1/48 Gloster Meteor U.15 Target Drone, Llanbedr, 1960

This is the Classic Airframes Meteor F.4 kit with the Alleycat U.15 conversion kit and decals and is finished to represent RA479 'E' from RAE Llanbedr in 1960. Barracudacast Resin intakes were also used.

Unusually for me I have used enamels on this build; however the reason being that the best match I could get for the Signal Red and Yellow are produced by Humbrol. Thanks also to those who responded to my questions earlier regarding the colours of the wheel wells.

I mixed my own colour washes from Flory Models Dark and light dirt, about 5 light to 1 dark over the yellow and about 2 to 1 over the red. This is because I wanted just to accentuate the panel lines rather make them stand out too much - these drones were kept in very clean condition. I just added a little post shading with heavily thinned Gunze H95 Smoke Grey along the leading edges of the movable control surfaces and over the airbrakes.

For the whip antennas I used stretched sprue painted Tamiya XF-69 Nato black.

All in all a very enjoyable build, the conversion bits fitted like a dream, the resin intakes remove one of the reportedly more tricky parts of the regular kit build and this goes together a lot easier than many a Classic Airframes kit.

Anyway on to the pictures, I hope you enjoy them.

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Nicely done. I would have stumbled on the demarcation between the yellow and red. Did it give you fits?

Now that is tasty! I love these more unusual schemes. I have a Sea Vixen in my stash waiting to get one of these fancy paintjobs. I hope it comes out this nice!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate them.

The masking was done with good ol' Tamiya masking tape; it took a few attempts to get the straight and curves sorted out but I got there in the end.

I am half tempted to get a Jindivick to go with this; and I am planning the Sea Vixen already...

Edited by graham121