What are Airfix likely to give us next year?

Rev.Light

Having discussed at length what we would like to see Airfix make. What do we actually think we are likely to get?

This year we had or are going to have:

109E

109E Trop

Swordfish Float

P51D

F51

Spit 22

Gnat

A4

Bearing in mind that the 109 Trop is not going to be much different form the new 109E, the same will probably go for the F51 and the swordfish. Putting the swordfish to one side (as it was a 2011 kit), What we have actually been given in 7 1/72 aircraft around a core of 5 brand new kits, with the following breakdown:

2 (or 4 if you include the swordfish and 109 Trop) WWII aircraft, 1 axis and one allied

1 (or 2 if you include the F51) immediately post war

2 cold war jets.

So assuming Airfix give us a similar number of brand new kits in 2013, what do you think they are likley to be. Its going to be a short list! And are they all likely to be fighters? So I will start it off:

WWII:

Allied - I would think it a type used extensively by both US and UK plus other Allies to have the greatest apeal. You could argue for the P36 Hawk (France, UK and USA + others) or the Brewster Buffalo (Dutch, Finnish, UK, USA - especially if you had both noses), Airacobra (USSR, USA, UK, Free French, Australia), Grumman Wildcat/Martlet (USA/UK), But more likely the Corsair or Thunderbolt. But why not the Hellcat, the Tempest or Typoon? And what about the Russian types? My favourite would be the Thunderbolt - not sure why. Do we really need another Spit or Hurricane?

Axis - My favourite here is the FW 190 - we already have 2 109s, the E and the G. Its the next most famous German fighter. But what about an Oscar to go alongside that lovely Zero? Or perhaps something Italian? Fiat, Macchi, etc.

Postwar/Coldwar

There is a limit to size of the aircraft that you can get in a series 1 or 2 box. So anything Tornado/Phantom size is going to be a bigger investment, but we live in hope. So I think we should look at something smaller, perhaps an early Jet and perhaps something with its roots in the end of the second world war. Plus something later. For something with its roots in WWII. How about a Shooting Star, a Meteor or Vampire? Perhaps a Fury or Tempest II? A Bearcat or even a Kingcobra? Banshee or Couger?

For later Perhaps another Russian type, Mig17 or 19 or 21 for the skyhawk to be released with as another dogfight double. Perhaps something French from the Dasault stable (anything!) Or even a Hunter (I can dream about Swifts, Attackers and venoms)

Of course we have missed out the whole fo the WWI and the interar period. Lets hope they suprise us and not just give us another Spit. Although I did like my F22.

So putting my money where my mouth is with a short list of 5:

1. Thunderbolt - successful type produced in large numbers used by multiple Allied countries (closely followed by Corsair then Wildcat/Martlet)

2. FW 190 - its got to be, hasn't it? (closely followed by Oscar or something Italian please)

3. Meteor - cos it British (but would still like to see anything from the Korean War era, or even a Vampire/Venom)

4. Mirage III - (closely followed by a Hunter - now there is a dogfight double from the middle east)

5. Mig 21 - probably way off, but modern fighters are not small. (closely followed by an early Harrier)

1/72nd Seafire 47(should be easy,they've got the basis with the 22)

Scale down that lovely big Sea Vicky to 1/72nd,that would be a winner.

A nice Dove/Devon(with RAF and FAA decals)would go down a real treat

judging on how there's a frenzy when a Rareplanes one appears on

you-know-where for auction.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

It looks like a good guess list to me. The only thing is this type of speculation can still end up being a wish list as any choices we make are going to be clouded by our own personal modeling biases. I agree that the Thunderbolt and 190 might be the best guesses of the lot (figure perhaps some Pacific war RAF markings for, but I might place a Hunter higher than the MiG-21 or a Mirage III (and I assume it would be a Mirage IIIC as opposed to a IIIE, right?).

What about a Hawk 200 as a candidate? They've got the 100 wings and some other elements could transfer over to save some tooling costs. So that would leave the fuselage and the cockpit. Doing a nice bit of new kit tooling treatment to a BP Defiant to complete the triad of 1/72 BoB single engine fighters I also see as a logical choice, given how old their old Defiant is (and given how Defiants are rather scarce subjects in all the scales, meaning a potentially untapped market for a new kit).

I'd like to see some transports.

A new tool 1/72 Dak and maybe a 1/144 version of it too.

Love a York which although a relatively minor market most of the tooling exist in Lancaster moulds....

How about a Hastings for post war or a DH Flamingo?

Spread the wings a bit instead of a succession of sub types of existing kits.

More Short flying boats would be nice and how about the HP.42 re released with Imperial and RAF markings.

