RNoAF F-104G 331Skv

By the by, I understand the original lockheed ejection seat ejected downwards; I'm not sure how on earth this worked; did the seat literally emerge from the bottom of the forward fuselage?

Yes, the original Lockheed seat had a cutter on the bottom and there was a deliberately weak piece of sheet metal directly underneath (The B-47's Navigator had a similar setup). As far as I understand, this panel was never changed even after they changed to the upwards ejecting seat which is why the F-104 cockpit does not have a floor. The original seat ejected downwards due to fears that an upward ejection would not clear the T-tail. This led to all sorts of difficulties whenever ejection became necessary at low altitudes so Lockheed designed a seat that would definitely clear the tail and Starfighter pilots the world over rejoiced.

Edited by Jessica

• 1 month later...

evening all,

well haven't posted for a while because work DSCN0058.jpghas been hellishly busy. Anyway some cockpit shots all OOB, apart from tape seatbelts. unfortunately, my new camera has gone down the tubesx, and I've lost the next few shots of showing the painting of the fuselage. this finished now;pics to follow via mobile camera...

DSCN0058.jpgDSCN0060.jpg