Issues with the Airfix Trident

Did this sketch of window, emergency exit, door and emergency/cabin supply door differences between marks.

The point is, it wasn't just "short versus long fuselage" Tridents...

Am working with less-than-perfect source material, so E&OE, as usual...

FuselagedifferencesbetweenTridentmarksrev2.jpg

Have uploaded a revised version, with minor differences from yesterday's highlighted with red arrows.

The file is way over the usual limits, so apologies are due to the moderators! If it's a nuisance, I shall gladly take it down (please advise).

Edited by skippiebg

it's defo become one of the definitive Trident model reference sources thats for sure

on the basis of trying to be helpful...

Trident 2 using the airfix kit -

Trident2conversion_6.jpg

Trident2conversion_5.jpg

Edited by kev1n

• 1 month later...

Here's a colour profile of the initial Mark 1C which I did from a set of drawings I'm working on in my spare time. Not sure if they will come to anything, mind, as F-RSIN have announced a very welcome Trident 3B and everyone will say I've just cribbed my drawings from the kit...

Trident1Ccolourprofile2.jpg

Edited by skippiebg
  • Like 1

It would be nice if the F-RSIN Trident 3 matches your drawings... As the owner of F-RSIN doesn't seem to be too sure of what the kit looks like (check his reply in the thread) I am not taking anything for granted.

Jens

What?

I am the person running F-RSIN and I certainly know what the kit looks like. I don't understand your statement. What thread are you talking about? I never wrote in this one until now.

Laurent

T3tail-2.jpg

From the photos on the F-RSIN site, the tail looks just like the one above. (Message edited: initial version of drawing contained inaccuracies. And again... Not my day, it seems...)

Edited by skippiebg

This thread here.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234927038

My question in that thread was:

Will the Trident kit have the mods as per the Trident post on this forum? [ am referring to the excellnt-looking drawings in this thread]

And your answer was:

I think so. When I found out about the Trident thread I had finished designing the kit but I recognised features described in the thread as being reproduced in the kit.

I am sorry, but "you think so" tells me you are not enturely sure if the kit will match these drawings or be a modification of the Airfix kit without the outline corrections identified on the drawings in this thread. For the record, I am unable to see pics at the moment, and I have not checked the F-RSIN website.

Jens

"I think so" means I have not fully read the thread, not that I don't know what the kit I designed looks like. All I can say, and tried to say, was that what I have read of the thread matches what you will see in the kit.

Laurent

Jens: that's OK. If you come to Telford you can also see me in person ;-)

Peter: thanks! As I said I didn't know about your drawings when I designed the kit but the fact that your rendition matches mine is comforting! I actually got a lot of help (and drawings) from Neil, the man who restored G-AWZK in Manchester. He certainly is a trustworthy source.

Laurent

Laurent, I hope to meet Neil one of these days. Am off to Old Blighty on Friday and have a week or so in the North, including the North East Aircraft Museum where Neil is working his wonders on G-ARPO. I can't make Telford yet again, but will definitely be buying T3s from you :)

Edited by skippiebg

interesting thing, languages.

"I think so" can also mean "I think it does"....not just "Er...not sure...but I think it does...maybe...possibly"

:):):):)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just to let all of you Trident afficinados that the set of drawings I began two years ago is now finished. It includes two plans, four elevations, scrap views of kinetics (tailplane, droops, flaps) and modifications (APUs, other bits'n'bobs), plus cross-sections. So far, they are of the Trident 1C only. I am continuing work on the 1E, 2E and 3B. Colour profiles are also in the works.

Now, in case anyone asks me for them, I have to disappoint you for the time being. You see, I have done the drawings as a donation in kind to Save the Trident who will get the right to use and publish them as they see fit. I expect the guys there will put them into calendars or publications, so they will definitely see light of day as-and-when. Until then, here's a little teaser:

Teaser1_zpsb0838aed.jpg

Teaser2_zps926f98bb.jpg

Even better, the best-ever maker of authentic resin airliner kits might, just, offer a kit of, possibly, the Trident 1E using the drawings!

De Havillands, and later Hawker Siddeley, were quite secretive with the Trident and issued nothing more than three-view general arrangements, some of them quite flawed and all of them bereft of detail. No independent artist did any drawings in the great age when airliner "plans" used to appear regularly in aeronautical magazines. Though doen on computer, my drawings are arranged, annotated and presented in a retro manner, as if someone like D H Cooksey had drawn them in the mid-Sixties.

Edited by skippiebg
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Friends -- hardly a month goes by without a kindly worded PM'd request for the drawings from someone. I have to turn the requests down... This prompts me to make a couple of explanations.

First, I have promised the drawings as a contribution to Save the Trident (see web, Facebook) . They are restoring G-ARPO at the North East Air Museum for free and need all the help they can get. The drawings might help them raise funds. It would be taking the wind out of their sails to offer them "under the counter", regardless how well intentioned.

Second... Err-r-r... the drawings aren't ready, despite what I wrote above. (Consider my head suitably bowed and covered in ash.) Well, they are, in a way -- as bigger, "jazzed-up" versions of what we've all seen in journals and books these 50 years. But, in the course of doing them, I keep discovering things that are plain wrong and things that are mere assumptions, some of them since proven wrong. Some of the areas can be ignored. Others are "majorly wrong". You are modellers, you know what I mean. An iffy model can be satisfying in its way, but if you want a cracker, only the best will do... I now have iffy Trident drawings and, perfectionism or not, only the best will do.

Problem is, I have no hard dimensional data on any Trident mark. In the past two years, I have obtained a set of DH Engineers Notes, a Trident 1 Airfield Compatibility booklet, and a set of Trident 1E Flight Manuals (one supposedly covering technical aspects). Rare as hen's teeth they may be, but none turned out to have any of the dimensional data I need. So I still have only what Jane's AWA and Flight's Commercial Aircraft Survey carried in the 60s and 70s. Save the Trident very kindly snapshotted a couple of 1C and 1E interior arrangement diagrams with a couple of very basic dimensions, but they only point to the lack of information I face. Worse, they show up one or two alarming departures from the truth...

I have put out appeals for airframe (wing, fuselage, fin, tailplane, nacelle/pylon, control surface) station diagrams and aeroplane rigging diagrams which would make me happy as the proverbial sand boy. These are normally contained in overhaul and airframe service manuals. The Pprune and Airmech forums have failed to come up with anything. BAE Heritage and BA Heritage appear to have nothing, or cannot be asked. The Public Records Office and the British Library have nothing. Save the Trident appear not to has anything (and they don't need it, anyway). I am at a loss where to look...

So there it is. I do hope that one day I might be able to finish the drawings but cannot guarantee anything. If I went ahead with wrong drawings, Sod's Law will undoubtedly punish me straight away. I trust you understand and accept my apologies...

-------

edit: just to add, the Science Museum and the DH Museum in London Colney have nothing, but thanks for the suggestions. That just about rounds up possible sources. Oh, an entertaining episode involved me joining a Chinese forum and using Google Translate. least said, soonest mended. Suffice it to say, I was overwhelmed with offers of flight sim software and Goolge Translate saw some heavy usage as I phrased custom-written courteous declines... Also joined a great PIA forum with no luck. Oh, and going up to G-ARPO with a tape measure, as sensibly suggested, is no real solution as I can just see the guys relishing my getting under their feet and looking weird for days on end...

Oh, and I even got in touch with a DH/HS flight development engineer and a most pleasant retired HS drawing office chap, the later of whom has treated us to some of the best scale aircraft drawings imaginable. You guessed -- they had loads of just the stuff I need -- NOT :)

Edited by skippiebg
  • Like 3