Many of these have civil applications as well...as in DH Dove/Devon for the post war modellers

Edited by garryrussell
  • Like 1

2 years ago I managed to guess the Zero. Last year I thought a Mustang would have been a good choice and we got one.... for the next year I'm going to propose a type that I had suggested before but was not done: the Fw-190 !

Now this can be either an A/F or a D. Seeing how the D has been in catalogue for ages, I wouldn't be surprised if this version appeared before the A.

Other guesses ? Maybe a new spitfire variant ? I'd love a Vc, but I could understand if Airfix decided to replace their old Vb.

A Ki-43-I (early) Oscar might be a good choice. The only other kit in 1/72 is Fujimi which although a nice kit was unfortunately based on the Matsuba Minoru plans and has the same "broken back" as the Hasegawa 1/48th kit. Plus the Ki-43-I would be a good dogfight double contender for RAF types - like the new Blenheim! ;-)

The only snag is Zero snobbery which means it might not sell well, being commercially more obscure.

Or they could pull the rug out from under the Japanese and East Europeans and go for a Ki-21 Sally to Swordfish quality.

• Like 1

Reissues? I'm up for the Heron, Or even Bertie Beagle Basset . Possibly another couple from the 1/144 airliners may make an appearance. What big anniversaries are coming up in 2013? The Dams raid - 1943, Comet airliner 1953. Something to do with the 'Red Arrows'??? These and possibly several others may inspire Airfix as they given us other anniversary boxings in the past. Maybe they'll surprise us with something we really want!

Edited by Paul J

I think the P-47 and the Fw 190 are pretty good guesses, they certainly seem to tie in with their re-tool of their back catalogue. I would certainly welcome a P-47, especially if it were to come with optional props, corrugated/un-corrugated cockpit floors and landing light position. Can it be done? Over to you Airfix!

Jet wise, I'm still holding out for Airfix to do a new tool Harrier GR1/3. I'm biased coz I like the Harrier, but you could squeeze both variants into one box in 1/72....

Mark.

May I remind everyone that this thread is not about what you want.

There is a 8 page thread just below about that.

This is about what you think we are going to get.

My wish list would be very different, and very variable.....

Harrier is a good suggestion, but a Hawk 200? How many have been sold and to who?

Edited by Rev.Light

2013 doesn't ring any bells as a significant anniversary so I think it will be a year of consolidation rather than anything startling. A quick look through the current WW2 range shows only a couple of significant gaps so I'll go for a Fw 190A/F, quite possibly in both series 1 and series 2 versions per the Bf 109 and P/F-51. The other gap is for a Series 2 or 3 kit so I'll stick my neck out and suggest a Blenheim. If they go down the same route as the Bf 110, then a BoB boxing early in the year and something more exotic in the autumn.

Postwar, I notice the Hunter which has been a staple of the range for years is missing this year. A new version would fit with recent releases in that you could do two Series 3 boxings from the same tooling the way they did with the Sabres. The same logic would point to a Mirage III/V but that may just be wish projection on my part.

Finally, I think after the Lynxes and Merlin, next year's headline kit will be something big, British and totally unexpected in 1/72. A new Wellington? A Shackleton?? No idea, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

I think that a retool of the Vulcan is still a reasonable bet. Other than that, I concur with FW190, and add Tiger Moth (PLEASE!) and Blenheim as quite popular British subjects likely to be retooled.

Reissues? One has to think which older moulds haven't seen the light of day for a while. To me, the Javelin (with shiny new Cartograf sheet) would be a good choice (not sure how likely it is though)

If we're not careful this thread is in danger of turning into another Airfix "wish list", rather than any reasoned discussion of what their issue strategy might be.

Cheers

Given they've slowly been re-tooling their catalogue, I wouldn't discount a new Fw190 in either long or short nosed variants, plus theres the F4U that might be good seller ( US and FAA subjects - so good cross pond potential).

Perhaps a new tool Mitsubishi Dinah too for the eastern market?

Seeing as their 1/48th program has been esoteric versions of well known aircraft ( Seafires, MK XII spits, and the re-released FR47)

I'd bet on something like a Meteor FR-9, with a MK 8 to come later. ( personally id prefer a Swift, but id doubt it would sell well enough)

Cheers

Jonners

2013 must be a lucky year, & therefore it wil be the year when Airfix finally, finally,finallllly do the right thing & scale down their superb 1/48th Lightnings to the one true scale. It just has to happen, we've waited long enough...!!! :whistle: (& if they do the same to the Sea Vix it will indeed be lucky 13!!)

Keef

• Like 1

rather than any reasoned discussion of what their issue strategy might be.

