The DeHavilland Sea Hornet NF21- Classic Airframes 1/48th model, with a few embellishments

Painting has started - with a slight change of plan. I've managed to find some Aeromaster Warbird acrylic Sky in the paint stash ( thought I'd used it all up)

So its out with the soft flat brush for some hairy stick work. The Aeromaster paint always brushes really well, so with a gentle sand between coats, i should have the main colour on in the next day or so.

Final couple of coats will be mixed with Quick shine so i have a gloss finish too, ready for decals.

It was either this or wait for an airbrushing slot in the household calendar!!

Pics to follow

Cheers

Jonners

Looks nice and smooth, how many coats? I can't brush paint anything bigger than a seat or maybe a wheel so I admire those who can.

Cheers...

its about 5 coats - the first being straight paint, with successive layers being a mix of paint and Quick shine, gradually making the mix more Quick Shine than paint - so the last layer is a glaze, plus a wet rub down with some well worn 1000 grit sanding pads in between.

Believe me its still gots bits in it!! the photos flatter to deceive

Cheers

Jonners

And on with the top colour. I had to unmask the observers bubble as I had a bit of EDSG paint leak under the mask - so I want to clean it of before it really hardened on. Si it needs a re mask now.

file-37.jpg

Paint is Tamiya XF26 Dark grey with a bit of a medium blue added to lighten and blue it up a tad. Thinned with quick shine and applied in 4 thin coats.

Just doing some masking touch ups and then it will be varnish time.

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 1

Looking good, the quick shine makes brushing Tamiya easier as well as glossing it up I imagine?

Cheers...

Exactly - it brushes very well with the QS added, and although the finish isnt gloss, when you add a single coat of the QS over the top - it glosses up really well. ( with straight matt Tamiya paint the QS normally takes a couple of coats to absorb into the matt finish - so this way I kind of do that at the painting stage.)

Cheers

Jonners

Not much to report about the decalling - they all went on easily using the microscale system. There aren't that many, but it does bring the old girl to life. A bit of touching up needed in some areas from handling, but it will soon be time for a sealing coat of Quick shine and then some gentle weathering.

As you can see ...

file-39.jpg

file-40.jpg

and just a quick tease

file-38.jpg

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 2

OK - heres where I am - paint scheme has had an oil wash ( light grey on the sky, and a mix of light grey and brown of the EDSG- to giv eit all just a hint of "at sea" grime) and then its been flattened out a tad.

UC legs and wheels all added, exhaust flame dampers given a bit of "use" and a little bit of pastel has been brushed onto the EDSG to suggest a hint of fading. Its all very subtle as I want the model to look pretty clean and well maintained, with just a hint of lived-in!

Got a few details to sort out - arresting frame, UC bay doors, back seat Johnny's hatch etc, but its getting there....

Cheers for all the comments.

Jonners

file-41.jpg

file-42.jpg

file-43.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

By some miracle - this one seems to have got itself finished!! She has a date with the camera this afternoon - so watch out for pics in RFI later.

A big thanks to all those who commented, and in particular to David Collins "Mr Hornet".

Cheers

Jonners

You are more than welcome! It is a pleasure to see an excellent scale replica of an extinct type, made by someone with better modelling skills than mine :speak_cool: The Hornet has proved harder for modellers to "get right" over the years as much of the original published dimensional information from 1946 onwards containd errors, and without a surviving airframe to reference this has led to many gaffs over the years in kits. Most of the published books and artwork haven't helped either, as these perpetuate the original errors.

I look forward to seeing your model completed, as this sets a standard for future Sea Hornets.

Jonners, there are some very good models popping up on this site on a regular basis now, some really good ones and some great ones. This is in the latter, in fact bloody great!

• 1 year later...

I came across this site and thread while looking for a set of instructions for my own kit of this bird - and let me say...

AMAZING! It is inspiring to see such high quality work, and people willing to share such wonderful work, and knowledge.

So, I have begun my own, and thank you so much for sharing!

I came across this site and thread while looking for a set of instructions for my own kit of this bird - and let me say...

AMAZING! It is inspiring to see such high quality work, and people willing to share such wonderful work, and knowledge.

So, I have begun my own, and thank you so much for sharing!

Glad to be of use, and do check out the 1/32 build Gingerbob put a link to. That is PHENOMENAL.

cheers

jonners

• Like 1

Right, I know you are watching!! :)So here's the UC wells with a bit of paint. Oil tanks have had tape straps and sprue strap connectors added. Its a little bit of detail that will never be seen, but nice to know I've ticked the box.file-6.jpgAnd then I felt the UC legs needed a bit of added detail........so out came the plastic card, brass tube and some wire.file-8.jpgfile-7.jpgand a check to see it all fits.file-9.jpgA bit of paint, and we'll get those UC fitted and nacelles onto the wings.Who says you have to start with the cockpit!cheersJonners

Jonners,

I note that you added an angle between the top of the undercarriage structure and the leg; CA mould the part as straight. Do you have this angle and a reference for it?

Thanks

Peter