Cold War Aircraft Modeller - Issue 1 Further Content Revealed!

Spence

Hi Spence,

Just as with Keef, you're covering my main era of interest, so I'm really looking forward to this :D. I realise you are probably still attending to the details, but do you have any idea as to what distribution you might be aiming for over here in the colonies? I'd be happy to subscribe, but I do like to support my LHS - so if they can get hold of it, it would benefit both.

Cheers!

Hi John - thanks for the interest! It will only be available directly from me initially, but I will be able to post it out to you...

Looking forward to seeing the result at Telford

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris - me too!

Looking forward to the first issue, Spence.

I probably won't be able to make Telford this year, but assume this will also be available from WH Smiths?

Cheers,

Mark

No - initially, only from me direct, either via an email order, or at shows and events. I'll firm that up nearer the release date. As for Smiths - let's just say... Actually, let's not! :whistle:

Spence

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've now started work on the new title 'Cold War Aircraft Modeller' and can now reveal that the core feature in the first issue will be a detailed build of the Airfix Lightning F.6, along with an extensive walkround of both of Bruntingthorp's incredible aircraft. We'll also be featuring Daniel Zamarbide's amazing 1/32 F-4C Phantom, together with new features by Andy Davies and Haris Ali - amongst others... ;)

Here's a teaser shot from the first issue...

Spence :)

7886981296_6f5569c4eb.jpg

• Like 1

Please keep the 3 colour logo, I think it looks great.

Who would not buy it with that Lightning cover!!!! :Tasty:

Julien

Hey mate - that's not a cover, just a monographed image. The cover will be exactly as shown earlier, but with different images and straps.

Here's another picture with some more content, this time following the style of the earlier cover...

7894450312_b881d546ba_z.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!

Time to start work on the new magazine and so am now developing ideas for layouts. Here's the first prototype page and the template for the designs to come. As you can see, I'm trying to create a hyper-clean look, that will get the point across in an easy to navigate way. In order to make it stand away from other titles, I'm also going for a slightly retro feel that doesn't use any form of dropped shadows, clever titles etc. - not that I don't like them, I just want to produce something a little more in keeping with my own taste for once! I hope you like it as much as I do

Spencer :)

7920703560_cf9796b8f5_c.jpg

• Like 1

Liking it so far!

A few thoughts:

• it does seem awfully grey. Using block colour is working on the outlining of the article title but would a lighter background shade (or possibly black outlines?) be possible?
  • I can see how the bar behind the first caption is linking to the one behind the title, but: (i) if the link is intentional, making them the same shade of grey would bring it out; and (ii) it's a little odd that other captions won't be treated the same way.
  • I think there are three fonts on this page, if you include the page number. All of them are attractive but if it were me I'd stick to no more than two. Using the font from the magazine title for the article title would help to tie things together and establish the branding even more firmly.
  • In a similar vein, I'd use one spot colour instead of the two shades of blue.

Edited by pigsty

Like it too. Question will you be having eventually scale line drawings as well?? So far your experience and tastes are a good combination. Keep up the good work

Hey mate - that's not a cover, just a monographed image. The cover will be exactly as shown earlier, but with different images and straps.

Here's another picture with some more content, this time following the style of the earlier cover...

7894450312_b881d546ba_z.jpg

I do like this Spence, but the only niggle I have is that the small top photo isn't level? :)

Liking it so far!

A few thoughts:

• it does seem awfully grey. Using block colour is working on the outlining of the article title but would a lighter background shade (or possibly black outlines?) be possible?
  • I can see how the bar behind the first caption is linking to the one behind the title, but: (i) if the link is intentional, making them the same shade of grey would bring it out; and (ii) it's a little odd that other captions won't be treated the same way.
  • I think there are three fonts on this page, if you include the page number. All of them are attractive but if it were me I'd stick to no more than two. Using the font from the magazine title for the article title would help to tie things together and establish the branding even more firmly.
  • In a similar vein, I'd use one spot colour instead of the two shades of blue.

Hi Sean.

This is only a prototype page, so I'm still working out ideas. The background shade can be manipulated accordingly and lightened darkened to taste. As this is not an article that will be published in CWAM, I won't bother here, but will consider that at a later date. As for black outlines to images - no. I just don't like the way they dominate the page with such definite borders.

The bar behind the caption has nothing to do with the upper runner. This is simply a way of avoiding the use of 'ABOVE', 'BELOW', 'LEFT' and 'RIGHT' in all of the photo captions, which is looking a little tired now. The tabs will be used to link captions to appropriate images as seen here. The reason that it is not used on the one below, is simply because it is too far away from the image and would mean that I had to pass it under all of the text - which would not look good! The completed magazine will use both of these systems to caption images, the latter only being used in circumstances where the former is impractical.

As for fonts - I agree. Two is plenty. I may even use only one for all text and titles, using standard, bold and italic text to differentiate specific sections.

The different shades of blue is a tough call, the titling being darker simply to make it stand out a little. They are actually the same 'colour', though a different tone... Still, you have better eyes than I have - I hadn't noticed the difference!!!

Thanks for the input!

I do like this Spence, but the only niggle I have is that the small top photo isn't level? :)

You might be right! Still, as this is only a quickly put together image to advertise up-coming content and not something I will using in the mag, I won't worry about it! ;)

Spence

Call me old fashioned and out of date but I like black print on white paper. Won't stop me buying it but might stop me buying the next.

Hi mate - this is only one page. The magazine will have a mixture of coloured and white backgrounds. This image is simply there to show the direction of the design, not how every page will look... ;)

All the best - Spence

Like it too. Question will you be having eventually scale line drawings as well?? So far your experience and tastes are a good combination. Keep up the good work

I'd like to think so! I really do want this to follow a more traditional route and so if I can use that type of material, I will...

Spence

I think it looks really good and I'll deffinately buy issue 1, my only suggestion (I have no publishing knowledge at all I just likes what I like) is the article title looks a little odd across the colour split, maybe it's the colours but I find it hard to read.

Hi Sean.

As for black outlines to images - no. I just don't like the way they dominate the page with such definite borders.

Sorry if not clear - I meant only the borders on the title lettering. The lack of borders to the photos is a very nice clean feature. Now that I see the white version, I can see the merits in not using white.
The bar behind the caption has nothing to do with the upper runner. This is simply a way of avoiding the use of 'ABOVE', 'BELOW', 'LEFT' and 'RIGHT' in all of the photo captions, which is looking a little tired now. The tabs will be used to link captions to appropriate images as seen here. The reason that it is not used on the one below, is simply because it is too far away from the image and would mean that I had to pass it under all of the text - which would not look good! The completed magazine will use both of these systems to caption images, the latter only being used in circumstances where the former is impractical.

Ah, I see the problem. How about block arrowheads sitting behind the text? If you avoid having too many images sitting side-by-side, it can work.

Edited by pigsty

I'm with silver fox. prefer white pages with black text. Any other background does my eyes in and I find it hard to concentrate reading white text against dark backgrounds for instance.

Edited by Paul J