What are Airfix likely to give us next year?

Rev.Light

I believe two items will appear:

1:48 Javelin

1:72 VC10

Beyond that, I think we MAY see a Shackleton and an expansion of the 1:48 military range.

Anything else, who knows (apart from the management at Airfix obviously!)

I really hope we get the Lightning downscaled to 1:72 though, together with a Meteor and Vampire.

The obvious release is the 1/72 Spitfire Mk.Va, because the parts for it are in the Mk.I/II boxing but unused. However, I said that for this year and it hasn't happened.

From what has been said, we can expect more Spitfires, but (apart from the Va) which? In my opinion, a Merlin Seafire is the major omission, there never having been one from any major company, and it would not be a massive step from their Mk.I/II.

I think those who look for new "standards" such as the Fw190 and P-47 are more likely to be correct than those who look at the old Airfix range and pick on the worst kits. Having said that, I thnk a case can be made for the Tiger Moth as iconic enough for the British market.

• Like 1

l hope to see a new Blackburn Buccaneer, F-5E and F-111. ln my opinion all 3 have potential. We are still waiting on a good injection moulded Buccaneer and the same goes for the F-5. The only good F-111 is the Hasegawa one and that goes for crazy money.

Robert

Guess I may as well stick my oar in the water as well.

Several WWII era subjects in 72nd scale that have already appeared but whose old moulds needed replacing and a surprising but welcome addition to the British Cold War era jet line-up in 48th scale. :D

Sorry, seriously now, Airfix seem to be working through the back catalogue and replacing old moulds with new in 72nd and surprising us with something British and a bit less ordinary in 72nd and 48th for the last wee while and I hope the trend continues thus.

Am I correct in thinking the new 48th scale kits have had a distinct Fleet Air Arm bias lately or is it just me noticing those ones more because they catch my attention? If that is so there are only a finite number of fixed wing jet subjects that have not been produced and currently available or projected so I'll go with Supermarine Scimitar sometime in the near future. All the others I can think of are done or announced so I doubt they would produce, for instance, a Sea Hawk when the Trumpeter kit is readily available. If, however, it's going to be a RAF subject I'm lost for suggestions. Perhaps a late mark Meteor?

The 72nd scale series 1 kits seem to strike a nice balance between subjects that inspire the kids to part with pocket money and yet get us adults to buy them as well, hence why I'm sure we will see things continue along the WWII era piston-engined fighter genre in the main. Is the P-47 Thunderbolt a touch too big for series 1? Sure an Fw190 and Hawker Typhoon, Tiger Moth and Seafire I/II/III will fit just fine though.

Oh, before I forget, perhaps 2013 is a little early for the major investment of a new tool 24th scale kit but if the Mosquito has been the well-received success everyone seems to be talking about there may be another WWII type in that range for 2014.

Edited by Col.

I am sure I replied in a similar thread, however as others have mentioned, the safest road for Airfix is to redo lower invesetment (smaller subject) high popularity aircraft.

In their range -

1. Fw190A - they have a reasonably recent mould - maybe they could go for an early A3

2. Kittyhawk - The current kit is ancient. Will appeal to US modellers too.

3. Thunderbolt - Yes, there are lots of nice kits - Airfix still needs to have its own to make money

4. Typhoon - Not as popular a subject but would suit the UK market. Only the Academy kit to compete with.

5. Me 262 - Not really sure this is a big seller, but who knows. The Airfix kit is ancient - if it was good enough for a dogfight double, maybe they do like the subject.

Cheers

Michael

5. Me 262 - Not really sure this is a big seller, but who knows. The Airfix kit is ancient - if it was good enough for a dogfight double, maybe they do like the subject.

Now you mention it a 262 seems a great subject. A German WWII jet fighter. Whoosh! Taka-taka-taka! The artwork would certainly have a bit of life about it to grab attention, locked in combat with Mustangs over a formation of B-24, is there that many kits already on the market to compete with?

I sincerely hope Airfix do not go into 1/32nd!! The market is flooded enough with all those manufacturers from the far east!! Thye should stick the "even numbered" scales 72,48 and 24!!!!

Edited by Paul J

well, it has been discussed before, but it would be nice to see them continuing their Griffon Spitfire versions, a Mk XIV family (including the XIVc & e, XVIII, and PR XIX) in 1:48. It should not be a big deal, especially if they use their 22/24 as a base. Then we could put the hopeless Academy to rest, something Tamiya and Hasegawa are not likely to do.

I do not understand why they should remake the Vulcan. I remember it as a lovely kit (have some stored away somewhere). Then rather a new Victor instead of Matchbox's old.

NPLemche

More commercially sound "bread and butter" stuff in 72nd that has a wide appeal plus the odd distinctly British highlight like a Wellington. Don't think anyone's mentioned the Beaufighter which has been listed in various forms since the last Ice Age. Now in dire need of replacement and has few competitors.

