1/24th Blackburn Buccaneer S2B, 208 squadron

Just found your build thread general. I do hope the paint finish will be the EDSG of the original users and not that other scheme the dodgy guys in lighter bule used?

Re, the scribing tool, I use an old dental probe scrounged form the dentist. Cut the end off then ground it up a green stone on my bench grinder. Works a treat and the tip lasts a doodly while before re-sharpening.

Colin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Colin, appreciated...you'll have to get yourself back over here so we can all get together meet up at Elvington again. I was 'umming and ahhing' about the scheme and therefore the war load but I fear I'm still edging toward the dodgy scheme (see below for reason)...... interesting use of the dental probe, I think I have a few laying around somewhere, have to break out the grinder.   

In a desperate bid to kickstart me up the exhaust can and get this project underway again,  Colin (crobinsonh) strapped me into one of his Buccaneer S.2s at Bruntingthorpe for a blast down the rain-soaked runway at the Cold War Jets display last Sunday. The weather was terrible but that only added to the drama, lots of noise, lots of spray and fun keeping the thing straight on the slippery runway, the rudder was madly flapping away but the ABS worked perfectly as advertised. The only thing down on '544 was the hot air demister but once the engines were up to idling RPM that wasn't a problem and the crew intercom, just meant we had to shout louder!, it was a lot quieter in the cockpit than I imagined it would be.

I was very impressed by the acceleration of the beast, in fact, I almost spilt my Big Mac and fries! (I know we were at 100%RPM as thanks to the offset of the seats I was able to see the pilots I/P and gauges quite clearly) as the Buccs a heavy old girl. Special thanks to my pilot, Ollie Suckling who patiently went through all the startup, running and shut down procedures with me as they occurred. One procedure that did stand out, funnily enough, was exiting the aircraft in case of an engine fire and using the deployed flap as a slide, oh and running as fast as my little legs will carry me......before anyone asks, yes, the seats were deactivated!

A huge amount of fun that gave me renewed respect for the guys who flew and operated this thing at low-level at high-speed, in marginal weather, day and night...and the thought of landing it on a floating, pitching postage stamp at any time defies the mind! 

Massive thanks to Colin and the chaps/chapesses at Bruntingthorpe for the experience (and the hot chow in the crew room afterwards, very welcome)...now to crack on with the model, updates soon...

A YT clip showing both aircraft in action, I'm in XW544  (watch out for the wing unfolding gracefully onto the crew chiefs head, I could hear the swearing from inside my helmet).

Colin took several personal photos which I'll post for anyone interested when received.

Cheers all

Melchie RN/RAF, depending on the weather...:cheers:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In the words of neil5208

In the words of Brain (The Life of Brian) you lucky b******d!

colour me the very greenest of greenest jealous

(But hoorah, he's had the analkickery that should restart my favourite big Bucc build)

(hoorah)

• Like 1

Wow, just discovered this thread. I would be most pleased to see this one re-start. I rarely get tempted by bigger (than 1/72) builds, but for a Buccaneer, for me, anything goes ................

• Like 3

Thanks chaps, well that was all the incentive I needed to get it up and running again. Sadly I couldn't offer suitable remuneration to the driver to persuade him to get the old bird airborne as unfortunately there were a lot of horribly expensive cars parked at the end of the runway and with the Buccs reputation for being built like a proverbial brick outhouse and the super slick runway I didn't give much for their chances.

Bill...the foot has been well and truly inserted and there's only one way to remove it that doesn't involve highly invasive surgery...:owww:

Terry, you managed to dig up one of my old ENSA tapes, nice little mover back in the day. Darling was playing second fiddle as usual......ah, memories.

That’s the second Neil to use them words 

Ha, true mate......Neil2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well it's an expensive way to stun a crew chief, but it was a splendid bit of film, and has made a nice start to the day. Herr General.

It looked a bit damp though, I hope Baldrick managed to rub enough dubbin into your regimental wellies.

Trench foot can be so debilitating at the mess ball. One would be forced to stay by the bar.

I'll ring MT and get a crane sent around from Waddo to get the Bucc lifted back onto your bench.

Chaaaarge!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, general melchett said:

A YT clip showing both aircraft in action,

Strictly Come Buccaneering!

18 hours ago, general melchett said:

I'm in XW544

I presume someone's now on a charge for breach of etiquette over not flying the General's pennant from the cockpit?

Magnificent clip mon general; thanks for sharing.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It looked a bit damp though, I hope Baldrick managed to rub enough dubbin into your regimental wellies

Well, S**s Law will always insists on intervening in events like this. As I gaze out one week later on this late summer morning, across the sprawling acreage of Melchett Towers, sunlight playing dreamily amongst the overgrown weed beds and medicinal poppy field, a heat haze shimmering along the tin roof of the outside dunny I notice a pair of Alpacas going for it hammer and tong in the Victory Garden and thought...bliddy typical! This to the accompaniment of a relaxing drone of heavy construction equipment tearing up the local countryside in a frenzied attempt to get the by-pass laid before the company goes into enforced liquidation...again!

