The DeHavilland Sea Hornet NF21- Classic Airframes 1/48th model, with a few embellishments

s

I'm not disputing your findings David, just curious as to why. From an engineering point of view the different gearing on its own shouldn't make any difference to the length of the two engines

But just to confuse things, the prototypes RR915 and RR919 had equal length nacelles, even when the has opposite rotating props!

Right - while we try and work out whether the DH design team had been trying some herbal cigarettes when they cam up with the nacelle lengths... :)

....spinners are now reshaped - longer than the kit parts, but shorter than the Cyrano de Bergerac Mk1 mod versions. I couldn't resist a full taped mock up to see how the sit is etc.

file-19.jpg

file-20.jpg

I think am getting there - all this test fitting should enable a very quick fast assembly once the cockpits are sorted.

Cheers for all the comments

Jonners

• Like 1

..spinners are now reshaped - longer than the kit parts, but shorter than the Cyrano de Bergerac Mk1 mod versions. I couldn't resist a full taped mock up to see how the sit is etc.

file-20.jpg

Hi Jon,

The spinners look great . . . but they also, unfortunately, look too long from the refs I 've got.

Sorry,

Dave.

Hi Jon,

The spinners look great . . . but they also, unfortunately, look too long from the refs I 've got.

Sorry,

Dave.

Hi Dave - dont be sorry. Problem is - the kit spinners just look way too short, or perhaps stumpy would be a better description. Can I ask what refs you are looking at?

Jonners

Hi Dave - dont be sorry. Problem is - the kit spinners just look way too short, or perhaps stumpy would be a better description. Can I ask what refs you are looking at?

Jonners

Nothing special Jon. Just net pix and pix fom warbird. Not a lot, just a tad now.

1738585.jpg

Dave

Edited by Dave Gibson

Hi all,

Hopefully this should put this one to bed!

HornetSpinner.jpg

According to the drawing, the correct spinner appears to be 27.25" long.

The clarity on this isn't great, but it would be interesting to see how it compares to the kit once scaled to 1:48 which will be 14.4mm long.

Let me know,

David

Edited by David A Collins

Ok - well mine are currently 14.5mm - so long - but the kit ones must be about 12.5mm - so too LONG too - so why do they look too short? - profile perhaps?

I can see another round of cut & shut gong here! Its an elusive shape, and the kit ones dont look right, so Im guessing its the smoothness of the spinner curve thats the issue.

But Im too tired to work it out now - so I'll need to come back to you on this. Cheers David - good to have solid dims to work from

Jonners

:popcorn:

Nothing I like better than to watch someone else work out the answers the hard way! Especially when it is someone like Jon. One thing, though- I don't think it is the spinners that give it the Cyrano look...

(post-war Admiralty type): "Look here, we don't believe in sleek beautiful airplanes- those are for those sissies in the RAF. If you want it to go on a carrier you're going to have to ugly it up considerably."

bob

Jon,

I think I'm wrong. The spinner that David showed is 27.25" long, not 21.25. If you just count those 3 inch sections, you can see that it must be more than 21.25 inches. 27.25 inches converted to mm in 1/48 is 14.4 mm.

(27.25/48)x25.4 = 14.4.

So, it looks as though your best guesstimate is spot on.

Dave. :)

Jon,

I think I'm wrong. The spinner that David showed is 27.25" long, not 21.25. If you just count those 3 inch sections, you can see that it must be more than 21.25 inches. 27.25 inches converted to mm in 1/48 is 14.4 mm.

(27.25/48)x25.4 = 14.4.

So, it looks as though your best guesstimate is spot on.

Dave. :)

You are right on the 27.25". Some of these drawings aren't that clear!

I have a few CA Sea Hornets myself, and have noticed that there are some good detail resin parts within the kit, but does anyone know if other companies have made extra resin details?

The CA NF21 for example comes with the large flame damper type exhausts, and the basic round ejector port type, but many flew with a third type that had fish-tail shaped exhausts.

I have a few CA Sea Hornets myself, and have noticed that there are some good detail resin parts within the kit, but does anyone know if other companies have made extra resin details?

The CA NF21 for example comes with the large flame damper type exhausts, and the basic round ejector port type, but many flew with a third type that had fish-tail shaped exhausts.

Hi David - alas not that I know of. The fish tail exhausts are a slightly strange shape to - if memory serves ( angled down, and quite flared too?)

My thought would be to get hold of some Spitfire Fishtail exhausts and try angling the exhausts down, but I am mad.

Cheers

jonners

Hi again - pics of the cockpit detailing in progress. I felt the pilots armoured back rest was too short as supplied, so cut a new one from plastic sheet. The seat has been reshaped slightly to round it off on the backrest, and has had attachement pints added so it sits away from the armour plate as in the prototype.

The boarding ladder has been added in the stowed position behind this fromm brass tube and card.

In the observer's pit, some cabling and a glare shroud have livened up the radar a tad, plus the canvas screen which closes out the rear fuselage has been added from scrunched up decal paper with a card zip ( a bit of guess work there). The front bulkhead has been opened up as there's some kind of radio gear in there - so a shelf has been added, ready for this once its scratched. Below that you can see 2 boxes plus some more cabling.

The instrument panel has had its coaming added, but still needs a gunsight fitting where that disc is. I think I'll drill the instrument gauge holes out and add Mike Grant dials.

file-21.jpg

file-22.jpg

file-23.jpg

Cheers

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor
  • Like 1

Hi Jon,

These interior parts are looking good.

I haven't forgotten the images you requested showing the wing fold blisters. Will extracts from drawings be ok? I'll upload them this evening.

Hi David - yes drawings will be fine - many thanks.

Currently working on how to make an all black cockpit more interesting! Though at leas the seat will add life, and do you reckon I could get away with some of those natty bright blue seat belts that you occasionally see in post war types?

Cheers

Jonners

Hi David - yes drawings will be fine - many thanks.

Currently working on how to make an all black cockpit more interesting! Though at leas the seat will add life, and do you reckon I could get away with some of those natty bright blue seat belts that you occasionally see in post war types?

Cheers

Jonners

Hi Jon,

The seatbelts were all hessian coloured unfortunately.

You could paint the hydraulic reservoir tank located just behind the seat armour, and in front of the two ammo boxes aluminium, as these were'nt always black.

Some of my modeller friends use various dark greys in cockpits to add some contrast in otherwise all-black cockpits.

Here is a top-side view of the Sea Hornet outer wing showing the location and shape of the wing fold blisters. Ignore the chordwise "panel lines" as they are not surface detail, but only show the location of the internal webs bonded to the inside.

SeaHornetwingfoldblisterdetail.jpg

Edited by David A Collins

Morning all. Right - nearly there with the painting. Lots of blacks and dark greys used, plus different washes and lustres to pick out things. IP went Ok - but the dials are all wonky ( I wouldnt fly her in this state!), still it gives the effect OK.

Cheers

Jonners

Lovely work Jonners. You are inspiring me to give one of these a go now!

Thinking ahead to the canopy, I'll put some photo's together showing how these should be painted/shaped if this helps.