1/24th Blackburn Buccaneer S2B, 208 squadron

I 2nd that, I was one of the modellers out there who would not touch resin, Mainly because my first experience was such a bad experience I felt like someone who had bought a fake Rolex watch on a beach in spain..

But I learn that it was just a very inferior type of grey resin that was particularly fragile.

Recently I have been working with resin a lot and now I love the stuff. There are so many varieties to choose from with almost indestructible qualities in some cases.

Trouble is some manufactures cheep out and use rubbish stuff but take your money. Some resin is so strong you can throw it as the floor and it will bounce but I still don't recommend you doing that.

Just don't breath it in if you can help it as I hear its lethal which does worry me.

Then nearly everything is bad for you and you have to have fun.

Cheers Rob

What always worries me about resin is the possibility of sagging. I have built a few and they turned out rather nicely, but I'm worried about the struts especially on the few resin biplanes I have, but haven't built (yet).

Regards,

Jason

True Rob, the quality of resin has changed a lot over the last few years with most manufacturers using the much higher grade white material...the days of bubble filled, crumbly,smelly yellow stuff that is roughly the shape of what it's supposed to be are long gone...the new stuff is in a totally different league. Manufactures like CMK produce some of the most beautiful models in resin now and whilst expensive they tend to have far more finesse than their plastic counterparts. At least 50% of my stashed and part built models are now resin which suits me just fine.

Just don't breath it in if you can help it as I hear its lethal which does worry me.

The newer material is far safer than the old stuff...just avoid inhaling the dust of any material when sanded...none of it's any good for you. I wear a respirator whenever I do any big sanding sessions just to be on the safe side.

Jason, sagging is always a problem !, on the few bipes that I've built recently I've used Aeroclubs superb strut material..it comes in packs of various sizes and there's a lot of it !...John Aero here can supply it and it's a Godsend to be honest as it adds the rigidity that's needed to rig a delicate wing structure without fear of the thing folding up on its self and disappearing up its own black hole !

I've spent half the days building up the aileron actuators. They look deceptively simple but actually they took quite some time to make. The basic base plates are in situ so that I could reference the positions accurately. These will be riveted and detailed later once the next set arrives. Interesting that they didn't have teardrop fairings around them.......another case of if it's not needed then don't bother !!

Starboard outer wing before the panels lines and access panels were traced on....

DSC_0437-001_zps1116f511.jpg

Port wing...these can be now set aside and fitted later in the build....

DSC_0438_zps532c88ee.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 4

Wow...just read through this all today.

General...my hats off to you sir. An amazing piece of work which frankly is daunting on the details you've done.

I haven't laughed my way through the banter so much since I last read the Bandy Papers by Donald Jack (a Canadian's tale of joining the RAF in WW1 and other adventures).

Keep it up. Just flabbergasted at this build.

Foresterab

Thanks Paul, appreciate that. Yes, I remember seeing them way back when, like the Lightning and Vulcan there seemed to be one at every airshow back then. I was always in awe of the low level display stuff and recall one particularly energetic display at Marham back in the early 70's when there were four on the loose ........all attacking the airfield from different directions at once, lots of smoke and noise !!...magical stuff for a young nipper to watch.

It's amazing how many modellers are a wary of resin !...to me it's the easiest stuff to work with. I think many think it very delicate and fragile but to be honest it's pretty strong and quite giving, (ie flexible). Resin in this scale of course is as tough as plastic and needs a fair bit of ooomph to sand, but the material is very easy to shape and if you make a mistake just cut it out, bung another bit in and sand to shape !

You really ought to give it a go....

Couldn't agree any more....

Loving the rivets Andy and the other little bits, coming on very nicely!

Thanks fellas, Forester old fella and Aimees dad, glad you like her and glad you like a spot of banter...the ability to speak gibberish and gobbledygook is a prerequisite in this mans army so feel free to join in at any point ! oh and I shall order Darling to seek out Bandy Papers forthwith............doesn't mention that innate show off Flasheart by any chance ?

Rad, now just where is your Bucc young fella ?, don't give me this 'too busy working hard for a living ' malarky !....thanks, plenty more damn rivets to come soon......by the way are you coming to the next Bruntingthorpe Cold War day at the end of the month ?...(lots to discuss over an overpriced cardiacburger and chips).

Onward into battle...

Melchie (sitting on the halfway line with the fat, wheezy boys and a letter for matron)...

I've spent half the days building up the aileron actuators. They look deceptively simple but actually they took quite some time to make. The basic base plates are in situ so that I could reference the positions accurately. These will be riveted and detailed later once the next set arrives. Interesting that they didn't have teardrop fairings around them.......another case of if it's not needed then don't bother !!

Time extraordinarily well spent. Every bit of this model is gonna be exquisite.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, as a man who shows a good degree of patience himself I think you know exactly what's required. Small steps hopefully leads to big result ! (though I think they might just get a bit smaller as I find more stuff to shove in the old girl with more detailed info coming in, thanks to the amazing work of the Bruntingthorpe Buccmeisters !!).

Great show General. Keep the stiff upper lip going! Might you put it on a runway base or mirrored one.

Regarding the camouflage why not try some Tamiya masking sheets http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=masking+sheet&DisplayMode=images&Dis=2&Sort=std&qid=AW62CV5NK&set=1&q=1&MacroType2=mask instead of rolls of tape.

