Three builds for this GB? Is he mad?!?!?! :lol:

This one will be a QF-104A. If you thought the Spanish one will be colourful, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Linky as I don't want to hijack the photo.

F-104A 55-2957 was the third YF-104A built. After release to service, it was redesignated as a JF-104A, due to the test equipment it carried. It entered service with the 83FIS at Hamilton AFB. On 7 March 1958, Major Howard Johnson flew this aircraft to a record breaking height for an air-breathing aircraft of 91243 feet. Seventeen miles! Although it still carried test equipment, it was not modified in any manner for the record attempt.

In 1961 the aircraft was modified to JQF-104A standard as the drone programme test aircraft and was issued to the 3205th Drone Squadron at Eglin AFB. It was the first F-104 to be flown remotely, although in the early tests the aircraft was always flown manned in case there was a problem with the control system. In 1965 all test equipment was removed and 55-2957 became an ordinary drone.

On 8 August 1967, on its fourth flight as a standard drone, 55-2957 was shot down by a Sparrow missile fired from an F-4D.

The model will represent the aircraft as a JQF-104A.

This is the Italeri (ex-Esci) kit, using a Carpena decal sheet and an Aires Lockheed C2 resin seat.

There used to be an F-104C version of this kit, but the part of the mould which held the rear fuselage and shorter tail seems to have been modified to provide an Orpheus recce pod and Martin Baker seat. So, I shall have to cut down the fin from the G model standard. Not exactly a difficult task!

Q001.jpg

This is what you get in the box.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

This is a close-up of the seat.

Q002.jpg

Here we go again. Hold on tight, rider! :D

Very nice scheme Enzo. I have the 1/48 Carpena (or Colorado decals aas i think they are called now?) and fancy doing this scheme on the 1/48 Hasegawa F-104C...just got to wait for the kit as I am doing a trade at the Sutton model show in a months time!!

I'll be interested on how you are going to match and paint that orange body.

cheers Robbo

Another very interesting subject ! Looking forward to your trio of Starfighters !

There were 2 boxes with the shorter tail: the original Esci F-104C and the more recent Italeri F-104A box. It's not that hard to modify the tail, but it might also be worth hunting around for one of these two boxes if anyone is interested in the same subject.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any progress with this ? I'm loking forward to see such a colourful missile !

There has been progress on all my F-104 builds. I just haven't been updating threads. :banghead: Photos soon, I promise!

Edited by Enzo Matrix

• 1 month later...

I know that I seem to have been neglecting these builds, but that have been bumbling along quite happily in the background. I just haven't taken too many photos. :banghead:

So here's a bit of a catch-up.

The cockpit was detailed slightly. This was done by building the cockpit sills from dymo tape.

004_zps35ed8a45.jpg

The cockpit was then sprayed Dark Gull Grey and the instrument panel decals added.

006_zps5a117d67.jpg

008_zps29bdca59.jpg

The tail was modified to A-model standard. Not exactly the most taxing of modifications. :D

Q003_zps108df82e.jpg

Primed with Alclad2 grey primer. The rear fuselage was sprayed with various shades of Alclad2. The upper wings are sprayed with Alclad2 white primer. Lower wings are Xtracrylix XA1138 FS16473 ADC Grey. The nose is Xtracrylix XA1140 FS16622 Light Grey.

Q004_zps01000324.jpg

Q006_zpsfca53bb1.jpg

A quick glimpse of how it should look when all is glued together!

Bright, isn't it? :D

Q007_zps5fad9080.jpg

Q008_zps33b0bb07.jpg

Sticker time! :D

Q009_zps879febdc.jpg

As with my concurrent Spanish Starfighter, I used decals from a Carpena sheet. They simply will not conform to any surface which is curved, so the national insignia on the intakes comes from a thirty-year-old Microscale general sheet.

Wow, and I thought my Ferrari one was bright!!

Nice build. Tameo sell some exta strong decal softener that is lethal stuff, ask Paul at Little Cars, he may still have some, but be warned its not for the feint hearted.

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking job, looks the biz. Such a shame the real things got blown away!

Indeed! Even more of a shame that this particular aircraft was blown away, as it was quite historically significant.

Thanks for the props. I now have an urge to build more drones with huge areas of orange! I shall be building a Hellcat drone for the Splendid Cats GB. I also have plans for a US Army QF-86F.

Now that is really pretty. Really pleasing on the eye with lots of little details in the finish to keep you engaged - love it and your productivity is amazing.

Nice one mate!

cheers

Rick

BTW - you mention difficulty with the decals not conforming - have you tried the hair-drier technique.If you haven't, it's truly amazing!

Edited by Spad
  • Like 1