1/24th Blackburn Buccaneer S2B, 208 squadron

Thanks chaps, to be honest the most time consuming part is the research and scaling after that it's down to basic modelling techniques. Without meaning to sound all arty pharty, it's all about shapes and their relationship to one another. Once the individual pieces are visualized in the minds eye it comes together quite quickly to be honest. These big models are just a series of small models bunged together that hopefully fit at the end of it all ! :shutup:

Thanks Tom, I like the progress on your big Tornado, I've been tempted by the kit more than once, plenty of room for super detailing and improvement, (no pressure then !). The FP set really is the business isn't it, (I have their 1/24th Harrier set as well as all the Heritage bits ready for one of my next projects, an early GR.1A......but that's another story...).

• Like 1

Just been to the dentists and come on here to relax and read about modelling. That hook looks like what it feels like he drilled my tooth out with,,,

Can't belive the work you put in on the hook.

Now I know why you find it so frustrating when I have finished some of my models without probes, and breaky off bits in the past.

lol :banghead:

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, I like the progress on your big Tornado, I've been tempted by the kit more than once, plenty of room for super detailing and improvement, (no pressure then !). The FP set really is the business isn't it, (I have their 1/24th Harrier set as well as all the Heritage bits ready for one of my next projects, an early GR.1A......but that's another story...).

Thanks mate. The FP set is great, a real pleasure to assemble. I will be most interested to see your Harrier build as well. I also have the 1/24 FP GR3 set and some heritage bits for that. In your case, a 1/24 scale Harrier sat alongside a 1/24 scale Buccaneer will look fantastic. I can't wait to see that!

Cheers,

Tom.

Crustydude...Duly noted fella with thanks......however I feel it may well be necessary to send Darling around to pump you thoroughly in the debriefing room ! :bounce: .....now carry on....

Rob.. by God your dentist must be a sadistic chap, doesn't work for ExxonMobil does he ?? .......( and yep a Vulcan should always have a probe !)...btw talking of Vulcans I've sent you something you may like....

Tom, cheers, yep the Harrier, whilst ancient is a prime candidate for 'super updating', especially with that lovely engine. I've got as far as filling in all those pesky rivets.....however what I'd really like next would be a 1/24th Lightning..........hmmm, you never know ! :coolio:

• Like 2

Sir

Wonderful build .have one of these sat in the box awaiting the time to build so following this ..when you say updates planned will you be releasing things..to add to our kits.

Terry

Thanks Terry, yep that's the plan....weapons and pylons, (as listed a page or so back), and possibly upgraded seats....the decal sheets are another thing. Paul Parkes is doing the sheets for this one,(208 squadron + national markings, all stencils, etc), but with so many options out there skys the limit ! Glad to hear that you have one !...the more the merrier..(be nice to see a table or two of 'em....well OK three to a table !!)

You sticking a couple if AIM-9's on the thing General, might as well, you've stuck everything else. Used to come in to Leuchars for DACT with the Fox-4's. Quite friendly by all accounts till visiting Hawks from Chivenor joined in and blatted the lot.

Nippy little thing, the 'awk.

Dennis

Excellent work, very jealous of your modelling skills

Er, I don't think you're doing too badly yourself Kev........just seen your Vanguard !!, excellent stuff...

Crusty, sorry, yes Darling was sent on 'other duties', some important chairs needed stacking...........fair comment, Balders is no William Wordsworth but his Plum Duff is something to behold !!!

You sticking a couple if AIM-9's on the thing General, might as well, you've stuck everything else

Hi Dennis, welcome to the party...yes, funnily enough I do have a couple of AIM-9G's knocking about, (not completely sure '208' ever used them in the time frame though, more research needed).

Damn Hawks get everywhere !

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Turns out XX901 carried an AIM-9L on the port outer rail whilst serving with 208 during the 'pulsator' deployment to Beirut in 1983, (only it didn't have the old Homer RWR pods fitted to the wings). However she also carried a couple of 1,000 lb Paveways on the inboard pylons too............hmm ! :hmmm:

Apparently flights were conducted by Buccs in pairs, the sister aircraft would carry one LGB plus a 'Pave spike' pod, one aircraft laser designating for both.

That is one seriously huge model and there was I worried about having to find somewhere to home my 1:24 Spitfire!

I love what you've done, one day I hope that my creative skills are as good as yours.

Thanks Tom, you're right...space is definitely something you have to think about in this scale . I'm very lucky in this respect but there is always a limit !

one day I hope that my creative skills are as good as yours.

Hey, of course they will, just keep plugging away...after a while you'll want to do your own thing........and that's when the fun really starts !

:thumbsup: Aieee Chihuahua; Aieee Caramba! How detailed can one get? At 1/24....anything is possible! But this is looking fabulous.

I really want this kit, so I'm looking closely...

They said there would never be a 1970's 1/700 Ark Royal...it has taken me over 20 years wanting, and a few years less planning....two Fujimi kits, Friedman'esque blown up plans and a gazillion piccies to realise my life is going to underwhelm my ambition. i.e. run out of time before my dream came true. (Or, in other words Orange Hobby is threatening to beat me to that...maybe just)

But...with this 1/24 Bucc...I guess all things are possible before heaven time.

