1/24th Blackburn Buccaneer S2B, 208 squadron

General, regarding my peculiar mix of ethnicity, if you find something disturbing about being Celtic-Norse-Greek (with a bit of Russian, and Heaven Forbid, even French thrown in) then I shall have to ask you to step outside, sir! Duel at dawn, with weapon of your choice (the weapon of my choice would be a rather large howitzer).

Your Faithful Servant, etc.,

Jason Jones -Tarpley-Tsardoulias-Trovas-Moore

P.S. I do agree about the Brick - interesting blend of shapeliness and sheer brute engineering, rather like some women I've known.

• Like 1

Bill, I met Cilmin and his elderly uncle Mervyn Vryshe at the Lincoln branch of Poundstretchers a while back, he was driving around erratically on his purple mobility scooter and eyeing up some two for one offers on the sweet stand !....as for his black leg, well I told him that this is the kind of thing you've got to expect fighting giantesses and demons, nicking their black books and dealing with dodgy necromancers........he's retired now living in Skegness...

Splendid! He must be getting on in years, now, what with the battle with the necromancer commencing in, 843 AD was it? But, as they say, "Whoever crosses the stream of error must bear its mark and go forever limping on his way." That's what one gets for riding up the apron full of stones!

P.S. I do agree about the Brick - interesting blend of shapeliness and sheer brute engineering, rather like some women I've known.

Yes! Strong like bull; smart like tractor!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

All this Slackbladder banter is triffic,

I love it myself I find some of the best quotes come from the first overlooked series which has a more subtle humor though I love it all.

This one for example being one of my favourites.

Harry: A tragic accident…tragic.

Edmund: Ah, yes. Almost as tragic as Archbishop Bertram being struck by a falling gargoyle while swimming off Beachy Head.

Harry: And nearly as tragic as poor old Archbishop Wilfred slipping and falling backwards onto the spire of Norwich Cathedral. Oh, Lord, you do work in mysterious ways.

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

Bill, "Strong like bull, smart like tractor" I believe is an old Russian aphorism for a particularly desirable woman. Actually, an actual Russian saying I remember is "If you come at a Kasnoyarsk woman with a samovar*, she'll come at you with an axe", or something to that effect, in other words don't mess with women from Krasnoyarsk (the third largest city in Siberia, with over a million very hardy souls). Oh dear, now we're on to Russian sayings; Dash it all!, with the duest respect General, you really must put some discipline into this thread - it's gone all gobbledy-gook! I thought it was supposed to be about teeth, I mean Buccaneers**, anyway.

Regards,

Jason

* A samovar is rather like a tureen.

** A Blackburn (no "Hawker-Siddeley" nonsense here) Buccaneer is rather like a brick.

• Like 1

Yes, we need more Buccaneer pictures! But while we're waiting...

It was my dear friend Krassi who first told me the "smart like tractor" line when we were admiring one of the nice ladies "who don't need a shave" in a Sofia pub. But he had a habit of mixing up his metaphors. What a good friend, great guy, and very good software developer. He told me that "back before the wall fell" it wasn't called "image processing." It was called "target acquisition." I love it!

And I am related to that guy with the black leg... :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

You're right it was only upon close inspection of a couple of the Buccs at Bruntingthorpe that I noticed just how 'rivetty' the old Brick really is, particularly around her rear end. She's a strange blend of subtle shaping and boiler plating, (stand down memsahib, I'm talking about an aeroplane !),with large panels missing from atop the wing, (the hinge fold mech), big gaps and large plates welded onto her sides in gay abandon...and that's what makes the old girl so interesting....and apparently such a successful design !

Proof that thrust trumps aerodynamics. This concept is also expressed as "If you've got a big enough engine, you can get a barn to fly". Also note that for all its thrust, the Brick was still very firmly subsonic.

• Like 1

By Titans codpiece I have no truck with your ethnicity Sir why I myself am half Anglo, a quarter Saxon, half Welsh and half Abyssinian by Jove, with a smattering of Maasai warrior, Aborigini, Tibetan, Bolton and Argentinian thrown in, (my father had a very powerful bicycle and a good map !)....I shall of course respect your request for a duel, my chosen weapon will be a particularly sharp Guava leaf dipped in a cup of Darlings cappuccino broth.......take that Sir !!.

