1/24th Blackburn Buccaneer S2B, 208 squadron

Wow, those seats are almost as good as mine... :jealous:

Should not the rear seat have angled sides?? or is the photo not showing the difference up? scroll down the link posted below.

Hugh.

Linky...http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Technical_files/0_IntWepSys-1.html?

Edited by Sky Pirate

melchie baby you are inspiring me to give this sort of thing a crack......just terrified ill fall flat on my face and end up with what amounts to a "plum duff" pile of wrecked resin and melted plastic!:-D

Edited by The Crusty one

Thanks John, appreciated,

Hugh, yes due to the Martel box between the navs legs the rear seats were indeed splayed for the poor nav crammed in the back there but as I mentioned some time back there wasn't quite enough room to do this and have the correct offset on the seat. I could have used thinner card on them but it wouldn't have looked quite right.. There is a small amount of splay though and I'll see what can be done once everything's in place......if there's any room they'll be splayed.

Turns out XX901 carried an AIM-9L on the port outer rail whilst serving with 208 during the 'pulsator' deployment to Beirut in 1983, (only it didn't have the old Homer RWR pods fitted to the wings). However she also carried a couple of 1,000 lb Paveways on the inboard pylons too............hmm ! :hmmm:

Apparently flights were conducted by Buccs in pairs, the sister aircraft would carry one LGB plus a 'Pave spike' pod, one aircraft laser designating for both.

Sounds like a good excuse to build a matching pair of Buccs then General Sahhh....

• Like 1

Crusty...have a bash man ! It's the only way to fly. If it turns out to be a plum duff then just cover with cream custard and liberally pepper it with raisins........oh and don't forget the cappuccino !

Good Lord Richard....don't think the memsahib would be too enamoured...the swear jar is already set to overflow !!

• Like 1

There is some superb scratch building going on here. And creative use of household products. You could earn a Blue Peter badge with your creativity.

Cheers,

Tom.

All depends on what grabs you fella...if your talking about having a bash at resin for the first time then you can't go wrong with Alleycat's products whether conversions or complete kits, same goes for Freightdog, CMK or S&M. All a bit pricey I know but the pleasure derived from finishing them is immense. If you want a bit of a challenge then try a Magna or Anigrand....Resin kits have changed quite a bit over the recent years with some being on a par with a lot of mainstream IM models and there are new manufacturers popping up all the time. I think I've got more finished resin models than plastic to be honest....and that's a lot, but then the subject matter is usually of more interest to me to be fair.

I personally think people get the wrong idea that they are fragile, don't take paint well, 'orrible vac canopies and are difficult to put together, especially the 'do or die' CA thing, (there are actually several types of CA available with different setting speeds as well as various epoxies and some stronger PVA's such as Gator Glue)....none of these concerns are true, in fact I prefer resin to plastic any day as it's a lot more versatile and far easier to work, sanding sticks are your friend !

Now get back to your dugout and await orders Crustydude....(are you sure you aren't related to young Baldrick ?).

Thanks Tom, toilet roll, biscuit tin, sticky back plastic and Valerie Singleton at the ready......woof, woof,

(get down Shep !).

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 4

Its true that resin and Vacs are not to be feared. I used to be scared of resin after being led to believe its fragile. Indeed it can if the model has been made out of rubbish resin.

My first resin kit was a USS Enterprise Refit it was crumbling in my hands and after feeling ripped off I never touched one again till recently.

I still have not done an all resin kit but the flight path stuff is very solid. I have also been experimenting with resin recently and cant believe how strong some of it is I have thrown scrap casting blocks on the floor at great force and find it will often bounce before breaking if it breaks at all. Its wonderful stuff.

I don't recommend dropping it all the same as you never know what you have got unless your making it yourself.

• Like 1

Very true Rob, The early yellow stuff was usually pretty horrendous and if the crumbling and flaking didn't get you then the air bubbles would !. The new white 'plastic' resin is totally different stuff not only being much easier to work and pliant but also a lot safer than the old 'yellow peril' !! I know you've been tinkering Rob....and with good results !

