Hobbyboss 1:48 TA152C-0

Been itching to start this since picking one up during the 190 STGB, it looks like a nicely detailed kit and good price (picked mine up for £12 on Ebay)

This is going to be pretty much built out of the box, I did consider getting the Eduard zoom set but for some reason it is nearly the same price as the kit instead of the £4-5 quid they usually are.

I painted the panel and cockpit with Xtracrylics RLM66 and tried to lighten it a bit here and there. The kit supplies some decals for the panel and side console, I wasn’t keen on sticking the whole decal on so did some careful cutting out of the dials and there and have ended up with the result below

SAM_2479.jpg

The seat is fitted with the kit supplied etch belts, I had to cut down the 2 lap belt pads as these seem well oversize, not too bad now though, going to fit the shoulder belts later. Also fitted the etch rudder pedals…..then refitted them the right way up :doh:

SAM_2478.jpg

SAM_2483.jpg

Finally got the engine plug painted, first silver then after doing some research went back over in black (should have done the research first!!)

SAM_2481.jpg

Now to crack on with painting the insides and getting the fuselage stuck together, thanks for looking :)

Edited by stoohoo
  • Like 1

Cheers guys, got to admit i'm happy with how the IP turned out, feels like it was worth the eye strain :)

Kev - i cant finish it before yours i need the inspiriation ;) Really looking forward to seeing how you tackle the weathering, you got it spot on with that spit and from the pic you have posted looks like the bird your building now had a lot of wear and tear.

If memory serves good, I'm afraid it's quite incomplete - no engine bearing, badly engineered upper half of wingroot, rib protruding into wheelwell,

Perhaps might be better to close the wheelwell bottom.

Thanks for the heads up Severus, theres nothing in the way of internal wall detail either in the cockpit or engine bay either but for what i'm after i think the engine plug will do OK. Know what you mean about the odd gap between the upper wing root and the wheel well insert, i am going to try to extend the wheel well to close this up and hopefully get it looking a bit neater.

Anyway cheers all, hopefully back with an update soon

• 5 weeks later...

Cheers guys :)

Not had much to report on this one as good weather and holidays has meant the limited modelling time has been mostly spent on pushing the spitfire along.

Got a little bit to show though, replaced the cannon barrels with some brass micro tube, these have been left unglued so the cannon can be fitted and then insert the barrels at the last minute. Its a shame you cant see any of the cannon once fitted as they look quite nice now they have been painted in Alclad gunmetal...also got the canopy futured and then masked which is alsways a nice one to get out of the way :)

SAM_2543.jpg

Also taking into account comments in Kevs build during the 190STGB the prop and spinner have been replaced with eduard ones. Need to give a big thanks to Pete W for sorting me out with a spare eduard paddle prop, this has been mated to the original spinner backing disc and a spare cannon spinner from a D11/D13 combo i have. Pics below show the difference and prove its worth doing (eduard one is the tan coloured one at the top of the pic)

SAM_2799.jpg

Thanks for looking, Stu

• 1 month later...

Just to prove i havent given up on this one entirely, time for an update:

There is a big nasty gap between the wheel well and the inner wing root as shown in this pic:

SAM_2495-1.jpg

So i have extended the wheel wells with plasticard to close up to the wing root and then marked and cut the wing root down so they match up

SAM_2986.jpg

SAM_2984.jpg

After some filling and sanding we have this, not perfect but better than the yawning chasm that was there before

SAM_3177.jpg

And heres where it is now, got some paint on the bottom, theres a lot of chipping shown under the cowl on photos of the other prototype so had a go at this with a silver (games workshop mithril silver) undercoat and maskol, its not too bad but probably needed a more delicate touch

SAM_3184.jpg

And finally a couple of small details finished

SAM_3185.jpg

SAM_3186.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Cracking on with this beauty! Looking good. It was the best bit for me the painting. Loved getting the weathering on it. Is she going to be dirty too? All around the air intake and wing roots was fun. Dirt dirt and more dirt. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers Kev

Edited by foureyes

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Kev, having fun with painting this one, was going to chicken out and do factory fresh but given in to the temptation to have a bit of an experiment with heavy weathering....

Main camo colours are all on now, used Xtracrylics RLM 75 and 83 and painted as per hobbyboss instructions, not too sure of the RLM83 though as its quite dark.

Also started decalling, the decals are really nice and thin but i have managed to knacker the VH EY codes though :( I laid them on with microset (the blue bottle?) and they wrinkled before i could move them and ended up breaking up and creasing. More my lack of experience than a fault of the decals, not sure if i should have laid them on with water and then used set once in position...oh well you live and learn (hopefully..)

Was going to have a go at masking and spraying but fortunately a fellow modeller and all round top bloke has offered to print me some replacements so rescued again (honestly i seem to have a recurring theme with decal problems)

Anyway on with the pics:

SAM_3230.jpg

SAM_3231.jpg

SAM_3232.jpg

Cheers for looking, Stu

Looks lovely. And glad you decided to weather it hard. I know one of the solution (don't ask me which) make the decals soft to conform to the contours and that's the one to use once in place to soften it. They will disintegrate if left too long. Luckily mine are two differt brands one to set one to soften and can't mix em up. Thank the lord for the charity of others. Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Kev