Ah Pete of Rhayader might that be Richard IV himself, claiming to have survived "thanks to my trusty fruit knife!"..or possibly when he was last seen entering Constantinople alone, armed with only a fruit knife and facing 10,000 Turks armed with Supermarine Scimitars......

Bill, he may well be 1171 years young but he doesn't look a day over a thousand, ('cept his leg of course !).

Whoever crosses the stream of error must bear its mark and go forever limping on his way." That's what one gets for riding up the apron full of stones!

I think the literal translation was ' whatever idiot sloshes across my gaff by mistake will get a right good pasting and find it difficult to walk in a straight line ever again'......taken from the Queen Ann version naturally....

Yes! Strong like bull; smart like tractor!

Good Lord Bill...and I thought I'd met some dodgy birds !!

Cheers Rob, I know you're a fan of the first series...as you say some sublime stuff there, mostly overshadowed by Slackies hairdo sadly......I see you've changed your avatar to one more befitting .........ah, Brian 'Gordons ALIVE ! Blessed..... he of the screamed whisper !.

• Like 1

Cheers heloman, as far as I'm aware they have redone the sheets recently so hopefully no dramas......I've never used them before so any advice is welcome. I've ransacked quite a few railroad forums so will start on the armour ones next !!

Pacients but I see you've an oversupply of that already...

A variation on the theme.......'Strong like ox, smart like dumptruck' oddly befits a certain female member of the Melchett clan!, (I won't say who as she's busy tarmacing the drive at the moment !)...........er, behave yourselves !

nice ladies "who don't need a shave" in a Sofia pub.

Ha, nice story Bill, those women really know how to show a fella a good time !....OK usually under the threat of serious actual bodily harm but hey ho....a good time's a good time...eh Darling !

And I am related to that guy with the black leg... :) :) :)

Good lord.....you mean it runs in the family............. :coat:

Yes apologies about the lack of progress, just finishing off a couple of models that should appear in RFI soon...I will get back on the case post haste....

Jessica,

"If you've got a big enough engine, you can get a barn to fly"

Very true....just look at the Lightning and F-104, thrust wins every time ! Yep the brick was a subsonic dump truck, but a very good one. It was ideally suited to its mission requirement... ultra low level, stable and fast enough to keep out of trouble.

Thanks heloman....around here it's not a virtue..it's a requirement !!

Edited by general melchett

Yes General I thought I was due a change of face and now I have grown my goaty back I thought a King

Richard IV avatar could be fun.

Yes the 1st series is brilliant as they all are.

Modeling is always easier when you have a trusty fruit knife to hand.

;)

The only think I hate about Blackadder is that there is not more of it. I wish what is left of the gang would get together and do more.

rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Modeling is always easier when you have a trusty fruit knife to hand.

Wouldn't be without one ! certainly sad that they didn't do more but then again a lot of classics only had a small cache of episodes, Fawlty Towers, Prisoner, etc.....and were the better for that...sometimes too much of a good thing......just look at the Blackadder 'specials ! :confused:

A little more progress...slow business this riveting lark !...managed to get both the undersides of the ailerons done, (just had enough !). I have another double row to fit along the trailing edge once the smaller set arrives......Historex emailed me today to let me know that they were awaiting a set to come in.......so I'll have to crack on with something else in the meantime....

DSC_0431_zpsb89071fb.jpg

Also as the beast was gingerly placed on its back, (no creaks, groans or 'orrible snapping sounds !) I decided to finally check if the undercarriage fits !...a big moment and one that I've not looked forward to as it would be a dilly to try and adjust at this point...and to my relief the legs are both exactly 5cms from base to axle centre.and sit at 90 degrees to the bay floor....exactly where they should be...hooray ! They sit very snuggly which is good news but the next part of the 'big push' will be to drill out the big ali spars to a depth of 5mm and CA 3mm brass rod into the legs for torsional strength, then they can be sprayed and set aside for later.

Next up the nose gear.......

DSC_0430_zps63fa4e34.jpg

The front part of the rotating bulged bomb bay will be carved to shape later as I scratchbuilt this part to fit and needed to Milliput the area to get the correct compound curve....also the underside scribing will begin soon, traced from scaled drawings, transferred on to model in small sections and then taped and scribed with my trusty Olfa Cutter...........simples ,(not !)...