As for the thigh guard splay mentioned by Sky Pirate I've looked closely at the cockpit and after test fitting the seat again I found that there is just enough room to splay the guards a bit further to the correct degree without fouling anything and maintaining the bias of the seat.......right that's that sorted......onward,

Here you can hopefully see the guard splay on the rear seat, (on the right hand)....

P1160663-002_zpsafe34004.jpg

• Like 5

Ta mate, you can have a butchers at the real thing on Friday !

Something I'd forgotten on the starboard engine intake nacelle was the prominent round vent.

Just thought I'd show you quickly how it's fitted. I bought a bargain set of drill bits from Poundland recently, (fer a parnd guv!), and these bits are perfect for drilling shallow circular holes. Luckily one matched the vent diameter perfectly making flush fitting easy,

P1160664_zpsb72ad273.jpg

P1160665_zps3719bc4c.jpg

P1160667_zps6c0aa6c4.jpg

A small thing but important.....they all add up.

• Like 8

All depends on what grabs you fella...if your talking about having a bash at resin for the first time then you can't go wrong with Alleycat's products whether conversions or complete kits, same goes for Freightdog, CMK or S&M. All a bit pricey I know but the pleasure derived from finishing them is immense. If you want a bit of a challenge then try a Magna or Anigrand....Resin kits have changed quite a bit over the recent years with some being on a par with a lot of mainstream IM models and there are new manufacturers popping up all the time. I think I've got more finished resin models than plastic to be honest....and that's a lot, but then the subject matter is usually of more interest to me to be fair.

I personally think people get the wrong idea that they are fragile, don't take paint well, 'orrible vac canopies and are difficult to put together, especially the 'do or die' CA thing, (there are actually several types of CA available with different setting speeds as well as various epoxies and some stronger PVA's such as Gator Glue)....none of these concerns are true, in fact I prefer resin to plastic any day as it's a lot more versatile and far easier to work, sanding sticks are your friend !

Now get back to your dugout and await orders Crustydude....(are you sure you aren't related to young Baldrick ?).

Thanks Tom, toilet roll, biscuit tin, sticky back plastic and Valerie Singleton at the ready......woof, woof,

(get down Shep !).

Yes Sah ...led to believe im the illicit lovechild of private Baldrick and Bob the driver,but i cant see it myself ....returning to my dugout now sah cup of tea sah?

Keef, basically it's airbrushed Gunze dark earth (H72) highlighted with sand brown (H66), then washed with heavily thinned red brown (H47)....hope that helps.

Crusty, if you truly sprung from young Balders loins then a cuppa his trademark tea sounds a splendid idea, two 'lumps', .....no, make that three and a sprinkling of that special brown stuff would go down a treat.....

• Like 1

Keef, basically it's airbrushed Gunze dark earth (H72) highlighted with sand brown (H66), then washed with heavily thinned red brown (H47)....hope that helps.

Thanks Andy, don't think that'll work in 72nd though! The colour looks spot on & appears to capture that elusive 'metallic' (for want of a better word) sheen the real belts seemed to have...

No problem old fella, it might be a bit difficult in 1/72nd I agree and the effect somewhat lost. Again working from my own HD photos really helped to try and get the tones right, but in 1/24th that's a lot easier to achieve. I use the same technique for 1/48th but wouldn't bother going much smaller.....of course every seat is different with varying degrees of ageing and abuse so there's a fair bit of leeway to be had...

• Like 1

No problem old fella, it might be a bit difficult in 1/72nd I agree and the effect somewhat lost. Again working from my own HD photos really helped to try and get the tones right, but in 1/24th that's a lot easier to achieve. I use the same technique for 1/48th but wouldn't bother going much smaller.....of course every seat is different with varying degrees of ageing and abuse so there's a fair bit of leeway to be had...

Hi Andy, been following this thread in awe over the last year or so, shocked to see I've not added my 2/- worth! Well, until now that is! Absolutely stonking build! Top hole and all that....and glad there's no pale blue harnesses anywhere on the seats! Can't wait to see some camo applied.......

Thanks Bill, that's very much appreciated and thanks for stopping by........your absence from the active duty roster had been noted :winkgrin: ........2 bob eh...oh we of a certain age !

Ha, no I've yet to see a pale blue harness myself. Once all this fiddly stuff is out of the way I can get on with slopping some paint on her........hopefully not too long now...

Andy