• 7 months later...

Its been a while since I put any updates regarding this build, but I have been busy and completed a fair amount, I had decided in the end not to have the cargo doors open and only have one passenger door open, basically just to cut the build time and I'm lazy, you may also notice that the oval windows I cut out have been removed, as I found when pouring the clear resin created air bubbles, and became quite frustrating, so in the end I cut these out completely and using a silicone strip taped this on the out side with double tape, and poured the clear resin in, it still needs polishing but I need to make sure there are no visible joins where the clear resin meets the plastic. I have already had the window shapes cut out on a sheet of Tamiya A5 masking sheet, these will be positioned correctly before the primer is applied

This shows the front undercarriage, which has now been glued into place

vanguardundercarriage_zps23c62bb3.jpg

I have also completed the wing and attached the engines, and scribed the panel lines which is the most boring thing ever in modelling

vanguardwing_zpscf583477.jpg

wing_zps9d80f8d4.jpg

wing_1_zps0a3cd7ba.jpg

I have also completed the vertical and horizontal tail section, I also found that the primer I used, when I started scribing began to peel off, so all the parts previously primed had to be stripped with fairy power spray

back_zps3171d630.jpg

I also was not happy how the original cockpit layout came out, and it did not fit very well either, so decided to do the whole compartment again, apart from the seats and front instrument panel and center consol, this photo shows how it looks prior to me fitting the cockpit roof, in the end you can't see much of it anyway

IMG_0718_zpsc28e0d83.jpg

IMG_0719_zps4d16f366.jpg

This photo shows front nose of the Vanguard with the AC scopes at the front

front_zps0d1af2ce.jpg

This shows where I cut out the window sections which is now filled with clear resin

wing_2_zps2af73984.jpg

This shows the size of the Vanguard, which is similar in size to a VC10, the body and wing is not attached as yet, still need to re-scribe some panel lines and tidy up the main fuselage before I mate the two together , still along way to go, hopefully fingers crossed may be finished by the end of the year

bodyandwing_zps85e07f6f.jpg

• Like 3

Wow that is a stunning piece of modelling, I've only just picked up on this thread but will be back for the next update!!!

Eng

• Like 1

Glad you brought us (ME) up to date with the Vanguard Kev, one of those iconic and really beautiful shapes

The windows in resin idea is brilliant, though like Chris I hadn't realised they had full width picture windows but Vickers always were innovative

And now for something completely different

The nose wheel bay

utterly staggering detailing for a model of this kind, I'm stunned by the detail in it

keep up keeping us up

b

• Like 1

Great to see progress on this one Kev - & some really good work going on again! I like your idea for the windows, they'll look superb when done!

keith

Thanks Keith, the clear resin for me is a learning curve

Wow that is a stunning piece of modelling, I've only just picked up on this thread but will be back for the next update!!!

Eng

Thanks, hope you like it

Very impressed by this Kev.

You have certainly been busy

Chris.

PS. I always thought the Vanguard had oval windows.

yes these are the new and improved windows and allowed the passengers a great view

Glad you brought us (ME) up to date with the Vanguard Kev, one of those iconic and really beautiful shapes

The windows in resin idea is brilliant, though like Chris I hadn't realised they had full width picture windows but Vickers always were innovative

And now for something completely different

The nose wheel bay

utterly staggering detailing for a model of this kind, I'm stunned by the detail in it

keep up keeping us up

b

Thanks

Looks great mate, great to see an update.

Glad you've mentioned re-scribing too, what was the tape you use again, I can't find the post you mentioned it in, 3M something? :)

Thanks Radleigh, the tape I use is 3M 471 blue tape, I find this better for curves than Dymo tape, I just lightly score with a compass needle in a small chuck a few times, its always best not to put much pressure when scribing, its finished of with my other scribing tool, these are the main tools I use for scribing, on flat surfaces I use one of those flexible rulers held in place with tamiya tape, I know every one has there own technique but I find this best for me, also its best to mark out in pencil all the scribe lines before you commit to scribing them at least that way you can see if any lines are wrong

DSC_0007_zpscdd9f3f8.jpg

• Like 2

Hi - wow - what a great model. I love the Vanguard and look forward to seeing this completed. My dad flew these as a first officer for BEA before getting command on Viscounts in the pre BOAC merger days of real old school aviation and flying.

