Bronco 1/35 Comet tank

Ever since I discovered that the Irish Army used these Comets I have had a hankering to build one (in Irish marking naturally).

Hi Seán,

I remember seeing these parading along the main street of Newbridge in Co. Kildare around 1970, and the marks they left in the tarmac. They were to be seen in a shed at nearby Curragh Camp for some years afterwards. I wonder what became of them. I imagine they were scrapped, but I daresay someone knows better.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

This kit was bit of a slow burner, build wise (more than a year) and it was even on the shelf of doom for a while.

It's a complex kit (lots of small pieces) but nicely detailed. I don't know know whether it's accurate or not (rumours say not) but it looks like a Comet and that's all that matters AFAIC.

There's no radio aerials attached as it would make the tank too tall to fit in the display cabinet. The canvas mantlet is the resin Bronco version, which you have to buy separately :angry:. Foolishy I thought that, being a Bronco product, the resin mantlet would fit the Bronco kit but it wasn't the case. I don't know whether I screwed up in some way but I had to butcher the turret to get it to fit, it was a real pain in the a$$.

The figure is from the Tasca Firefly, stowage on the back was my first proper go at hand made stuff, I'm not that happy with it but it will do. The base is a plaster cast from a Formulay vacform sheet.

Hi Neil,

Nice neat result there, I like that a lot. I think I remember you from rec.models.scale back in the 1990s. Neil Scrimgeour by any chance?

Joseph

Great build, and very good photographs. My photos never come out right.

I've got one of these kits to do, with the metal barrel and resin mantlet, but I'll be getting four Tortoise kits from Meng before I can get round to building my Comet.

Hi Neil,

Nice neat result there, I like that a lot. I think I remember you from rec.models.scale back in the 1990s. Neil Scrimgeour by any chance?

Joseph

Hi Joseph

Yeah, one and the same, I think there's only one modeller in the world with that surname :)

But good god ... rec.models.scale ... that's going back! Can't even think what I posted on there. :shocked:

Neil

Looks spot on to me. The thing with the comet, and to me this is part of its appeal, it's essentially an 'austerity' vehicle. If it's not needed it's not on. Its designed for mass production by a semi skilled work force and armed to do the job (destroy latter war German armour) . A very good filler for the RAC until Centurion came on line.

Edited by benskipper