Fine Waterline information

In conjunction with Mike McCabe of Fine Waterline SIG and his website, this thread is for FW news, hints and tips that may be useful for the maritime modeller.

New today is something a little different, not a ship but 1:700 all the same, Kostas Katseas' diorama of US Marines embarking Starlifter transport aircraft for the Gulf War. All on nothing much larger than a postcard!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the thread Dave, I'll be adding our site news here as it happens, starting with -

August 19th : Photos from Poland today with the Polish Navy Project 767 transporter / minelayer ORP Lublin

Mike

Mike we have a walkaround section here and we are always on the look out for Maritime pictures if you would like to contribute.

Julien

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI

I finished the model a couple of years ago http://www.finewaterline.com/pages/gallery/dioramas/mmdunkirkeastpier/mmdunkirkepier.htm and took something of a guess at it based on similar schemes at the time. If you have any information though it would be interesting to see it.

Cheers

Mike

I'm afraid that I came across some film showing destroyers arriving at Dover from Dunkirk and there was a brief bit showing Codrington coming alongside a V&W - the first two stills at the link below - and then two photos of Codrington sunk beside Sandhurst a month later showing more clearly her large Harwich-style false bow wave which she had at the time of the Dunkirk evacuation (but no sternwave)

https://picasaweb.go...gCKHy5NexwJ_yJg#

I think you are looking at a faded overall Home Fleet grey (which she started the war in) and a salt-encrusted forward funnel.

Edited by dickrd

Certainly looks the case. Ah well, not to worry, the model is done and won't be repainted, you can only go with the information you have at the time and if something turns up later to show it is incorrect that is all in the game.

Cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...