Revells history makers Thor irbm and launch pad.

Hi all, i like this little kit,a bit fiddly but erector works fine, just a unusual subject not many kits about. have a look, cheers Don.

035-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-6.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-1.jpg

020-4.jpg

022-3.jpg

021-2.jpg

023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

027-3.jpg

029-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

and finally with its mach 2 big brother

033-1.jpg

cheers thanks for looking again,not sure if these are the same or different pics,as previously posted but hey ho,have a look and go? cheers Don

Edited by jetboy

That version of the kit dates back to the early/mid '80s, the original would have dated to circa 1958/9. I'm not sure if it has been re-issued as part of SSP programme since - my gut reaction is, it has not but happy to be proved wrong. Even the History Maker version is worth a bob or two now - I can recall when one could not literally give away the HMs and they routinely ended up in pound shops, how times have changed.

Nice build by the way.

Marty...

That version of the kit dates back to the early/mid '80s, the original would have dated to circa 1958/9. I'm not sure if it has been re-issued as part of SSP programme since - my gut reaction is, it has not but happy to be proved wrong. Even the History Maker version is worth a bob or two now - I can recall when one could not literally give away the HMs and they routinely ended up in pound shops, how times have changed.

Nice build by the way.

Marty...

Mat Irvine's indispensable book Creating Space (which is crying out for an updated edition) says that the Thor and Jupiter kits were first issued in 1958 (separately), then combined in the History Makers Series II in 1983.

cheers guys,i'll post the other model out of the kit later,still having trouble with the cotton on the crane,might try pva glue to stiffen it,see what you think,cheers for reply ....Don

Jetboy, nicely executed model there. Are there parts to build the Thor as the IRBM, or do you only get the bits for the Thor-Delta?

I like the big brother too - what kit is that?

no just the parts for the delta,but it wouldt take much to alter it,its big brother is a Mach 2 kit french i think,very flimsy mouldings and lots of filler,but nice when finished,and there still available at comet about 25 quid.......thanks Don

Nice to see 'em again! Built a few when I was a kid. I recall an Atlas Icbm with the whole launch platform....it was, um, a challenge.

Nice to see 'em again! Built a few when I was a kid. I recall an Atlas Icbm with the whole launch platform....it was, um, a challenge.

Hi seadog,is this what you were thinking of,you can buy them for 30 quid,and LVMstudios do a p.e tower for it about a 100 quid,not sure if i need one or not, cheers Don

017-23.jpg

missiles not very big

018-24.jpg

a lot of railings etc

019-24.jpg

and then theres always this

020-23.jpg

cheers DON

Hi seadog,is this what you were thinking of,you can buy them for 30 quid,and LVMstudios do a p.e tower for it about a 100 quid,not sure if i need one or not, cheers Don

missiles not very big

a lot of railings etc

cheers DON

It seemed so big back then, coincidentally, my Father designed the main fuel valve for the Atlas...he was working on Cryogenic pumps at the Batelle Institute in Columbus Ohio.

020-23.jpg

cheers DON

Ah yes, with those famous Florida mountains in the background (as Mat Irvine points out in his book Creating Space.)

• 6 months later...

I like that very much, there's a lot going on. The interest doesn't stop when the modelling ends, there's so many different ways of displaying it.

Have you seen the Thor Able at the National space Centre?

You certainly manage to track down some interesting builds!

Cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...