & they are great - they will basically make any design you choose, and any squadron badges/nose art/markings are custom made decals to your specification

I'm not familiar with this - any more info? Sounds promising.

Kee Bird looks lovely! Nice colours too.

It's a shame the front end couldn't be vacformed in a clear plastic to give you a bullet, then once the fuse is joined, the front clear part then gets added. Would be a ball ache though getting a cockpit in doing it that way :bangin: ?

Tom, how does the car body filler go with the plastic? I've always been worried that it would get to hot and reform the plastic? I've got tonnes of P38......!

Edited by Radleigh

P38 works well with styrene - used it on the Lightning parts (fuselage underside).

Never had problem with heat and it sands more easily than Milliput - but use latter where more strength needed.

Edit: In fact - I'll prolly be giving the Constellation wings a skim of P38 this evening.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Agree about P-38 but be aware that once opened it does have a shelf life. After a couple of months it's ability to stick to plastic (or fibre glass resin) seems to deterioate quite rapidly. The modern Plastic padding is, in my opinion, useless as it's adhesion is poor to start with.

Admittedly the above is based on my car repair experience rather than model making. As for the smell Radleigh, get into the garden, or shed if it's raining :hypnotised:

There is a new Kee Bird sheet coming from these guys in 48th

http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=7&SUB=3&THISPAGE=2&RADIOSORT=4&SUPPLIERSCHOICE=&RNZ=617899

if you decide to do this scheme the instructions could be a good help.

EDIT: Sorry for the edits today, brain not working too well as too much beer last night.

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 1