Chieftain Mk11

Had been making good progress on this project but it seems to have stalled through lack of enthusiasm, and may stay so for a while as the wife has taken the opportunity to get me started on the en-suite renovation!

Its Tamiyas venerable kit with scratchbuilt Stillbrew and detailing.

Regards Dave

DSCF4194.jpg

DSCF4207.jpg

DSCF4196.jpg

DSCF4300.jpg

DSCF4353.jpg

DSCF4348.jpg

DSCF4333.jpg

DSCF4327.jpg

Great work, I have a soft spot for the old Chieftain Stillbrew with TOGS as I used to work on them.

Your scratch building is amazing. I will be doing a conversion to represent my old tank but I will be buying the cast off conversion as my skills are not up to yours.

Cant wait to see you finish yours but please make it an RTR tank too many cavalry pretenders out there!

Richard

Thanks Richard.

You wont be to pleased with my Welsh Cavalry Chally 1 then! ;-)

I have not settled on a scheme for the Mk11, it depends on what references I can find. I have some pics of 4 RTR on Keystone '87 which I found on M136.de, and also some of Salisbury Plain in 1995, with possibly 1 RTR tanks, from the same source. As I will be making my own decals it will all come down to what is easiest!

Regards Dave

Regards Dave

Hi,

This is excellent!!! Am in awe of your scratchbuilding skills. Very neat and tidy build, looking forward to seeing this progress and will be following with interest.

Looks like a rather extensive conversation (but following with much interest). Are there no kits of the Chieftain you're making?

Edited by Jim Starling

Hi,

This is excellent!!! Am in awe of your scratchbuilding skills. Very neat and tidy build, looking forward to seeing this progress and will be following with interest.

Thanks Badger.

Looks like a rather extensive conversation (but following with much interest). Are there no kits of the Chieftain you're making?

Thanks Jim. Extensive conversions are what i do! The only commercial kits of Stillbrew Chieftains are in resin and I cant afford them, and if i could I would still do what I do 'cos thats what i enjoy.

Regards Dave

The Registration you need is 01 EB 07 We named all the tanks but you wont find lettering small enough and we didnt use the Chinese eye until after amalgamation with 4 RTR. Also each squadron had its own variation on the green and black camo scheme.

After all that work you dont want the easiest scheme you want the best. "If it dont wear black it counts for nowt" as we used to say.

Richard

The Registration you need is 01 EB 07 We named all the tanks but you wont find lettering small enough and we didnt use the Chinese eye until after amalgamation with 4 RTR. Also each squadron had its own variation on the green and black camo scheme.

After all that work you dont want the easiest scheme you want the best. "If it dont wear black it counts for nowt" as we used to say.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I fancy putting some chinese eyes on it as I have yet to use them on a tank. My Chieftain Mk2 was a REME Bordon vehicle, and my Mk5 was in the BATUS scheme.

I have made a note of the registration number.

Regards Dave

Thanks Badger.

Thanks Jim. Extensive conversions are what i do! The only commercial kits of Stillbrew Chieftains are in resin and I cant afford them, and if i could I would still do what I do 'cos thats what i enjoy.

Regards Dave

I salute your modelling spirit! :)

Edited by Jim Starling

Any updates, Dave?

Sorry, its very slow at the moment. I have done a bit more to the cammanders cupola and a friend just sent me a couple of exhaust pipes he had cast from my master so will maybe get some progress pics later in the week.

Regards Dave

Edited by Kiwidave4

Had a burst of enthusiasm and got a bit more done. I made an exhaust pipe which a friend used as a master to kindly cast some in resin for me so I did not have to make a matching set! With the exhaust fitted I stopped long fingering the gun crutch so I could complete the exhaust box (except for the wading screen hook which is so fragile it goes on last.

DSCF4478.jpg

Then I had another look at the commanders cupola. Early in the build I had cut up the kit item to get the vision blocks inclined but was not happy with the result. So I cut it up again! Once the vision blocks were sorted I added the detailing to the hatch, built a GPMG mount, and detailed the spotlight.

DSCF4487.jpg

DSCF4491.jpg

DSCF4493.jpg

Hope that is of interest. Might have to get back to the ensuite for a few days.

Regards Dave

• Like 1

Insanity, definitely... this goes beyond even scratch building bar armour!!! However it is looking terrific!

Thanks Kallisti, at least it keeps me off the streets.

Been considering scratching bar armour for the Tamiya CR2 I have in the stash but the 'modern stuff does not interest me as much as the 'Cold War' period so that project keeps getting by passed.

Regards Dave