What are Airfix likely to give us next year?

Rev.Light

What we really, actually and urgently need is another Spitfire, we don't by far have enough of them on the world market.

Now seriously I concur to those who said we need an accurate Blenheim series including all the mystery versions we heard about like the turret-less one.

Edited by occa

What we really, actually and urgently need is another Spitfire, we don't by far have enough of them on the world market.

Now seriously I concur to those who said we need an accurate Blenheim series including all the mystery versions we heard about like the turret-less one.

Never mind the sarcasm Occa, if you'd read my post carefully, you see that I mentioned an accurate 1/32nd scale Mk I Spitfire. Hasagawa did a produced Mk I/II, a decent kit but now defunct. It also had some basic inaccuracies which Airfix could avoid by reference to the many references, extant examples and consultation with the very knowledgable people frequenting his site.

Yes, the world does need another Spitfire kit.

Trubbie

A new tool Anson....

A new tool Avro 504K

A Fleet Finch would be nice too... :D

Cheers,

Dave

We're all drifting off the subject of the thread AGAIN.

Don't forget the Forum has, under 'General Discussions' a Members' Wishlist.

Last visit was sometime back in October: now I can see why!

We're all drifting off the subject of the thread AGAIN.

Don't forget the Forum has, under 'General Discussions' a Members' Wishlist.

Last visit was sometime back in October: now I can see why!

Who died and made you the boss?

If there is an issue with the way this post is heading then I'm sure the mods or the OP would have raised it.

It has been and continue's to be a lively and interesting discussion without the appalling behavior that frequents a lot of sites.

Might be a good idea if you mind your own.

• Like 3

Never mind the sarcasm Occa, if you'd read my post carefully, you see that I mentioned an accurate 1/32nd scale Mk I Spitfire. Hasagawa did a produced Mk I/II, a decent kit but now defunct. It also had some basic inaccuracies which Airfix could avoid by reference to the many references, extant examples and consultation with the very knowledgable people frequenting his site.

Yes, the world does need another Spitfire kit.

Trubbie

Hahaha no problem at all with that Trubbie, I don't mind another Spitfire for you big scale guys.

I was only putting out my wishes in a manner that it would be recognized.

Btw I meant the Blenheims to be in 1/72 ...

Edited by occa

I was passing the Airfix stand at Telford and briefly overheard one of their guys telling a punter that an 'all new tool' thats 'as big as the Valiant' would be announced at the end of the year?!! Sorry to tease you all!

Mick

Edited by mick b

I was passing the Airfix stand at Telford and briefly overheard one of their guys telling a punter that an 'all new tool' thats 'as big as the Valiant' would be announced at the end of the year?!! Sorry to tease you all!

Mick

Hope it's a new tool Stirling.

Andrew

• Like 1

I doubt it Andrew as apparently Airfix have said in the past that they will only produce something they can crawl all over with a tape measure.

Mick

So it's not a Vulcan 1 then (the last one which was at Cosford was chopped years ago).

Trevor

Wouldn't an early Typhoon vs Fw190A dogfight double make some kind of sense?

Thing I don't really understand about Airfix is they only rarely seem to make more than one version of the same kit - Hasegawa seems to make endless money out of selling (in some cases) tired old plastic with new sets of decals! It would seem a simpler way to make money than putting out whole new kits. Thought the self-done aftermarket approach for the Valiant PR was interesting, so why not put out some of their own extra bits for the Vulcan, say, to give that one a new lease on life? etc. etc. etc.

Mick

Victor? Make a nice V-bomber trio.

...Thought the self-done aftermarket approach for the Valiant PR was interesting, so why not put out some of their own extra bits for the Vulcan, say, to give that one a new lease on life? etc. etc. etc.

Hythe. Might be tempting, but looking at the right pigs' ear they made of the Vc wing to fit the ancient Spitfre Vb in 1/72 (and the same crime in 1/48) just before the current owners took charge; I would assume the renewed Airfix would be desperate to avoid associating themselves with such last-chance-saloon retools like these. (Thank god!)

However, there must be some space in the market for more 'in house aftermarket' conversions (especially if including nice cartograph decals) for their new kits? Swordfish conversions spring to mind; or even something really left of field- a PR conversion for their 1/72 MkI spit?

regards,

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Wouldn't an early Typhoon vs Fw190A dogfight double make some kind of sense?

Thing I don't really understand about Airfix is they only rarely seem to make more than one version of the same kit - Hasegawa seems to make endless money out of selling (in some cases) tired old plastic with new sets of decals! It would seem a simpler way to make money than putting out whole new kits. Thought the self-done aftermarket approach for the Valiant PR was interesting, so why not put out some of their own extra bits for the Vulcan, say, to give that one a new lease on life? etc. etc. etc.

My understanding is that the Hasegawa approach fits well with what the Japanese market wants: in their shops the kits that have been around for a certain time are sold at very discounted prices, while the brand new ones cost almost as much as in Europe. By producing continuously different boxings with the same plastic, they can provide plenty of "new" kits every year without the need for new moulds and so on. At least this is what I've understood during my trip to Japan (that of course included a few visits to local shops... heaven on earth !), someone might know better.

Not that Airfix seem to have any objection to recycling tired old plastic as many of the kits in their catalogue show ! The only difference is that these usually include the same old decals as well... Guess the kind of market approached by Airfix isn't interested in buying multiples of the same kit with different decals only.

Mick

"As big as Valiant" excludes the VC-10, which in 1/72 is roughly the size of 1/48 Valiant !

See that's one of the things I enjoy about Britmodeller forum threads - subject drift. Just like a normal conversation.

Now for those who are not happy with Cold War subjects being discussed in a WWII section thread it may be worth re-reading the initial post. Rev. Light themself mentioned the Gnat and A4 which, so far as I know, were not around during the Second World War. Or perhaps that's why the Allies won... ;)

Hey Sheriff, show us yer badge!

F53378.jpg

Cool, Nick really does have a badge! I guess he's a "colour sheriff" after all!

See that's one of the things I enjoy about Britmodeller forum threads - subject drift. Just like a normal conversation.

Now for those who are not happy with Cold War subjects being discussed in a WWII section thread it may be worth re-reading the initial post. Rev. Light themself mentioned the Gnat and A4 which, so far as I know, were not around during the Second World War. Or perhaps that's why the Allies won... ;)

Now that you mention it, I guess this whole pointless, sprawling thread should really be in the "Rumourmonger" section. But whatever- enjoy the conversation!

bob

Cool, Nick really does have a badge! I guess he's a "colour sheriff" after all!

bob

That is pretty much the direct opposite of the point I was making and colour has absolutely nothing to do with it, so your smear is tenuous as well as a bit offensive.

Still, I get the message. Bye.