• 1 month later...

Firstly, I would like to apologise for a long delay in getting back to and responding to every body who has posted on my build.

This is coming along brilliantly, always had a soft spot for this aircraft. Can't wait for the next update.

Thanks Sean, there is a next update

Fabulous scratchbuilding of the undercart, always a 'make or break' for a model

You get M A K E in headline letters

Nice vacforming too, fun innit :thumbsup:

And the front door, simply great

b

Cheers Perdu, vacform can be fun but also frustrating, especially for me

Lovely stuff Kev....don't worry about making stuff quickly ! It's done when it's done and not before ! I couldn't care less how long the process takes (with the exception of magazine dead lines or commissions of course) and I certainly wont ever rush a job......take as long as you need, looks like it'll be well worth it.....

Thanks General, slowly plodding on, would of liked to of finished it completely for Telford, but hopefully all will be finished by the end of the year

This looks fantastic. Excellent progress being made.

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks Tom

stunning work and still a pleasure to follow - I cannot wait to see the completed build

I can't wait either, I want to finish it and may be start something else

Only just caught up with this one. Having worked with RR Tynes in their marinised form (the Type 42 destroyer and the early Type 22 frigates both had 2 x Olympus and 2 x Tyne), I can vouch for how noisy they are at full power.

Seeing modelling like this, having witnessed what you started with, is so inspiring.

I never knew they used the Tyne RR on Type 42's

Brilliant job. :analintruder:

I see you didn't miss the door handle detail difference between the BEA and TCA versions :bounce:

Cheers Gary, now that would be a mistake

:mike:

Thanks

Those decals for the wheel hubs are great Kev, great idea :)

Cheers Woody, I used the same technique on the Varsity

Coming along nicely, and looking very, very nice.

Cheers

John

Thanks John

I've been in touch with a Gene Hooker over the last couple of days. He's got 8 Vanguards left! He's in his 70s and his vac former is in his 80s so there may not be many more produced.

I think this will be my only one, its taken to long just for this one

Epic win, some real modelling going on here.

Thanks Goggsy

Hi Kev

We met at Modelfest Farnborough where I you had this work in progress. I was immediatley impressed by the level of detail & work on what is a very basic starting platform. A very rare and special project. I'd love to have a go at this 1/72 Vanguard and although I've taken on complex vacform builds like this before I've no doubt this would be the ultimate test and can't imagine getting anywhere close to the level of finish & detail I anticipate you are aiming for. I'll get in touch with Gene Hooker and see if I can get me the vac kit, as primative as it is.

Keep at it and will wait patiently for the end result. Great work so far.

Cheers

Alastair

Thanks Alistair, nice meeting and chatting with you as well at Farnborough

Wow, I've only just come across this build how I missed it previously I don't know.

Awesome workmanship and some great techniques demonstrated, rest assured I'll be keeping an eye on the thread from now on.

Cheers

I second that. The whole undercarriage assembly is a little work of art Kev (as were the steps - as was the (etc etc)). :)

Thanks Fritag, your modelling skills are just as inpressive

OK, I have been busily working away on this, or not as I only get a Saturday modelling without being moaned at by the other half, if you get my drift, I have finished painting (spraying) the fuselage and wings, I used Tamiya gloss red for the wings, Tamiya gloss for the white, Tamiya semi-gloss for the black band and flat aluminium for the engines, Vallejo Model air USAF light grey for the undersides, I also used for the first time Bare metal foil for the chrome bits on the engine.

The photos are not the best I'm afraid, since the photos have been taken I have added the serial number on the tail.

Next job is to tidy up the cabin windows, any way I hope you like,

I will be bringing it to Telford but will not be finished but hopefully a more advanced stage than what you see below

vanguardpainted_zps9920c705.jpg

vanguardpainted_1_zps4f18f83a.jpg

• Like 5

That looks absolutely stunning Kev, beautiful work!

Keith

Thanks Keith for your kind words

Superb job Kev and I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing this one at Telford.

Worth making the trip just to see this alone.

Chris.

Cheers Chris, hopefully I will have more done than shown in the photos

Looking great. Well done mate.

Thanks Sean much appreciated

Thanks Perdu for your comments,

I have been in contact with Brooklands as I was not sure about certain things especially what I believed was a inspection hatch just behind the front undercarriage, it is actually the Cabin pressure outflow vent and I have this in the wrong place anyway, so I might make up a decal and move it forward

this photo shows what I mean

CabinPressureOutflowVent1_zps2913c2b4.jp

• Like 1

A decal (Transfer in Olde Englishe) :) seems like a good way to deal with the vent Kev, fairly simple to draw in Photoshop or MS Paint too

I will ask the same question as t'others

Where can we see this beauty please?

b

• Like 2

Wow...that is magnificent

You have really capture the true character of the beast. Once ahe has her props on....

Sorry, I don't have smilies at the moment

Thanks again Gary, I have finished and painted the props so I will just glue them on with a dob of white PVA glue for now, so I can take them off later and fix them better when the model is complete.

That looks superb Kev, which table will she be on..? I don't want to miss it!

Hi Radleigh, I will be on the Thames Valley Scale Model table, I think it is opposite one of the Cafe's, mind you it wont be finished probably about 90% complete

Well done Kev,great piece of work!

Thanks Bzn20, get this done I can start on the 1/72 VC10

Just stunning Kev

Thanks Graeme

I hope you've got something to wipe off all the drool it will attract at Telford!

Amazing work.

Pete

Cheers Pete, not sure what attention it will get, hopefully positive.

A decal (Transfer in Olde Englishe) :) seems like a good way to deal with the vent Kev, fairly simple to draw in Photoshop or MS Paint too

I will ask the same question as t'others

Where can we see this beauty please?

b

Hi Perdu, as Radleigh has asked it will be on the Thames Valley Scale Model Club table

I have created the vent and came out OK, I use Adobe Illustrator much better drawing package for these type of things

• Like 1

Hi Perdu, as Radleigh has asked it will be on the Thames Valley Scale Model Club table

I have created the vent and came out OK, I use Adobe Illustrator much better drawing package for these type of things

I've just caught up on this Kev. Have to echo wot's been said already. Simply magnificent. It'll be mandatory for me to walk by the Thames valley table on Sunday morning now :)

• Like 1

The Vanguard was a stunning exhibit Kev

I pretty well liked most of the models on the table but the Vanguard was queen of the table

Took a walk past them a few times over the weekend, just 'cos you do

Lovely jubbly

• Like 1

Damn how the hell did I miss this at Telford and the updates ... Busy I guess.

Looks abaolutely fabulous, stunning results.

We're the tamiya paints aerosol or airbrush ?

I hope I seem it at other shows.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1