Robert

• Like 1

Those masks do look useful I have never seen them before.

Does anyone know if you can buy sheets of tamiya stuff about A4 size perhaps, It would be good for hard edge patterns.

Thank you General for the advice about the replacement for resin struts! I have used John "Mr. Aeroclub"'s struts before and will no doubt use some more whenever I get around to that divine beauty, the Blackburn Blackburn (one does not start such an undertaking lightly, given the sublime character of the subject).

Regards,

Jason

Brunty should be really exciting for the August Cold War jets. Subject to aircraft serviceability it will be the first time that XX894 has ran with 2 engines in 2 years - the potential to see 3 Buccaneers running again is even more exciting! See you both there on the day. Give me a call or head over to the Bucc's and we can have a good catch up.

Thanks fellas, Forester old fella and Aimees dad, glad you like her and glad you like a spot of banter...the ability to speak gibberish and gobbledygook is a prerequisite in this mans army so feel free to join in at any point ! oh and I shall order Darling to seek out Bandy Papers forthwith............doesn't mention that innate show off Flasheart by any chance ?

Rad, now just where is your Bucc young fella ?, don't give me this 'too busy working hard for a living ' malarky !....thanks, plenty more damn rivets to come soon......by the way are you coming to the next Bruntingthorpe Cold War day at the end of the month ?...(lots to discuss over an overpriced cardiacburger and chips).

Onward into battle...

Melchie (sitting on the halfway line with the fat, wheezy boys and a letter for matron)...

Thanks Col,, (still got some nooks and crannies, not to mention crevices to delve into on the old girl). It should be a great show as usual, especially if you can fire all three up... look forward to catching up with you and the chaps again...)

No problem at all young Pvt Moore, damn fine stuff and a must for all bipe types !....ah the divine beauty that is the Blackburn Blackburn, takes me back to my yoof, (courted a few BB's in my time !), the Madagascan Aye-Aye of the aviation world..

Well the smaller set (008'') of Archer rivets arrived this morning and before you know it...they're almost all gone !...well actually 5 hours later and with the onset of severe eye strain I've managed to get one airbrake, both actuator arms and the undercarriage doors done. It took so long because as I anticipated the compound curve of the airbrake petals means that the rivet strips needed to be cut into small sections and then 'persuaded around the bend (know how it feels !), but I think it was worth the effort. I've was also able to finish the nose gear door and its rivetting so that's another thing out of the way, but I'm going to need another set of rivets to do the other half and airbrake inners !!...well no one said it would be easy or cheap !

Right I'm off for a cold bath,

Cheers all,....tally, bally ho.... :pilot:

Melchie....

DSC_0468_zpsd69f4ed2.jpg

The starboard airbrake petal finished...only one more to do now !!! :doh:

DSC_0480_zps702b8ee8.jpg

The pieces all together for a group shot...

DSC_0481_zpse2ff5533.jpg

One of the main gear doors, sorry it's slightly blurred...the old pork pies were beginning to give out ...

DSC_0476_zps41ea28cf.jpg

Both ready for final coat ......(there aren't any rivets missing on the lower one, it's just the light hitting them at an angle)..

DSC_0472_zps1d41027b.jpg

And another group shot with the new nose door....just got to make up and fit the actuators now..

DSC_0471-001_zpsceeb49f8.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 7

Splendid work, old beast! I say but that airbrake looks rather like the battering ram prow from a pre-Dreadnought battleship! The HMS Raging Queen, I believe was the old girl's name.

Yours, etc.

Jason

P.S. As luck would have it, the fine folks at Contrail kindly provided some of what looks like John's streamlined strut material with the kit. Now to get started on the lovely creature!

P.P.S. Being an old Biology major (although I eventually triumphed with a degree in Geology; they'll give diplomas to anyone these [those] days), the Aye-Aye comparison is quite apt, although I believe the Aye-Aye's are quite upset about the comparison.

Edited by Learstang

Thanks chaps, progress is a little slow as i'm trying to fit it in between builds but it's getting there.

Jason,

The HMS Raging Queen, I believe was the old girl's name.

Ah the RQ, a queen of the seven sleaze in her time, sad day when she went down on the Clyde much like her sister ship ...the Jolly Roger.

Good grief, a biology major eh !, I was a private part prior to becoming a Major pain and that was before I became a General nuisance, funny old life ......geology !, study of old fossils eh, well praps you could have a butchers at the memsahib at some point, (she hails from the cretaceous (cretinous) period though branches of her family are more jurassic in their outlook, many a little paleozoic suffering from crinoids with their holocene breaths and calcareous teeth, makes me shudder to think of them ),

The Scottish Aye-Ayes are related to the Welsh Look-Yous and Irish Hey-Heys...

Hugh...I say steady on tiger !! insult or statement of fact !

• Like 1

Hey Strewth Dean, wondered where you'd got to young fella.........what no banter.........come on man spit it out, (I know you're just itching to get all those Adderisms out ! :wicked: )....oh and are we finally going to get you to Bruntingthorpe this time around, if so either drop in with your Eurostar or Cobra...don't mind which, long as I can get back to the gaff in style !! ?

(I know you're just itching to get all those Adderisms out ! :wicked: )..

"You can't deny It's a riveting read"!

Wonderful stuff, What next painting bird droppings on her as part of the weathering. Really great work there, you just re-defined the word "Patience"