Fleet Air Arm What-ifs

Andrew Jones

Some of my favourite books are the Secret Project series by Tony Buttler, and taking these as inspiration I've built several FAA what-ifs .

First up is the Supermarine Type 576 supersonic Scimitar , This was a 1959 proposal for a developed Scimitar with a extended thin wing , fitted with reheated RR RB146 engines and provision for extra fuel and Firestreak or Redtop missles. Projected data gave a speed of Mach 1.6.

011.jpg

009.jpg

008-2.jpg

Next up is my Hawker Siddeley / BAE Osprey FRS2, an imagined, in service P1154 RN developement.

001-5.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Hope you like them

Andrew

• Like 13

These are spectacular!

What scale are they and what base kits did you use?

Thanks for the positive comments everyone, they are both 1/48 scale, the Super Scimitar is based on the old Nimbus vacform and the Osprey is a fusion of Sea Harrier , Phantom and Milliput.

Andrew

A pair of utterly stunning what ifs. I excelelnt themes especialy the supersonic Harrier.

HI,nice builds and paint,the last time i saw that flying witch symbol,was on a v2 missile,is it a real squad decal,just being nosy ...cheers Don

Yes that's the squadron marking of 890 NAS , last carried by their Sea Vixen FAW2's.

I love the P1154, just imagine if it had gone into production, we'd still have a Fleet Air Arm capable of going off somewhere and doing the business! We can only dream.

Thanks for sharing your models with us.

Colin on the Africa Station

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Brilliant work.

I created a two seat Sea Hawk acouple of years ago, using the elderly Airfix kit as a basis, along with a Matchbox Buccaneer canopy. The idea was its used as a deck landing trainer during the 1960s to around 1978, when replaced by Hawk (Sea Hawk?) T.2. Will post some pics when I have got the hang of this place!

• Like 1