That extra detail is splendid - 11/10 to you

• Like 1

Oh wow this is a fantastic build I am so happy I found this. Just been reading through it. Love the resin casting on the engines.

Such a beautiful plane. I was watching the Farnbourgh airshow dvd Golden Years (again ! always got it on love post war myself) and the chap commentating say's "as good as the Viscount but bigger"

Cheers Rob :) watching this :popcorn:

• Like 1

The Vanguard had mixed reviews, as passengers and crew complained that it was to noisy,compared to the Viscount as the aircraft was very over powered with its 4 Rolls Royce Tyne engines

Just look and hear, put the speaker on Max

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzLS35IzVc

Brooklands I don't think run the Vanguard engine anymore as spare parts are an issue

The Vanguard had mixed reviews, as passengers and crew complained that it was to noisy,compared to the Viscount as the aircraft was very over powered with its 4 Rolls Royce Tyne engines

Just look and hear, put the speaker on Max

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzLS35IzVc

Brooklands I don't think run the Vanguard engine anymore as spare parts are an issue

Sorry can you say that again. I didn't hear what you said... SOUNDS AWSOME !!!! ;)

• Like 1

I loved seeing Vanguards - always thought they looked 'right'. This is a great build. I'd like to build one but don't have the space to display it l did. One day......

Chris

• Like 1

It's great to see an update on this project - I was worried it had landed on the shelf of doom!

Excellent work - the window method is an inspiration!

Tom

• Like 1

This really is an interesting build, which I had not seen before so I've just read the whole thing. I was very interested to see what you had done with the propellor blades as I would have thought they would be too thin to cast? I have done quite a bit of casting using Sylmasta's stuff and either 1 or 2 part moulds so I would be interested to know how you did the blades. In addition I would be interested to know what clear cast resin you used for the windows? I have an idea that you can get something suitable from Hobbycraft but it would be very interesting to know what you used as I have a VC-10 to do one of these days

Many thanks

Simon

(I'm bookmarking this thread!!)

• Like 1

Hi - wow - what a great model. I love the Vanguard and look forward to seeing this completed. My dad flew these as a first officer for BEA before getting command on Viscounts in the pre BOAC merger days of real old school aviation and flying.

That extra detail is splendid - 11/10 to you

Lovely aircraft, I think its a shame they came about when the jet airliners took over

Oh wow this is a fantastic build I am so happy I found this. Just been reading through it. Love the resin casting on the engines.

Such a beautiful plane. I was watching the Farnbourgh airshow dvd Golden Years (again ! always got it on love post war myself) and the chap commentating say's "as good as the Viscount but bigger"

Cheers Rob :) watching this :popcorn:

Glad you like it Rob

Sorry can you say that again. I didn't hear what you said... SOUNDS AWSOME !!!

They are loud, which I could of seen them running

I loved seeing Vanguards - always thought they looked 'right'. This is a great build. I'd like to build one but don't have the space to display it l did. One day......

Chris

Thanks Chris

It's great to see an update on this project - I was worried it had landed on the shelf of doom!

Excellent work - the window method is an inspiration!

Tom

Hi Tom, Glad to see you and your dad at Milton Keynes, I thought it was about time I did an update on my build

This really is an interesting build, which I had not seen before so I've just read the whole thing. I was very interested to see what you had done with the propellor blades as I would have thought they would be too thin to cast? I have done quite a bit of casting using Sylmasta's stuff and either 1 or 2 part moulds so I would be interested to know how you did the blades. In addition I would be interested to know what clear cast resin you used for the windows? I have an idea that you can get something suitable from Hobbycraft but it would be very interesting to know what you used as I have a VC-10 to do one of these days

Many thanks

Simon

(I'm bookmarking this thread!!)

