1/24th Blackburn Buccaneer S2B, 208 squadron

Q. How many rivets does it take to 'do' a Bucc?

A. Dunno but I'm going to find out!

Asgwrn fawr! as dad was want to say in such situations. Flipping heck as I would say.

Trevor

By thunder...another one !....diolch yn fawr, (the idea behind the Welsh language seems to be the avoidance of vowels as much a humanly possible !),

Well Trev I've calculated around 146,328. Now I don't suppose I'll be doing all of them but it'll feel not too far off !!

They should go straight onto the resin and then you add the paint, but as I'm using Klear I'm not sure it matters so much.They sure are on now which is reassuring..(as long as I don't have a senior moment and take the sanding stick to it !!). Among other things I've spent the day removing the primer from the airbrakes and associated parts so as to get the best base for them to stick to....Like Baldricks Chaplin tash I'd like to coax then into clinging on for a bit longer....

Mick, too true and I'm quite sure they put the signs round the wrong way just to confuse the enemy too....... took me three hours to get out of one of their car parks once !

I really like the look of the Rivets it does add an awful lot and well worth the effort.

Its the first time I have ever seen them used and I now really want to give them a try despite the cost. They look well worth the money.

However did you fit each one individually, Or are they in convenient strips with correct spacing ?

If you put each one on one at a time you must have some patience !

Thanks gang, Houston, nothing like a bit of banter amongst friends...along with 'tiffin' it's the great British pastime...(oh and moaning of course !!).....

Cheers Rob, yep first time I've used them though I've always wanted to have a go....

If you put each one on one at a time you must have some patience !

Good grief man....just because I'm insane doesn't mean that I'm off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers !...no they come in a solid sheet that you can cut into lovely rows, blocks or whatever you need really...great little items.

Mind you yet another senior moment !....I received the second set of rivets this morning, (can't praise Historex enough...next day delivery !), but realized that I'd gone and ordered the same set instead of the smaller ones needed for the airbrakes and doors, (.008'' rather than 034'').....silly sausage I said to myself when opening the package. One call to Historex and they promised to send the correct set by carrier pigeon on receipt of the old one...can't say fairer than that !),

Anyhow, I've marked up the airbrakes and extension arm units ready for the said rivets...this gives you an idea of what's involved..I apologise for the rough lines...all freehand as I couldn't be bothered to tape everything off and draw nice straight lines...the old Mk.1 eyeball will serve its purpose...... Most of the major lines will be doubled up as they are double rows, and a few plates made from 0.25 card need to go on in various areas which had reinforcement skins added .

DSC_0422_zps2ce8eb01.jpg

• Like 3

Don't worry General its good to be insane, after all its a mad world,

The rivets looks like a scale map of Jerry mine fields, were are the Pink elephants !

WOOF WOOF,

Your not the only one who's mad, cluck cluck jibber jibber my old mans a mushroom,

Wubble Rob ;)

• Like 1

not sayin' as you might be barking mad yer lordship

Barking? He's Dagenham and Ilford as well. Just as long as he doesn't start saying 'wibble' we should be ok.

General sah! Any idea on a suitable scheme? Desert Pink? Grey/Green?

Trevor

I can't decide what is more fascinating - the model in all its detailocity or the unrelated banter. No wait! It's the model, I'm sure of it! No, it's the banter, no question! More, sah, I need more! Both model and banter, by the bones of Bendigeidfran!!

Cheers,

Bill, unauthorised descendant of Cilmin-Troed-Dhu, late of Caernarfon. Or was it Kilmyn Droed-Du? I can't spell Welsh to save me...

General Sah

for goodness sake i bet u go to sleep with spots on your brain dont you? should look the dogs danglies when its all done though:-) all quiet on the western front sah we thought we were going over the top,we heard the whistle but it turned out to be an inpromptu footie game between us and the huns...balders was a goalpost,blackie was the ref,it was a draw due to the fact the bullet with my name on it turned up...it was travelling at quite a rate of knots sah,i would never have caught it,downright dangerous if u ask me...anyhoo it missed me and popped the carrier pidgeon we were using for a ball,was wondering if we could borrow Captain Darling to use as a ball for the replay? sah

regards

pvt Baldbob

General sah?

The huns are so desperate for this replay they keep lobbing grenades at us(not the stick shaped ones) the round ones,when can your Darling be ready for us to give him a good kicking(around the field) Sah!

rivets rivets rivets!

regards

pvt Baldbob

Felicitations to all you fellow adderists, (and of course the odd modeller...increasingly odd modeller !),

Bill and Rob, it pays to be mad...it'll get you a long way just ask my uncle, Lady Susan, Harrow governor and fifth Earl of Mboto Gorge.....

