Britmodeller has changed

Mike

So far so good afaiks, it took a while to work out that the blue stars at the thread headers did the same as the orange boxes used to in taking me to my last read post but can't find a hassle otherwise. I'm wondering if the deleted messages has something to do with what the sender has done at their end, some of mine are deleted but others not & I've found this on ARC, if the sender has deleted the message at their end you can't hit reply but must send a new PM if you need to communicate.

Steve.

So far so good afaiks, it took a while to work out that the blue stars at the thread headers did the same as the orange boxes used to in taking me to my last read post but can't find a hassle otherwise. I'm wondering if the deleted messages has something to do with what the sender has done at their end, some of mine are deleted but others not & I've found this on ARC, if the sender has deleted the message at their end you can't hit reply but must send a new PM if you need to communicate.

Steve.

Now I think you might be onto something there Steve... Pretty much all my PMs on the first few pages are showing as Deleted in a big red box. I think we all need to RTFM... Dunno where it is yet tho! :lol::blush:

Here you go (none of the 'deleted ones' are/were done so by me), the biggest impact is you cannot reply to them when you open them as the reply button isn't there:

Thanks - seems we're all in the same boat. My 860+ PMs are suffering the same malady. See Steve's post above though... It could be that, or just an anomally of the conversion. We had to recount & rebuild just about all of the database, as there were so many changes between the two new versions.

AND I wish there was an option to carry on driving the old fashioned flavour of BM :(

There is a 2.3.x version skin out there... I've tried it briefly, and although it puts the colours back to the same pale blues, it is only cosmetic, so probably not worth mucking about with. :shrug:

You probably already know this, but I came across it while looking at the Aircraft Review pages. Many of the photos were not showing up, and it looks like it's because these photos are hosted on the Britmodeller server (not on a third party server). The embedded address for the photos contains www whilst the new server is www2. Perhaps a quick search and replace is in order?

Cheers,

Bill

You probably already know this, but I came across it while looking at the Aircraft Review pages. Many of the photos were not showing up, and it looks like it's because these photos are hosted on the Britmodeller server (not on a third party server). The embedded address for the photos contains www whilst the new server is www2. Perhaps a quick search and replace is in order?

Thanks for the headsup Bill - we're working on that, and www2 part should revert back to www in due course (hopefully by tomorrow).

I'm not seeing the second line of the topic title - is that gone or still being worked on? It was a nice place to put an update. I recently edited one of my topics so the second title line read "Blatant mistake fixed" but it's not there anymore. It's a good way to give a quick update to those who are scanning the topic list.

Cheers,

Bill

I think I've worked out that the blue stars are to go to the last post on a thread I've posted in while the blue dots are to go to the last unread post of ny thread but what I haven't worked out is what happened to about 160 posts on my post count???? :angry::lol: oh, & I'm not too keen on the way the smileys display or their order, I can't find the ones I normally use where they used to be, any chance of rejigging that?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Looks nice and fresh, Congrats, Gents ... :thumbsup:

-Gregg

Cheers Gregg... now... about that MAHOOSIVE Signature :fight:

Jabba dabba doo

In a good way? :confused:

It was a bit of a shock at first - I actually liked the klunky old fashioned look of BM, but then I've been using this damn interweb thingy for more years than I care to remember (built my first web pages in 1995 on the company intranet!) that I've become used to things changing and you adapt and get used to new things.

Adverts? What are those (Firefox+AdBlocker+Ghostery = no ads and no behavioural tracking cookies - woot!)

It all seems okay to me.....dunno what the fuss is about! However I can't access the site via www.britmodeller.com BUT can on www2.britmodeller.com ! Is there a reason for that, or is my computer playing silly buggers?

EDIT: Its okay I've seen NavyBird's/Bills message and Mikes answer above......

Edited by Bill Clark

It's a bit of a weird transition period while all the Domain Name Servers (DNS) play catch-up to the new address of the site. Our hosts have deployed the new details, they just need to propagate round the WWW. Rebooting your computer can sometimes cure that if you logged into it first thing in the morning for example, and the changes happened during the day. :)

ive tried to change my signature pic, i have deleted my old one but it wont let me post a new one, it keeps stating its too big and needs to be less then 400 x 150, it was it was 300 x100? maybe another bug to be fixed

Well I hate it. :)

Don't get me wrong, as a software developer myself I am fully aware of the need to upgrade stuff, but I really dislike the 3.X look (you're not the only board to upgrade) since the layout and look is so... fluffy and inefficient. The old one was dense and compact and that's exactly what I like. Looking at this one I just see space everywhere (even more space around the text on buttons!). Now, you mentioned something about a 2.3 skin? Is that something I can do myself?

On a feature side, one thing I've noticed on other boards that has converted is that the "find new posts" functionality has been more strict about what it considers as new. Example: I don't check the board for a day and when I do, I have about eight pages worth of new stuff. On 2.X I can use the same list throughout the day, navigate in it, check a thread and use the back button and be returned to the same list. This is very handy because I usually catch up during five-minutes break at work throughout the day. On 3.X boards however, I've noticed that the "new posts" list has a REALLY short lifetime. I bring out the eight page list, I check a thread and then do actual work for an hour. When I then try to back to that list again, it usually says something about page expired and I have to refresh the list, giving me ONLY the last hour worth of posts. The old behaviour was "all eight pages, but with the last hours post marked with the orange blob". The 3.X design makes me miss stuff.

What this lengthy explanation boils down to is - is this something you can change with a setting? I don't know if this will be a problem here yet, I'm just letting you know about stuff that has changed on other upgraded boards.