48th is where they seem to poking into the odd corners. Suspect we're Spit/Seafire'd out for the moment so logically you would expect the 50's to feature next, Vampire/venom/Meteor but they do have to account for hard commercial reality.

Stu

I had a chat with my local drug dealer today- OK he's actually the local model shop owner, and he said that the Airfix rep was telling him about the 1:72 Hawker Typhoon for next year. New box, new decals, extra bits but when asked if that meant a new tool the rep clammed up. If this retooling of the existing range goes ahead, I'm all for it just so long as we also get one or totally new items.

Going away from aircraft subjects I'm expecting to see a Mary Rose double kit to coincide with the opening of the new museum in Pompey (full hull and displayed remains).

the Airfix rep was telling him about the 1:72 Hawker Typhoon for next year. New box, new decals, extra bits but when asked if that meant a new tool the rep clammed up.

I think the Typhoon was a predictable choice for Airfix to retool, so I hope it really is a new mold, and not just a reissue of the existing one. Thanks for giving me hope!

John

I had a chat with my local drug dealer today- OK he's actually the local model shop owner, and he said that the Airfix rep was telling him about the 1:72 Hawker Typhoon for next year. New box, new decals, extra bits but when asked if that meant a new tool the rep clammed up.

New box, new decals, extra bits for the old tool? Now that really would be lipstick on a pig.

Hi,

Well trying to mix my wishes and possibilities I would say :

- 1/72nd scale Sea Vixen - downscaling of their 1/48th kit, different version to Cyber Hobby (which is not perfect), classic British aircraft

- 1/72nd scale Buccaneer : no good up to date model on the market ie no competition, classic British aircraft, has been on their catalogue for years

- 1/72nd scale F-84F thunderstreak : no good up to date model on the market ie no competition, has been on their catalogue for years, would follow the F-86 (Airfix just don't screw the F-84F)

- 1/72nd scale Westlan Whirlwind (fighter) and Defiant.

Is it likely? I don't know but I think it would make sense.

Cheers

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

Oh, before I forget, perhaps 2013 is a little early for the major investment of a new tool 24th scale kit but if the Mosquito has been the well-received success everyone seems to be talking about there may be another WWII type in that range for 2014.

Surely given that 2014 would be 100 years of WW1, they would be channeling some energies into WW1 kits for 2014-2018 rather than WW2.

For that reason I see 2013 as being a bit on the barren side for new releases.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

1/72nd Seafire 47(should be easy,they've got the basis with the 22)

Scale down that lovely big Sea Vicky to 1/72nd,that would be a winner.

A nice Dove/Devon(with RAF and FAA decals)would go down a real treat

judging on how there's a frenzy when a Rareplanes one appears on

you-know-where for auction.

what's a sea vicky for gods sake?

Was the Mosquito really a sales success though Col? When it's already down to less than £50 in Modelzone....?? It may well have been a success in terms of the kit manufacturers art, but sales wise? I suppose only Hornby really know....!!

Keef

The trouble i find with 1/24th is you really have to want a kit that big. My wife would always put large size first in most lists except for storage space alloted to husbands models. Generally the first comment with any 1/24th kit is 'ive got no where to put it' and in these cash strapped times its smaller scale kits that will get moulded first the bigger scales are always going to be a risk.

Its only my opinion so dont blow a fuse i wouldnt have a 1/24th Mosquito if they were a tenner im not slagging off the kit (its a beaut)but it would never get built so why buy it?

Edited by davem

Realistically?

In 1/72 perm any from:

P47

Spitfire Va

FW190

Spitfire XIV

F5A

Typhoon

Mirage III

Outside Bets:

Sea Vixen

Spitfire Vb

Westland Whirlwind fighter

Soviet WW2 single engined fighter, probably a Yak

Blenheim

John

Edited by John

The trouble i find with 1/24th is you really have to want a kit that big. My wife would always put large size first in most lists except for storage space alloted to husbands models. Generally the first comment with any 1/24th kit is 'ive got no where to put it' and in these cash strapped times its smaller scale kits that will get moulded first the bigger scales are always going to be a risk.

Its only my opinion so dont blow a fuse i wouldnt have a 1/24th Mosquito if they were a tenner im not slagging off the kit (its a beaut)but it would never get built so why buy it?

The thing about 1/24th scale kits is that they sell very few every year, but they have a long tail, i.e. the Airfix Mosquito is likely to be still the only one for the next 50 years! Also, such kits act as halo models for the entire range, without them Airfix could be considered a budget manufacturer, but with them they can claim to be a match for Tamigawa.

I don't think we will see many released, but year 1 sales figures are not the primary reason why Airfix make them. All IMHO of course...