Great stuff Kev, wondered what had happened to this one... lovely detail work on a great subject, (I remember suffering probably the roughest flight I ever had as a young air cadet on our way into a very stormy Wildenrath courtesy of Invicta and an extremely hormonal Mother Nature !!).

Look forward to progress....

• Like 1

Sheer bloody amazing modelling Kev

There's a can of chilled Stella raised here to this piece of magic

nice one mate, awfully nice

I do love the Vickers Airliners, you make this look so easy

"Oh dear that went wrong let's try this oh yes that's fine, what now?"

Simply awesome working out how to get the result

:thumbsup:

Cheers Perdu, I wish it was easier sometimes, but there is no other 1/72 Vanguard kit in town, at the moment I should say, as there might be one in the pipe line.

this is a fantastically interesting build - I saw the first part on the forum about a year ago and had forgotten about this build so it is nice to see it back in the spot light again.

My Dad flew BEA Vanguards for a few years when he had just left Hamble where he trained back in the early 60's, before taking his command on Viscounts. He has a nice framed painting of a Vanguard flying out from Malta by Anthony Rowland as a memory to these beautiful old ladies which sounded just as beautiful (for those that can remember them)

Keep up the great work - let me know if you ever consider selling the finished build as my Dad would treasure something like this.

John

Thanks, I have been told the Vanguards were very noisy, when I was at Brooklands I spoke to one of the pilots of the BEA Vanguards, very nice bloke who also flew bombers during the WW2.

Great stuff Kev, wondered what had happened to this one... lovely detail work on a great subject, (I remember suffering probably the roughest flight I ever had as a young air cadet on our way into a very stormy Wildenrath courtesy of Invicta and an extremely hormonal Mother Nature !!).

Look forward to progress....

Thanks General, much appreciated coming from a great modeller as yourself

This is really coming together nicely Kev.

I keep looking in to watch as you progress and must say that for me, it's one of the most enjoyable threads currently on the go

All the best

Chris.

• Like 1

This is really coming together nicely Kev.

I keep looking in to watch as you progress and must say that for me, it's one of the most enjoyable threads currently on the go

All the best

Chris.

Thanks Chris, I must admit it's been a struggle, I don't think it's on the same par as Toms Halifax though and generals 1/24 buccaneer.

Hopefully if the weather is ok I can prime the fuselage tomorrow, then I can start attaching the wings

I couldn't help myself - I have had to come back and run through the whole of this topic again just to refresh myself on such a magnificent work of art - I cant wait to see her finished. I hope you don't have any cats in the house that could destroy it when finished. :jump_fire:

• Like 1

Yeap they sure are noisy, I am to young to remember these aircraft, but would of loved to see them start the one up at Brooklands

Did you see the video of the aircraft arriving at Brooklands? Interesting :analintruder:

I couldn't help myself - I have had to come back and run through the whole of this topic again just to refresh myself on such a magnificent work of art - I cant wait to see her finished. I hope you don't have any cats in the house that could destroy it when finished. :jump_fire:

Thanks again, no cats in our house hold, only a rabbit that thinks he owns the house

Just found this, incredible work :)

really like the window idea(not that I've got anything to use it on)

K

thanks K, the windows is a new modelling skill for me, so I will see how this goes for future use on something similar such as the Vickers Viscount 802

Yeap they sure are noisy, I am to young to remember these aircraft, but would of loved to see them start the one up at Brooklands

Did you see the video of the aircraft arriving at Brooklands? Interesting :analintruder:

yeap they are noisy, I'm afraid these engines won't be starting up anymore because of lack of spares for the RR Tyne engine

I have seen that video, and others on Youtube with the start up of the engine, will have to go there again soon, as its not to far from my home

This build (fantastic by the way) seems to have brought out the nostalgia in everyone. By the time I went to work at Heathrow they were used for freight only, we called them Guardsvans and they operated at night. Probably would n't be allowed now because they were noisy, about the only prop aircraft I can remember being able to hear from the tower on take off!

• Like 1

This build (fantastic by the way) seems to have brought out the nostalgia in everyone. By the time I went to work at Heathrow they were used for freight only, we called them Guardsvans and they operated at night. Probably would n't be allowed now because they were noisy, about the only prop aircraft I can remember being able to hear from the tower on take off!

Thanks Biggles, much appreciate.

I have completed priming the Fuselage with Tamiya fine primer, this was then micro meshed down to get rid of the roughness spraying from a aerosol can can cause, now for the tricky part of getting the wings and fuselage together and getting every thing lined up.

fuselageprimed_1_zps15187b51.jpg

fuselageprimed_zps94dadd3d.jpg

fuselageprimed_3_zps5af0fcea.jpg

fuselageprimed_2_zpsd2beae9b.jpg

fuselageprimed_5_zps172aaa17.jpg

fuselageprimed_4_zps0c9cca27.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Finally attached the wings to the fuselage, a bit of effort required to try and line every thing up, also a lot of filler and sanding was required when I attached the bottom part that went underneath the centre of the wing, finally I primed it to see any areas that needed sorting out, finished it of by adding some panel lines, I still need to find out where some panel lines need to go in this area, so a visit to Brooklands is on the cards.

Getting there but still a long way to go

I Have also started to make the main undercarriage legs and doors.

wingsattached_1_zps7dbb6240.jpg

wingsattached_2_zpsb8844070.jpg

wingsattached_3_zps924da786.jpg

wingsattached_zps6c4098e6.jpg

wingsattached_4_zps7241f269.jpg

• Like 3

Looks very nice indeed. I am curious about Tamiya primer I have never used it to date.

Is it very tough I wonder.

Must try it. Looks fantastic ;)

Cheers Rob, Tamiya primer is very good, but its a bit pricey, some on here use Halfords primer, it is very tough and is easily sanded back once dry.

• Like 1

Tamiya primer is great Rob, highly recommended.

Looking great Kev, it's going to be a gem, do you think you'll have it finished for Telford?

Thanks Woody, I can't see it being finished for Telford, but would be nice, I'm not as fast as Tom when it comes to Vacfoms, but saying all that you never know, if things go OK and I don't get any hiccups along the way.

• Like 2