Trfr...(no vowels), I got past Dagenham a long time ago, I'm heading north towards Romford as we speak and then hopefully on to catch the M25 to Epping forest.....wibble, wibble

Bill, ah, Bendigeidfran or Briân the Blessed as we used to call him, nice chap, used to break wind for our college but sadly let him self go a bit lately..... Cilmin-Troed-Dhu eh...black leg !, always running late if I recall,

I can't spell Welsh to save me...

Don't worry Bill, if you play scrabble just take out all the vowels and throw them away, put what's left on the board in any random fashion....there, you're spelling Welsh !, (as to speaking it, well if you can gargle then you can speak Welsh !)

My father's middle name is Jones, from my grandmother's maiden name.

Jason, there's something disturbing about that statement but I can't quite put my finger on it !!

Rob thanks for that fella, great stuff...ironically my mothers maiden name is Jones......explains a lot really....

Sorry young Crustybob, my previous reply must have been shot down en route, I'll check my 'speckled Jim'...

'' I've had a word with Jerry and he's more than happy to give you a good licking on the field of battle tomorrow evening around midnight, (honey optional).....I trust the luminous balaclavas arrived on time ? Your half of the pitch will be illuminated by searchlight and flares and you'll all have specially knitted Royal Flying Corps roundels sewn onto the backs of yer tunics so that Jerry can see just how patriotic you lot are and be able to follow your every movement, (no favoritism here !). Darling will be sent to act as an aggressive away crowd armed with beer bottles, cans, granades and sharpened coins to give the proceedings a bit of atmos, well it is Christmas when all's said and done.......and Blackadder will act as a heavily biased FIFA official....hope this meets with your approval.......funeral arrangement details to follow.......good luck......stop.......now get running and don't ever..........stop ''

• Like 1

Genral sah

im senseing a pattern here illuminated ,roundels??seems to me(if you dont mind me pointing) out that the hun is being given more of a sporting chance,the men have rebeled at the roundels,i mean we were planning on playing in our white(except baldricks obviously) underwear i think that would be enough to show the blighters which side we are on! im off sir i cant take it anymore im throwing in the towel...the huns can win the darned footie match!

regards

(ex) pvt Baldbob

General, I believe it's safe to say that most things I say or write are at least slightly disturbing! If they're not, then people just aren't paying enough attention (oddly, that happens quite a bit as I suppose people think that if they just ignore me I'll go away). Regarding my father's middle name, if it were "Lila", his mother's (and my grandmother's - there's some cause and effect going on there that I can't quite figure out) given name, then that would be truly disturbing.

Best Regards,

Jason (disturbing people since 1960) Moore

P.S. Smashing work with the rivets, etc.! I say, but the Brick's a rivetty old lump! Rather built like an old steam locomotive.

Edited by Learstang

..... Cilmin-Troed-Dhu eh...black leg !, always running late if I recall,

Ah, you know Cilmin of the Black Leg! He may have been running late, but at least he was running. Leg turned black from gangrene and all!

Resume the rigourous riveting, General, sah!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks men....Crustybaldbob I refuse your kind offer of resignation from the 'suicidal eleven' and as a result you will be arrested and carted orf to be shot at dawn with immediate effect, (we've just found the bullet with your name on it I might add), for refusing to follow the deranged orders from you clearly insane commanding officer and president of the Winchester Horse Shooting Society, Sir A C.H.Melchett, VC, DSC,DSM, MM, MOT,USB, Iron Cross first class with fig leaves and nut clusters.....or you can return to the front line and resume your place in the back four, (we'll forgo the roundels, you can wear your pink jim jams)..

Thanks James, plenty more to come...

Jason, I would be most concerned if anything you wrote was not indeed highly or at least mildly disturbing...your family tree seems to be a case in point ! you lost me at the word 'if'. Now continue disturbing people since 1960.........it's a calling man !

the Brick's a rivetty old lump! Rather built like an old steam locomotive.

You're right it was only upon close inspection of a couple of the Buccs at Bruntingthorpe that I noticed just how 'rivetty' the old Brick really is, particularly around her rear end. She's a strange blend of subtle shaping and boiler plating, (stand down memsahib, I'm talking about an aeroplane !),with large panels missing from atop the wing, (the hinge fold mech), big gaps and large plates welded onto her sides in gay abandon...and that's what makes the old girl so interesting....and apparently such a successful design !

Bill, I met Cilmin and his elderly uncle Mervyn Vryshe at the Lincoln branch of Poundstretchers a while back, he was driving around erratically on his purple mobility scooter and eyeing up some two for one offers on the sweet stand !....as for his black leg, well I told him that this is the kind of thing you've got to expect fighting giantesses and demons, nicking their black books and dealing with dodgy necromancers........he's retired now living in Skegness...

Still awaiting the smaller rivet set, until then, some music....

• Like 3