1/32 EE Lightning

Mr B

Hi Folks

On to the next one ............this is going to be a 1/32 F.6 based on Operation Hydraulic......."A flight by 13 Lightning F. Mk 6s of No74 Sqn from RAF Leuchers to their new base at RAF Tengah in June 1967, commanded by Wg Cdr K J Goodwin"

Some history close to my home........so thought of giving it a go.........hopefully a fast build too........but the Aries pit looks like a kit on its own right.......with fiddy P.E bits.........and it meets with my local g/b cold war subject so......

To the starting line .....

start.jpg

mock.jpg

Its a big fellow.........I am not too sure about the accuracy of the Trumpeter kit .....but it looks like a Lightning to me so ..........will be mainly OOB for the Lightning gurus........my apologies before hand..........

Wish me luck

Best Regards

Mr B

Hi

I'm also just starting a 1/32 Trumpeter lightning F6 inbetween waiting for my main project an F4 phantom to dry after adding the od bit. My subject matter is XP693 natural metal finish maybe in 74 or 56 sqdn marks . I'll watch this build closely. No doubt some one will let you know how bad this kit is . But keep with it ive built 3 up to now and they all look good to me.

Dave

If I remember correctly, the worst part of the kit is the rear fuselage just forward of the exhausts. I think someone does a correction part for this.

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Dave- Much Obliged........

Thanks Martin - I do not think of any major mods for this build......at the moment.......just a fairly OOB with the exemption of the cockpit and decals.......too much work involved ....and the build "q" is long .....

Anyways started on the resin pit........took off all the casting blocks and started on the P.E harness......once again .......going for the simplifed version.......as its too fiddy for my big paws........:)

Hope to get some paint on this weekend........and maybe then can get the rest of the build moving.........by the way does anyone know or share a close match via gunze paints for the Lightning cockpit colours ? ...the kit instructions does not have any colour call outs.........I believe the seat frame is black......

If not might have to dig out the Airfix kit and match up from there......might even go for that as a twin build........

Rgds

Mr B

Got some progress

Cockpit all done and the halfs are together............but having problems with my compressor.....some times it does not start back after the tank is empty...........maybe its time for a new one.........or a repair...........

Anyways here goes............

floor.jpg

The tub all done up........very nice casting provided by Aires.....

harness.jpg

Seat and my harness....had to go the simple way ....just too problemetic..... :P

panel.jpg

The completed panel.....with the instruments.........

insitu.jpg

Buttoned up......very good fit .....but some small gaps here and there.......that front portion needs major fillings on the Instrument shroud........

Fairly straigforward...........will make a decesion on my compressor soon..........and hope to get the wings and complete air frame soon........

Best Regards

Mr B

Mr B.

Sorry to tell you this, but you appear to have the shoulder straps coming out of the headbox of the seat, this is wrong. They should be coming out of the parachute pack in the back of the seat. you have the straps is where the seat face screen firing handle should be.

The cockpit looks great - sort the seats straps out and you'll have a winner! Thought I'd better point out though--the decals you have there are for an F1, 74 Sqn were the first front line Squadron to fly the Frightening in 1960, following that the markings changed considerably, initially when converting to the F3, with larger assymetrical 'Tiger' stripes either side of the roundel, and then onto the F6 - with a much smaller Tiger's head on the fin.........

Thanks guys....for the kind words......

Mr Bill - Thanks for the note on the decals. Hmmm might just have to go with an OOB scheme or just wing it with the decals that I have.........thats just goes to show how much I know about Lightnings.......another decesion ........to be made......Might see if can rob or paint some stuff from the 1/48 sheet......

Thanks guys........learning alot on lightnings.......

Best Regards

Mr B

Looking very nice so far, and you've got a very attentive audience of expert Lightning folks providing some good advice. That's a recipe for a great finished model! Looking forward to following this one!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks a bunch guys......yes the lightning gurus have been most helpful.........this is why I like these forums .......always learn something new as well as motivation to push harder.......

Anyways ......been slacking these two days....did not touch the table.......but I did look at the decals.....I think I can imprevise......well I am off for a short trip come Friday.....will try and get some work done before I go......and complete the build.....hopefully when I get back........

If anyone has the 1/48 tiger emblem of the 74 sqn (lightning) from the same extradecal sheet and willing to spare and not using......pls let me know.......I have one .....but then I will be short for my 1/48 build.......

Cheers and Best Regards

Mr b

B,

I have the tiger emblem you're looking for. No issues. You can have it.

Thank you Pak .......as always can count on the "stockist" of Plastic in our region.......

I owe you one

Rgds

Mr b

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done today after a week off the bench...........

fill.jpg

Manage the fill the gaps in the cockpit area.......need some fine sanding and then done.....also noticed that one resin mount is broken off.........need to tend to that......

fill1.jpg

Got most of the airframe together.....all those small intakes and vents as well as the wings......next will be the underside and then putty and clean up.....test fitting the intake ring shows some horrors............overall fit is not too bad.....

A straight forward build process..........now to sort the decals out.......still half minded to perhaps go with the green and gray camo.........will see

Thanks for watching !

Rgds

Mr b