The props were a pain, as I took the Super Transell props and shaped these to size as they are smaller in length on the Vanguard, I took quite a few casts before I was happy, as you can see from the photos there were a number of pin holes which I had to fill with plastic rod

• 1 month later...

I had these windows cut from Tamiya masking sheet, at the time I did not have any way of cutting these out so using Adobe Illustrator created a simple oval shape to represent the window and copied this a number of times, then took the artwork to a local sign making shop where they cut the shapes out using their cutter plotter,

since then I have acquired myself a Silhouette Cameo cutter plotter for future use.

windowarrangement_3_zpsd9122e47.jpg

these were then applied to the surface of the model in the correct position, I used a simple template for the window spacing and height which was simply cutting Tamiya tape for the spacing, and repositioning this before the next window was stuck on, the process was repeated until all the windows were done.

windowarrangement_2_zpsbc9a07ef.jpg

windowarrangement_zpsd8897106.jpg

I have also completed the cabin windows, which was simply attaching Tamiya tape to the individual window openings, using a pencil or pen mark around the window frame, remove the tape and apply on some clear plastic and cut around the marked area, check and trim for fit, remove the tape and attach using crystal clear, finishing off with Johnson Klear applied around the edge to hold it in place, I then cut Tamiya tape again in small stripes, applied around the windows and filled in with Windsor and Newton masking fluid.

The photo also shows the re-enforcing strip half way up the fuselage, not sure if this was on all the Vanguards, as I had been told that they applied these to the Merchantman, but I have photos of BEA Vanguards that you can clearly see these.

Still need to add a few more details such as the gutters above the doors, then I can prime the fuselage, rub this down and check for anything that needs doing, then attach the body to the wings

Thanks for looking.

windowarrangement_1_zps2a5754b2.jpg

• Like 3

I have acquired myself a Silhouette Cameo cutter plotter for future use.

Bought one of these too - an excellent piece of kit, I am currently using mine to do basic etch brass.

Great work on the Vanguard, I have considered using the same method for the VC-10 windows. The first flight I have memory of was in a Vanguard, 4 1/2 hours to Malta and back. As I remember, it was noisy and I couldn't make my ears pop.

Just caught up with this build, it is quite simply amazing!

Martin

Thanks Martin

Staggering work and a thoroughly entertaining read.

Anthony.

Cheers Anthony

Really neat work on those windows Kev, they will look great when done! Enjoying this build & looking forward to more progress!

Keith

Thanks Keith, need to get this finished sooner rather than later

just discovered thi! wow I do like it a lot! must research this window cutting business

The Silhouette Cameo is ideal for these types of windows, although I have not tried it out yet

Bought one of these too - an excellent piece of kit, I am currently using mine to do basic etch brass.

Great work on the Vanguard, I have considered using the same method for the VC-10 windows. The first flight I have memory of was in a Vanguard, 4 1/2 hours to Malta and back. As I remember, it was noisy and I couldn't make my ears pop.

Yeap they sure are noisy, I am to young to remember these aircraft, but would of loved to see them start the one up at Brooklands

As a dedicated 'kit assembler', there seems to be some serious voodoo and black magic going on here - amazing work!

Steve.

Thanks Steve

Sheer bloody amazing modelling Kev

There's a can of chilled Stella raised here to this piece of magic

nice one mate, awfully nice

I do love the Vickers Airliners, you make this look so easy

"Oh dear that went wrong let's try this oh yes that's fine, what now?"

Simply awesome working out how to get the result

:thumbsup:

Edited by perdu

this is a fantastically interesting build - I saw the first part on the forum about a year ago and had forgotten about this build so it is nice to see it back in the spot light again.

My Dad flew BEA Vanguards for a few years when he had just left Hamble where he trained back in the early 60's, before taking his command on Viscounts. He has a nice framed painting of a Vanguard flying out from Malta by Anthony Rowland as a memory to these beautiful old ladies which sounded just as beautiful (for those that can remember them)

Keep up the great work - let me know if you ever consider selling the finished build as my Dad would treasure something like this.

John