Only partly tongue in cheek, as i know a little about the industry side of things, it may be that their "strategy" is to release what their planning guys have a personal interest in, the ability to get reasonable references for and a vague idea that they will sell a few of. Apart from the most basic market research that Spitfires, Bf109's and that sort of thing sells well, there isn't a lot of science in it. It's hard to calculate "successes" and "failures" but I suspect there are many of the latter.

Me - I'd like them to keep going through their old catalogue - like the Spitfire, Swordfish etc and I think they will do this.... runs on the board.

2013 doesn't ring any bells as a significant anniversary .....

Finally, I think after the Lynxes and Merlin, next year's headline kit will be something big, British and totally unexpected in 1/72. A new Wellington? A Shackleton?? No idea, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

And on that theme, next year is actually the the 70th anniversary of the Dambuster raid. I know the Dambuster Lanc is still available in the "gift pack", but it would be an appropriate time for a re-tooled version, along the lines of the Revell release (but without the mistakes).

Cheers.

• Like 2

And on that theme, next year is actually the the 70th anniversary of the Dambuster raid. I know the Dambuster Lanc is still available in the "gift pack", but it would be an appropriate time for a re-tooled version, along the lines of the Revell release (but without the mistakes).

Cheers.

More likely they do a re-box with the Lanc and the Tornado as a gift set, both with 617 markings, though it could include the Vulcan too, and would be an "excuse" to scale down the Canberra B2/6 to 1/72.

Cheers

Jonners

Cheers.

They did issue this some time back with a mini dam. So more likely a case of re-issue.

1/24 Mossie bomber / Photo. Recon. any one???

Another Spitfire in 1/48 as they seem to be doing at least one a year....... (14/18/19 :pray: )

1/48 Wasp??????

Edited by jenko

I've mentioned this before but we really need a new range of Shacks, Lincoln and York. Think of the boxed set - Lanc, Lincoln, York.. They already have the wings for the latter, albeit we'd have a mixed set of raised/recessed lines but that's not the end of the world..

What odds would I get to see them do a Victor at some point too? (same thing applies - a V bomber box set!) I wouldn't be surprised to see more Spit versions too

A really good Hawk 200 would be good too, as mentioned before, plus how about a LONG overdue kit of the Westland Wasp?

And whilst I'm on about choppers (ooh err missus.. titter ye not!) I think the Puma could do with an upgrade!

In terms of what we might get though....

If they are going to go through their old catalogue retooling stuff, i guess I'd like to see a P-38 done, along with decent and affordable F-14, F-15, F-18

Endless versions of 109s do nowt for me, and the same could be said for F-16s too, but IF we get any one of the above then I'll be a happy chappy :)

If we're not careful this thread is in danger of turning into another Airfix "wish list", rather than any reasoned discussion of what their issue strategy might be.

Cheers

Lol! I think it was inevitable that it would turn into a "wish list".

With that in mind , I think next year Airfix should/will include ;

ABSOLUTELY NO MORE SPITFIRES/MUSTANGS/FW-190s/BF-109s/P-47s or ANY OTHER WWII SUBJECT THAT HASN'T BEEN DONE TO DEATH ALREADY!!! (ps - no more F-16s either please!! :banghead: )

The only acceptable exceptions to this ( after consulting Mystic Mog - my clairvoyant cat) will be ;

New / retooled H P Hampden, H P Halifax B III/ Short Stirling/ Blenheim 1/IV/V, Blohm und Voss BV-141/Short Sunderland/DC-3/C-47/B P Defiant/ Fairey Battle

Now, moving on to things without whirly bits at the front end (new/re tooled/re released);

Harrier T10/T12,MiG 21/23/17/19/25/31, F-86D, F-84 Thunderstreak, Su -17/22. H P Victor B1/B2/ VC-10 ( 1/72 of course!!), Lightning F1F1A/F2/F3/F6/T4/T5, Javelin,Hunter, a PROPER Phantom ( not that 2nd rate American junk!! Lol!), Typhoon ( at about 1/3 of the price of the new Hasegawa item!), Vulcan B1/B2 (with bomb bay & whizz bangs included)

And finally, ( bearing in mind the recent comments by an Airfix representative re kit releases up to 2017), Mog and I confidently predict we will see ;

Avro Shackleton, Avro Lincoln, Avro York, H S Andover/748,Blackburn Beverley, S A Twin Pin, H P Hastings, a new range of 1/144 airliners

I will now retire to await the arrival of the men in white coats! :yikes:

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Nick,

If not an Oscar? Then what?

Maybe as Jonners suggests an update of their Ki-46? The Hasegawa one is hard to find and in any case I rate the Airfix one as a better overall shape apart from those horrible spinners. Maybe a D3A1 Val update (together with a new B5N Kate!) since you need to re-mortgage for the Cyber-Hobby kit and its "fatally flawed" anyway!