Furthermore, I have yet to realise any 30 year old fantasy want re FAA kit other than Revell's 1/72 Gannet (yes I'm warped); Fisher's 1/32 Sea Fury and now...I'm so gobsmacked..with.this particular 'kit', a fulfilment of an impossible dream.(As it seems with this model in particular)

If you gave me the manuals, dims and exact plans...I don't think I'd be any different from anyone here on BM, or elsewhere...I'd happily accept a six month cell; but this is the brick that could seriously undermine the foundation of any extroverted ululations of my modelling prowess; well it has anyway - I would simply stuff myself away, for however many years, vitamin E deficiency accepted...and simply cackle to myself every time I picked up a scalpel blade. (Hurrah, Nobby got locked away! :mental: )

All the extreme best with this model Melchie...you've reinvigorated many dreams...and as I intimated, not just earlier in my post...GLOBALLY ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IN PLASTIC and RESIN'TM Who needs others to forge the way, when you can take a dream and make it a reality? I just hope it's NAVY! :innocent:

Edited by Nobby57

Well thanks Crusty, appreciated. My mission, should I accept it is to encourage people to pick up a scalpel, in a none life threatening way and have a stab at a resin kit and /or a bit of scratchbuilding before they shuffle off their mortal modelling coil. It's a very rewarding side to the hobby and a refreshing change from something out of a box.

Nobby cheers, why not do your own 1/700th Ark?, make the dream come alive, as you say don't wait for someone else do it, grab yer weapon of choice, some plans and a pile of Plasticard and have at it, DIY isn't a dirty word, (crevice is but DIY definitely not), you'd be surprised at what you can do............as for an RN S2C/D I did consider a Senior Service machine at one point but plumped for the RAF wraparound jobbie instead, (mainly because a friend of mine in the next village, ex wing co 'Teddy' Edwards was on the Bucc development unit at Martlesham and one time in charge of the bonkers 16 squadron low level mob out in Laarbruch in the 70's, threatened to have me shot and my chocolate ration severely reduced if I did anything other than an Air Force machine so there you have it). Now I wouldn't mind seeing a 1/24th Scimitar or Sea Vixen.......

That's not the half of it young Riyadh !......the memsahib's threatened me with confinement to barracks unless some progress is made on the mountain of ironing that she's managed to accumulate in Her laundry room....I mean I ask you....she claims to have no interest whatsoever in LGB's, slipper tanks,Pave spikes or sidewinders, though she's pretty adept at launching a few when she feels like it !!! :tomato:

Where's my batman when you need him, (no, don't answer that )...

• Like 1

Rob.. by God your dentist must be a sadistic chap, doesn't work for ExxonMobil does he ?? .......( and yep a Vulcan should always have a probe !)...btw talking of Vulcans I've sent you something you may like....

Hes not that bad really. I am quite impressed how well he handles the Makita dirll.,... Hes a Dab hand with it and would do well on a building site in spain I am sure... LOL.

Yep Vulcans do look good with probes if they had them fitted. But Smooth looks good too.

Cheers for the email will check it out and keep up the good work. ;)

Thanks fellas, Pete I've tried all that !...though I'm a rugger chap I even had her watching the England comedy soccer lot doing their stand up, (fall down, roll around, scream a lot) routine the other night. She got the hang of the England plan quickly and screamed at the telly...'go on my brave lads boot it up the park...some bu**er'll get it' , but she got so depressed that I turned over fairly quickly and watched Coronation Street instead !!.......nuff said.....

Well had another long fight with the scrap box and my ever failing eyesight today and I've managed to finish the tail bumper which needed resizing, a new extention piston and detailing,

DSC_0285-001_zps9f4b30b4.jpg

But most of the time was spent on the navs anti blast screen...something that looks fairly simple at first glance turns out to be anything but ! It's actually quite a complex affair. The air con nozzles run through the perspex and the hoses will be fitted later.

I had an idea for the glazing a while back...namely a seamless clear plastic bottle that had the correct cross section built in as I needed fairly thick clear plastic and I didn't want to be bending it and creating stress crazing. I duly emptied the Mem's much coverted Focus cleaning product, (held in the same high esteem as our equally beloved original Klear), down the drain and set about utilizing it for it's true purpose. Cutting the stuff was another matter but a sharp scalpel, band saw and stoic determination saw me through...(not a band aid in sight !),

Funnily enough I didn't use this bit !! :doh:

DSC_0271-001_zps0a7ab959.jpg

Then it was bashed into one of these,

DSC_0274-001_zps5e9985f5.jpg

DSC_0287_zps186295df.jpg

DSC_0283-001_zpsfe5e8555.jpg

Some beading needs to be run around the top of the glazing, some more wiring and a few red/green lenses and then it's off to the paint shop....

All checked against the cockpit and thankfully it fits perfectly...........more luck than judgement !

Next will be the bracket mechanism that goes between the glazing and the seat..(more small stuff......my poor eyes :hypnotised: !)...

Melchie...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 5