F16 Razorbacks 1/48 Academy

Hello everyone!

This is my first post and my first build thread :)

This is the first time i am building a 1/48 scale, i have only built smaller kits.

This is also the first kit i have/will ever paint with an airbrush.

Here is the current state of the build:

i8JOd.jpg

I am currently thinking what colors i should paint the missiles and rockets on this plane.

I can follow the instructions but maybe more "modern" colors would look better.

Thanks for reading, i will keep this thread updated!

• Like 1

Tamiya X-2 didn't turn out as nice as expected...

I guess i should buy the XF-2 and see how that turns out, i have a bad feeling about this color.

I tried many ratios between color and thinner and it all came out a mess.

cMWMf.jpgs1eGt.jpg

• Like 1

So i got my compressor and tried it out :)

OH MAN what a difference from the old crap i used.

The Tamiya X-2 came out perfect , about 10-3 ratio color-thinner.

Here is a boring sample, the interesting pictures will come soon enough :)

o9Yhz.jpg

• Like 1

Looking really good! :coolio:

I know from my first attempt with the airbrush there is a real tendency to go too heavy with the final coat and wipe out the pre-shading but that's a really good finish.

I've found spraying tamiya white it's easier to go with a coat of XF-2 matt white first then go for the gloss. Whenever I spray gloss white it does exactly what yours did, feels like you've watered it down too much!

Thanks guys.

I actually felt like i sprayed too heavy and covered all the pre-shading completely... :banghead: but some of it still shows.

Should i put decals on that and then spray over with a gloss coat?

Or should i spray gloss coat and then put decals?

I will airbrush the bottom side soon . Stay tuned! :work:

PsyQuad,

Hello and WELCOME to BM:)

Your progress on the F16 is very good so far.

Looks good to ME.Your airbrushing is impressive seeing it is your first time.

Keep up the good work.

Will be back to see how you get on .

HOUSTON.

Good work so far! Gloss first then decals,that way you will avoid any silvering (where air is trapped in the rough finish of the top coat of paint and shows through as silver bubbles)

Finish off with a coat of the final varnish as required matt satin etc.

Keep up the good work

RG

So here is the whole plane painted.

I also did a "coat test" on the small piece there. What do you think? Should i coat the whole plane like that and then apply decals? Then spray some more over the decals?

What should i do next? :blink2:

PhoiDh.jpg2b79Uh.jpgi9KKTh.jpgtYVaQh.jpgZZSzHh.jpg

I am aware of the small imperfections and mistakes i did, i will try to fix those with a new coat of paint. I also need to paint the lower part of the cock pit black i think, everything under the canopy should be black right?

:)

• Like 1

I must say that for your first time air-brushing that's very good work.

I managed to gunk up 2 airbrushes and needed to sand 2 attempts off during my first go at an airbrushed finish, so I'm very impressed.

I must say that for your first time air-brushing that's very good work.

I managed to gunk up 2 airbrushes and needed to sand 2 attempts off during my first go at an airbrushed finish, so I'm very impressed.

Thanks.

Many years of painting , brushing and using spray cans taught me something i guess.

Some exhaust work

The turbine got a bit tooooo yellowish but it's deep inside there so it barely shows,

Store ran out of gold flake color so i improvised with metal gray and yellow... didn't turn out the best but i don't mind since it's deep and hidden , i am very proud of my exhaust otherwise. Looks much better than in the pix.

Z6Ayc.jpg

JGYvw.jpg

• Like 1

Sooooooooooooooooooo

Damage day.

Decals on paint, pre gloss : Check.

Matt finish on cockpit : Check.

Damaged decals with finish: Check.

I have learnt many things NOT TO DO on the next build.

Next build will be much more structured. This one is turning out to be an experimental build.

I almost dropped the plane after i covered it with a mat finish, in order not to drop it i had to grab it quickly, so ther are finger prints and stuff in the finish now :(

I will just glue everything into place and finish this up.

• 1 year later...

Nothing to be down hearted about there chap, fantastic clean looking f16. I'm still very much a novice and i can promise you my first attempts with an airbrush were not as good as this. Keep it up and looking forward to your next build

joe

Nothing wrong there. The Academy F16 is a good little kit, not that expensive but the decals are a 'mare! Very thin & have a mind of their own! It looked okay from your photos, it's not a real model without a fingerprint or two and, good effort for trying the airbrush. Personally, I've never mastered it & at the age of 46 I've given up, I'm a brush kind of guy.

Keep going.

Looks good to me. I always try to learn something new with every build. Keeps the interest levels up for me, and the people on this site are an invaluable source of information.

Cheers,

Tom