Bronco 1/35 Comet tank

This kit was bit of a slow burner, build wise (more than a year) and it was even on the shelf of doom for a while.

It's a complex kit (lots of small pieces) but nicely detailed. I don't know know whether it's accurate or not (rumours say not) but it looks like a Comet and that's all that matters AFAIC.

There's no radio aerials attached as it would make the tank too tall to fit in the display cabinet. The canvas mantlet is the resin Bronco version, which you have to buy separately :angry:. Foolishy I thought that, being a Bronco product, the resin mantlet would fit the Bronco kit but it wasn't the case. I don't know whether I screwed up in some way but I had to butcher the turret to get it to fit, it was a real pain in the a$$.

The figure is from the Tasca Firefly, stowage on the back was my first proper go at hand made stuff, I'm not that happy with it but it will do. The base is a plaster cast from a Formulay vacform sheet.

comet01.jpg

comet02.jpg

comet03.jpg

comet04.jpg

comet05.jpg

• Like 2

That looks great, having done a couple of Bronco builds I can understand what you are saying, their kits are very well engineered but use 10 parts where 1 would do, so my Bronco builds take forever, but the end result of your build looks great, if my Comet comes out half as nice as yours I will be very happy.

Cheers

Den

well if thats "unbuildable" then I d love to see what you do with a "buildable" model. I build aircraft, but the Comet is probably my favourite tank ( blame matchbox!)

and that to my eye is superb. There's a very nice sense of reality to your model- with the weathering adding to the effect rather than taking it all over.

Plus, may i say - I love the cobbled street - it really adds to the overall vignette.

Possibly one of the best tank models this wing-obsessed modeller has seen....

Hats & Huzzars Sir!

Jonners

Very, very nice indeed. Beautifully weathered and the figure really sets it off!

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the comments guys

That's a very nice job young Sir

Ah, to be young ... if only :) This month I reached what I consider to be the twilight modelling age

And the relaxed figure adds that personal touch.

The figure is a beautiful moulding and possibly one of the best injection figures I've seen, great sculpting by whoever mastered it. Yep, you're right, it's a very relaxed pose and I was lucky that it fitted the cupola pefectly.

well if thats "unbuildable" then I d love to see what you do with a "buildable" model.

It's not unbuildable, it's just very complex. As Den said, they use 10 parts when 1 would do but they are well engineered. Bronco like to produce unusual aubjects and I'd happily build another Bronco kit (I keep looking at their Humber IV and salivating at the prospect) but you need to set a fair bit of building time aside.

Ever since I discovered that the Irish Army used these Comets I have had a hankering to build one (in Irish marking naturally).

Seeing yours has rekindled this desire...

I have to say that it looks fantastic with alot of nice detailing and that weathering is first rate... I do hope that you get to add the radio aerials at some point.

Edited by Séan Pádraig

If my Comet turns out half as well I'll be happy. That's a very nice build :thumbsup:

I'm a bit OCD with details and, I think, so are a lot of the unbuildable crowd. In my experience if something is out there'll be a solution. If this isn't mentioned ignore the comment because the 'problem' hasn't been thought through.

You've got the weathering very well and the stowage looks OK to me as the tank isn't depicted as moving. I would humbly suggest depicting some sort of stowage securing if you make a more active scene.

I took my dad to a reunion a few years ago and got chatting to a lovely guy who'd been in the Guards Armoured Division in WW2, apparently they even took the tools off the tank and wrapped them in the bivvy sheet to stop the infantry nicking them!! Except the spade which was carried as high up as possible!

If you're happy and you enjoyed finishing it that's what matters most. :winkgrin:

absolutely lovely build, as others have said, your weathering just sets it off as well as too does the base and figure. Wish I could turn my hand to other subjects and do as well as you have (I build a/c)

Unfortunately I would not know where to start with armour

Bruce