DSC_0433_zpsd04df019.jpg

You can see here just how dominating the thing is...takes up a fair bit of work space, luckily I've got a lot more so I can crack on with the other big projects on the go !!........By thunder I like 'em big and meaty, eh Nursey............woof, woof !

DSC_0436_zpse63bcd4b.jpg

• Like 8

Well that is really taking shape now, Its great news that the wheels fit ok just pray its not a tail sitter.

I will never forget holding this beast, Not having time to think as you just passed it to me. I remember thinking take it off me as soon as you handed it.

I certainly will not be holding it again. Its giving me a knot in my tummy thinking of it. It is a scary formidable beast. Still amazed at how you work on something as big and fragile as this.

I am saying this as I am thinking what a damn nightmare masking the wraparound camo will be if you use bluetak. that will be some shocking weight and stress on the thing I imagine.

I am sure you will win in the end. Keep up the good work Andy ;)

Suspiciously clean workspace.

You know what they say about people with a cleared desk......

Blutak? You'll need to strip the putty from Marks & Sparks' windows to mask that beastie!

Either that or use the new whizzo, trained by Tamiya, 'Mr Clever Worms'.

• Like 1

Or instead he could find a Live Slug to balance on the Bucc called Graham and have him carefully manoeuvre along pencil lines acting as a slow moving mask for the General to chase with his AB ;)

• Like 1

Smashing work on the undercarriage, old bean! Regarding the duel, good thing that you're using a Guava leaf (hopefully not too sharp), although I don't quite fancy getting a dose of Darling's broth. So I take it the good Capt. is to be your second? Good for you - he's a great chap, one of Britain's finest, salt of the Earth and all that, and a wonder at sorting out paper clips I'm led to believe. Re your ancestry, dreadfully sorry about the Bolton bit! Bad luck there.

Yours, etc.

Jason (presently googling "Titans codpiece") Moore (a fine "Oirish" name and nowt to be ashamed of)

Edited by Learstang

Ha thanks fellas...Rob just thought I try out your reaction...nothing like lobbing a 'biggun' at a man to test his mettle !. As I said to you at the time I also sincerely hope it's not a tail sitter too, though I'm going to open up a little hatch to allow the insertion of .22 pellets if need be. I've checked the fulcrum point and all seems OK...until I put the airbrakes on methinks...all those rivets !!

As for masking well it'll probably be Blu Tack sausages with Tamiya tape in fills..lucky I bought up half my local model shops supply of Tamiya tape recently ! Shouldn't be too bad, just time and paint consuming !!

Pete, yes I'm afraid it's always like that...don't do mess, as Rob will testify...I have rather a lot of expensive tech up in the cave that doesn't like dust !, (not including the low tech memsahib of course !)..

Mr clever worms...good lord, sounds like

Jason, ta ever so old fella...I've changed my mind about the leaf and am now opting for a Dillon Aero's M-134 Minigun,, the rounds will still be dipped in Darlings Broth.......can't take any chances, not in this mans army...no sir !

he's a great chap, one of Britain's finest, salt of the Earth and all that,

Darling is mostly a graceless, dim-witted pumpkin if the truth be known but he'll come in use as someone to carry aloft my feathery hat as I enter Berlin. His chair arranging is legendary, his knowledge of all three verses of 'God Save The King' second to none as is his rapid loading and discharging of an M-134 during a duel ...........I'll see you on the field of battle private Moore and we can have at it sir ! (I have chosen Mrs Miggins Pie Shop as the location...3.00am sharp !)

Re your ancestry, dreadfully sorry about the Bolton bit! Bad luck there.

Yes...he had a puncture !

• Like 1

Good plan Hugh !, though the idea will not be muted anywhere within earshot of the mem !....good lord she's in a good mood at the moment...and I want it to stay that way, she's a demon with a duster :shutup:

Pete...ah my fathers bike, she was a beauty by George...powerful little beast, lovely belle and a great ride apparently ......