Baldrick performed magnificently, my flying plimsols never looked so shiny, bulled to perfection, though sadly they leaked badly on route to the crew room for debagging/debriefing and hot tuck. The only real problem was encountered with fitting the oxy mask over my moustache hammock which understandably led to some unsavoury language and not an inconsiderable amount of pain...but sometimes we have to suffer for the cause.

Strictly Come Buccaneering!

Thanks Tony, funny you should mention that, both pilots were both going through their formation taxying routine with military precision, obviously with an eye on proceeding to the next round. Extra marks for driving in the wet... 

What can't be seen is Darling crouching down next to me frantically waving the regimental flag out of the window while furiously buffing my helmet for aerodynamic reasons (he assures me).

• Haha 4

Thanks Trevor, something I noticed straight away was just how high you sat in the aircraft, particularly in the rear crew position, my seat was cranked up all the way so I got an even better view of proceedings. It felt like I was perched on top of the aircraft rather than sat in it! The pilot of the other aircraft XX894 also mentioned this as he's used to flying the Gnat, as he says 'You strap the Gnat on, with the Bucc you sit high upon it, looking down over all below'. The view from the spacious cockpit was panoramic which just added to the effect of sitting upon a throne......magnificent aircraft.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks chaps, well that was all the incentive I needed to get it up and running again.

Perhaps we should confess this was always our cunning plan ........... 🤪

Glad the music aroused memories!

Terry

• Like 1

Jealous? Moi?  [Even if you were in a “dodgy scheme” airframe!]

Crisp, I cannot apologise enough for not hopping into the proper ship, but that was occupied by a young man whose father flew them, (and I believe this actual aircraft) back in the day, when men were men and women were glad of it.....maybe next May!

Looking forward to this starting again ,mine is still in my box looking at me 

Now, funnily enough, you're the fourth person who's said that since Sunday, (including Colin himself)......I have a heavy responsibility to bear, but with a glad heart, a bottle of Single Malt and plenty of Two-Part Epoxy, I shall press on regardless...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just to complicate matters, XX904 never served with the FAA - her first ‘owners’ were 16 Sqn. I believe she’s in ‘809 colours because she’s owned by an ex FAA type?

I may be wrong (it has been known.....!) but the FAA never had Buccs with bulged bomb bay doors?

Trevor

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2014 at 4:06 PM, general melchett said:

I've never seen these tools before and I believe he picked them up in Japan recently, I don't think they are avail;able over here , but not entirely sure about that.... They come from the Mr Hobby stable and I must say I'm very impressed with them so far. For the first time you are actually able to change the blades which is a huge bonus for making panel lines of different widths.....he also included a rather nifty riveter too.....

P1160889_zpsd2c1c09a.jpg

Hola, Melchie!

Yeh, those are awesome tools I learnt from Haneto one day he dropped in on and brought "they're" scribers for the task. Anything from 0.15 up I found 'em to be a tad broad on 1/48th scale, tho. Ordered mine directly from HobbyLink Japan, and bought several 0.10 and 0.15 replacement blades - expensive as hell. The handle would bring the 0.30 blade, with which I scored panel lines on the Heller Mirage kit. The following day I found ants dozing snuggly inside those trenches of panel lines. Tell 'em to go away, but they just shook their heads in reply.

Can't imagine what that 0.50 blade would do to a 1/48th scale Monogram Thud or Tomcat kit. 

Nah, seriously; those are the best scribers available on the market, even better than the Tamiya ones.

Cheers Andy!

Unc2

• Like 1

Thanks Max, umm, you mean XX894? ....well you're quite right she started life with 16 squadron at Laarbruch in 1975 and had several paint jobs throughout her career including a natty 12 squadron 75th-anniversary scheme, barley with the green stripe edged in black extending up the fin and of course the Gulf War scheme where she was named 'Aberlour' during which time she had the distinction of destroying an enemy aircraft using bombs while it was attempting to take off. The 020/R 809 NAS squadron scheme was applied in Feb 1994 as a Bucc retirement scheme to commemorate FAA use and remained that way ever since. 

Cheers Unc, glad you found 'em useful. As you say are a bit pricey but well worth the outlay, best on the market by a country mile. I like the fact that they are 'manoeuvrable' within confined spaces and able to get right into to 90-degree angles, (ie Phantom fuselage/wing joins), something the Olfa and Tamiya cutters are definitely not.....really must hand them back to Colin, it's just hard to let them go!

How's the weather over there?:coolio:

Bulged bomb bays, as Crisp said, crabside

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Get more duty free's in there that way.

Of course.  (It was actually to do with clearance from the deck, according to my new Haynes Manual; makes sense)

• Like 2