1/48 - Douglas A3D-2, KA-3B, TA-3B, E(K)(R)A-3B Skywarrior by Trumpeter - released - DMold nose set & Hypersonic canopy set

Homebee

Some test shots parts from the future Trumpeter 1/48th Douglas A3D-2 Skywarrior kit (ref 02868) were presented at the USA IPMS Nats 2012 at Orlando. Appear (too) briefly in this video between 3:36 & 3:39

Hope to see soon some pics of this kit that is supposed to be out in late 2012 or early 2013.

Source:

Source: http://scalemodels.ru/images/2011/12/1324713102_14.jpg'>http://scalemodels.r...24713102_14.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Since this is Britmodeller I'd say a new 1/48th Supermarine Attacker would be of more interest!

Wonder if this is piggybacking on the Spiteful/Seafang ?

[if this causes a 'eh?' the Attacker used the same wing and UC as the Spiteful]

cheers

T

Edited by Greg B
Removed repeated photos

Definitely get one of these, with so many variants and schemes should be rather fun to have a nice big, accurate whale in the collection.......oh hang on.........its Trumpeter...........oh well we'll have to wait and see...

I saw a picture of test shots on another forum. The good news is that the sprues shown include separate parts for the early bomber configuration nose and 20mm tail; that bodes well for a subsequent kit with the later blunt "speed" nose and DECM "dove" tail. The bad news is that the wing is the later CLE wing (different slats arrangement, cambered leading edge) that was only on the last few blocks of bombers and all the variants. (See http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/09/mighty-skywarrior.html.) Also odd is that the sprues contain a vertical fin with a pod on the tip that was only present on the first, small block of the bombers and the production Qs. The latter had notably different framing on the canopy (higher cockpit pressurization) and the slightly different fuselage, etc. of the variants. My concern is that Trumpeter hasn't been thorough in its research and therefore incorrectly mixed features of early and late airplanes and the bombers and variants. Since it's 1/48th, however, I'm a noncombatant.

Exactly my point tailspin, research on such an aircraft with so many variants will need to be pretty thorough ! Still we'll have to just wait and see what we get in the box with the final product....don't like the idea of having to buy several kits just to make one particular sub type accurately....hmmm

This is one that I am really looking forward to since laying down the Aerofax book with money from my paper round in 1987. I agree with the General's point on wait and see - particlularly in the canopy area - hopefully we will see loads of versions from this one.

Now if someone could just crack the immortal Scimitar I will be very happy!

Will

Now if someone could just crack the immortal Scimitar I will be very happy!

Will

Is this the last club night all over again?? :whistle:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would seem as though the box will contain a choice of fins and, possibly, nosecones. That makes me wonder why (i) there's only one decal option, and (ii) why that option is shown on the box art with a plain fin-tip yet has a pod on the tip in the decal guide. What ever is going on?

It would seem as though the box will contain a choice of fins and, possibly, nosecones. That makes me wonder why (i) there's only one decal option, and (ii) why that option is shown on the box art with a plain fin-tip yet has a pod on the tip in the decal guide. What ever is going on?

As far as I know, the fin-tip pod was only on the XA3D-1s, the first 12 A3D-1s (but not always), and the A3D-2Q. The decal guide is definitely incorrect.

As far as I know, the fin-tip pod was only on the XA3D-1s, the first 12 A3D-1s (but not always), and the A3D-2Q. The decal guide is definitely incorrect.

Hello there!!

I think Tailspin is right! I did the box art and the info they gave me were photos showing that particular aircraft with the plain tip!! I always contact my own search for more info, but i was unable to locate that airplane in that tail tip configuration!

Now, if Trumpeter Models have other images not shown to me, sorry and please try for more info to Trumpeter Models itself!!

All the data i used to paint it's box art were imamges of this Airplane, WITHTOUT THE ANTENNA ON TAIL FIN TIP!!!!!!!

• Like 1