As for a full broadside of Bucc shot, well sadly she's out of season at the moment, so the Purdey's are staying put in the cabinet........for now !! :wicked:

Nothing much to report, just tidying up the hook and tail bumper bays so that everything fits tightly and starting on the nose gear door which I'd completely forgotten about !!.....(the main gear doors marry up perfectly with the gear legs which really is more luck than judgement...as the attachment strut knuckles needed to be in the right place...)

• Like 2

Proof that thrust trumps aerodynamics. This concept is also expressed as "If you've got a big enough engine, you can get a barn to fly". Also note that for all its thrust, the Brick was still very firmly subsonic.

Not quite. The Buccaneer had extremely low drag thanks to the area ruling, T-tail, conformal tanks and blown flaps, in fact nearly half the profile drag factor of most conventional aircraft which is still quite impressive. As a result it cruised faster than it's replacement and went about 3 times as far and was a devil to catch in a dive. Brough looked at putting afterburners on during the design and it would have lost all those advantages.

And it turns out the rear cross-sections weren't quite optimum and a problem with aerodynamic interference across the rudder at high speed limited it's top speed so it could have been even better so more a case of aerodynamic trumps thrust in this case.

And they left the hinge doors off after an infamous flight test report which concluded they removal of the doors had absolutely no effect on the handling or performance of the aircraft.

Oh and cracking work General, you're doing Brough's finest proud.

Edited by Plastic Bonsai
  • Like 2

Not quite. The Buccaneer had extremely low drag thanks to the area ruling, T-tail, conformal tanks and blown flaps, in fact nearly half the profile drag factor of most conventional aircraft which is still quite impressive. As a result it cruised faster than it's replacement and went about 3 times as far and was a devil to catch in a dive. Brough looked at putting afterburners on during the design and it would have lost all those advantages.

And it turns out the rear cross-sections weren't quite optimum and a problem with aerodynamic interference across the rudder at high speed limited it's top speed so it could have been even better so more a case of aerodynamic trumps thrust in this case.

And they left the hinge doors off after an infamous flight test report which concluded they removal of the doors had absolutely no effect on the handling or performance of the aircraft.

Oh and cracking work General, you're doing Brough's finest proud.

Its information like that I love to read. Fantastic stuff. ;)

Thanks PB, all very true, the Buccaneer was a truly remarkable aircraft and Blackburn are really to be admired for introducing so many relatively new concepts into the design, especially the BLC system, solid piece milling, MDC cords, all moving tailplane, multi role/ mission ability, rotating bomb bay and of course the area rule. The nomenclature 'brick' really only applies to the immense strength of the thing due to the solidly milled sections, integrally machined skins and ribs and those three large frame 'spiders' which literally clamped the engines together. They got it right pretty much from the off with the exception of the tailplane/ fin interference problem with the NA.39 which created strong vibrations due to asymmetric twisting of the fin and tailplane in side slip, caused by the slight thickening of the top of the fin causing shockwaves either side of the fin which was soon eliminated by adding the fin bullet and reprofiling the fin leading edge.

All in all a true classic. Actually when you look around the beast you see just how wonderfully subtle the design was, sweeping curves everywhere...almost sculpted, designed when the British aircraft industry was at the top of its game...

• Like 1

Lovely work general I have only just caught up with this thread but what a build I love the brick and with me being from farnborough I saw a fair few bucc's as a kid I just wish I still got to see them now this is such a amazing model I wish I could build it but having never used resin I would only ruin it which would be a shame so ill leave it to the pros looking forward to seeing the project develop

Thanks Paul, appreciate that. Yes, I remember seeing them way back when, like the Lightning and Vulcan there seemed to be one at every airshow back then. I was always in awe of the low level display stuff and recall one particularly energetic display at Marham back in the early 70's when there were four on the loose ........all attacking the airfield from different directions at once, lots of smoke and noise !!...magical stuff for a young nipper to watch.

It's amazing how many modellers are a wary of resin !...to me it's the easiest stuff to work with. I think many think it very delicate and fragile but to be honest it's pretty strong and quite giving, (ie flexible). Resin in this scale of course is as tough as plastic and needs a fair bit of ooomph to sand, but the material is very easy to shape and if you make a mistake just cut it out, bung another bit in and sand to shape !

You really ought to give it a go....