Britmodeller has changed

Mike

Well - it had to happen sometime, and today was the day. Britmodeller, now in its 6th year of existence has been running on the same server since it began, and to be honest, we've been taking advantage of our hosts by hammering the bejeesuz out of it with our 9,500+ membership and high graphical content.

We've migrated the site to a new more powerful server that is dedicated solely to Britmodeller, which should keep us going for a while now. We've also taken the opportunity to upgrade the forums from the old tired version 2.x.x of Invision Power Board to the new 3.x.x, which has loads of new features, a new look and some really fancy and helpful tools.

The new server and upgrade have been in the planning for a long time now, and I've been working towards this quite complex operation in earnest for around three months. There were a lot of ducks that needed to be lined up before we could move, and it's involved a lot of back and forth between hosts, Invision and myself. I'd like to say a public thank you to our hosts, Especially the boss John, who is a friend of mine from way back. He has worked very hard this last few days on our behalf. In fact if it wasn't for him, we'd still be floundering around wondering what to do :wacko:

So... enjoy the new forums, take your time to find your way around, and if you can't find something or make something work, post up a topic in the Help & Support forum, and we'll do our best to help out. We're learning too, but we've been messing about for about a week on a test version of the new software already, so should hopefully be ahead of you guys with knowing how to accomplish things.

The FAQ section will need some re-working because of the changes in new version, so please bear with us while we have time to update it with new methods & pics of all the topics in there. Should be fun! :lol:

If anyone is having trouble seeing the new server, tell then not to worry unduly. The changes we've made will propogate around the various DNS servers of the world, and eventually the whole thing will work again for everyone. We're putting a temporary fix in to enable more people to see the server in the meantime by bouncing it off the old one, but it should be 24 hours tops before the DNS is updated and everyone's singing from the same hymn sheet :)

• Like 3

Hey, wasn't me, it was the developers at Invision... Personally I like it, but we might put a new colour scheme on it at some point to separate it from other forums & make it a bit more individual. I took the opportunity to update the logo a bit too, and might update it a bit further when I have the time ;)

Hey Mike, I have no problems with it... as you alluded to it is a format already used by other forumns, I was thinking more of the more conservative members.

I say give is a week and navigating the forum will be second nature.

Hey, wasn't me, it was the developers at Invision... Personally I like it, but we might put a new colour scheme on it at some point to separate it from other forums & make it a bit more individual. I took the opportunity to update the logo a bit too, and might update it a bit further when I have the time ;)

Well done to the developers, and the logo looks superb.

Personally I like the colours the way they are but a don't think a new colour will hurt haha :)

Looking good. From the quick shufty I've had it seems very user friendly. Well done Mike and thanks to John for all the work you've done.

Looks great. Just one thing...when individual threads are replied to, will they no longer appear in the 'new content' forum as per the old site? Or will they be in their individual forums?

Hey Mike, I have no problems with it... as you alluded to it is a format already used by other forumns, I was thinking more of the more conservative members.

I say give is a week and navigating the forum will be second nature.

Yeah, it's like all things. Some people are more resistant to change than others. I have to admit I was a little lost at times to begin with, but it's growing on me quickly. I like the more WYSIWYG editor, and the integration with Facebook and all that will come in handy too. Looks like I need to fix my Avatar too, as it seems to have pulled up my profile pic... the text says "Grammar Nazi" in case you were wondering! :lol:

Looks great. Just one thing...when individual threads are replied to, will they no longer appear in the 'new content' forum as per the old site? Or will they be in their individual forums?

The View New Posts "thing" was just a list culled from all the forums. The New Content will take you to what is effectively that list. All they've done is given it a new name & made it easier to find :)

Wow! What a surprise. This is really bright and fresh - great stuff!

Nick

(And still devoid of pesky ads!!)

:bling: We're trying to keep the ads at bay, but can't say categorically one way or the other whether that will be possible long term :shrug:

Also.....

Most of my pms are marked as deleted and i cant reply to them, they werent deleted be me ( no rush just a heads up)

Hmmm... reckon you could get me a screen shot of that? I've not looked at my PMs yet, but I can tell you that you can have a 6-way conversation with other members now, and it'll play out just like a thread. Now when someone tells you to "get a room!", you really can! :lol:

Working on the Ranking Pips at the moment (just under your avatar). For some reason they're not showing up, even though I've put them in the right places. :hmmm:

Working on the Ranking Pips at the moment (just under your avatar). For some reason they're not showing up, even though I've put them in the right places. :hmmm:

We've all been demoted!!

Don't mind me just expermineting with the new toys:frantic:

Trevor

Hmm

I know these things happen

I know they do

But this doesn't work as nicely on my old steamage 'pooter driving my screen res that my elderly eyes can keep up with

But I suppose I will get used to it

AND I wish there was an option to carry on driving the old fashioned flavour of BM

:(

Hmmm... reckon you could get me a screen shot of that? I've not looked at my PMs yet, but I can tell you that you can have a 6-way conversation with other members now, and it'll play out just like a thread. Now when someone tells you to "get a room!", you really can! :lol:

Here you go (none of the 'deleted ones' are/were done so by me), the biggest impact is you cannot reply to them when you open them as the reply button isn't there:

Screen%2520Shot%25202012-08-07%2520at%252022.27.23.png