Routemaster racing car transporter

Hi Guys,

on to the next project! This time, i'm going to try to convert the Routemaster into a race car transporter. These are the drawings i made:

RRB.jpg

RoutemasterLeftSmall.jpg

Chassis with engine:

RacingBus001.jpg

Added the base plate and altered the rear fender covers:

RacingBus_Bau013.jpg

I shortened the upper saloon as pictured above. First test fit:

RacingBus_Bau014.jpg

The other side:

RacingBus_Bau016.jpg

I hope you like it!

Stefan

• Like 1

This is by far the most unusual Routemaster conversion I have seen so far. Good luck she looks great in the Gulf colours.

Wow, thanks all for the feedback and the nice comments!

@ Steve: Yes, this is a "what-if"-build. It came to my mind when i thought of what to do with all the spare parts from the last conversions.

@ Nige: Lol, yes, i had that thought, too

@ pyro-maniac: No, i don't think so. But a nice little Mini Cooper will :yahoo:

Now for todays progress:

The no longer needed windows have been filled and the sidepanels were extended.

RacingBus_Bau026.jpg

Some gaps were closed and the entrance was added:

RacingBus_Bau035.jpg

Front view:

RacingBus_Bau027.jpg

Really fun to build!!

Stefan

• Like 1

Surely if they can splash out for a bus conversion, it would be hydraulic !!!!! A small reservoir tank, a pump and a couple of small rams to lift it !!!!!!!!!!

Will look good what ever you choose !!!!!!!!

Nige

Surely if they can splash out for a bus conversion, it would be hydraulic !!!!! A small reservoir tank, a pump and a couple of small rams to lift it !!!!!!!!!!

Will look good what ever you choose !!!!!!!!

Nige

I agree hydro!!!

Is there enough space and headroom to fit a sliding, four point, car jack rig fitted onto the ramp that would allow the car to be jacked up inside the bus for inspecting or working on the car indoors ??? There would be enough room for a mechanic to work under the ramp if needed, especially if the rig is extended out before tilting !!!!!!!

All you would need is the usual pop-up awning erected at the rear of the bus to give some shelter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking good already !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Colin

The hydraulic pump would pressurise the rams and lift the ramp up !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strong, industrial rollers built into the ramp sides might allow the ramp to be simply pushed by hand in and out of the rear of the bus as rolling resistance could be minimal with a properly balanced rig !!!!!!!!!!!!

There would only need to be some means of locking the ramp in place where required !!!!!!!!

When pushed out, the valves could simply be opened and the ramp lowered/tilted using simple gravity !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am no expert, but I presume that there would be no need for a flow and return pipe system into the ram housings as they are only acting to lift to the horizontal !!!!!!!!!!! Maybe the hydraulics folks could confirm !!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Edited by Okdoky