RNoAF F-104G 331Skv

Evening all,

Well, have been looking forward to this group build for a while - only ever built one starfighter, the airfix one specifically, nearly 25 years ago. I've got a 1/48 Hasegawa F-104g, Vingtor decals and a mastermetal pitot, and unearthed it all ready to photograph... only to notice the smashed main canopy :angrysoapbox.sml: I've tried Amerang and no luck, so two choices;

1. bite the bullet and buy a two seat 1/48 Hasegawa starfighter(the only one available at a semi-reasonable price, especially given Hasegawa 's bizarre pricing recently)

2. see if any of the participants on this GB had a spare from a wrecked kit or similar! :tumble:

Anyway, thought it was worth a shot. If, as expected, nobody does have a spare, I guess I'll be joining you in a week after a quick order to the big H...

Best regards, Paul

Edited by PaulR

Well, wouldn't you know it. got my two seater starfighter today, and along with the two seater canopy sprue there was a complete set for the single seater as well! Back to the single seater plan...

• Like 2

Well, wouldn't you know it. got my two seater starfighter today, and along with the two seater canopy sprue there was a complete set for the single seater as well! Back to the single seater plan...

Just build two! :lol:

You know you want to... :wicked:

• Like 1

Glad someone is having some luck with unlucky 104 kits! I'm still hoping for a lead to locate sprue C that is missing from my kit of the TF-104 in 1/72!

Well, I thought it high time I actually got some pics up. Firstly the obligatory unstarted kit shot, with the Master metal pitot, Vingtor decals (thanks Jens for the contact on this!) and Eduard canopy masks.The second picture is progress to date, namely the wings and tail plane all painted - Xtracrylix for the tail plane (gunship grey) and wing undersides (ADC grey) and Tamiya white for the wing tops. I've since added a very light oil wash to these, and have glossed them prior to adding the Norwegian roundels. More later!

P8100159.jpg

P8170173.jpg

Now, that's something I forgot to ask . . . I'd like if possible to build this armed with underbelly sidewinder rails. The boxing I have seems to have the rails, but not (looking at photos) the attachments to the fuselage either. I am also not convinced they are the right sort for a Norwegian airframe. Could anyone advise on this? Are the rails for another boxing that also contains the attachment lugs, and where could one get the correct rails for an RNoAF airframe if indeed they aren't the right sort? Calling Jens!

Regards, Paul

I'm looking forwatd to see this build.

There were two types of underbelly Sidewinder rails for the F-104. I'm nut sure which type is included in the kit, as it is long time since I have seen the box content.

Nils

Having now checked, the Hasegawa kit has the wrong rails (U7 & U8) for Norwegian Starfighters.

Nils

Hallo Nils , thanks for the comment.Do you happen to know if there is a source for the Norwegian type rail?

The Norwegian catamaran launchers are faily easy to modify from the kit launchers. Here's a CF-104 I did in 1:72 from the Hasegawa kit.

72_CF-104_00302-800.JPG

Look at the white strip of plastic above and behind the launch rail. The attachment to the fuselage is the same though.

Jens

The Norwegian catamaran launchers are faily easy to modify from the kit launchers. Here's a CF-104 I did in 1:72 from the Hasegawa kit.

72_CF-104_00302-800.JPG

Look at the white strip of plastic above and behind the launch rail. The attachment to the fuselage is the same though.

Jens

Cheers for this Jens - I think I could have a bash at this. However, when you say the attachment to the fuselage is the same, what do you mean by that? Is there some attachment lugs you need to make, as I can't see anything that looks like that it in the kit? Or does the white strip you've added butt straight onto the fuselage? As ever, any help much appreciated! Paul

I think he referrs to the brace between the two rails. The illustrations on the DACO page should give you the information you need to convert the Japanese rails to the NATO type.

F104B13.jpg

F104B15.jpg

Nils

Yes, the brace between the two launchers are the same as far as I can see - just the launcher themselves being different. Don't forget to check the location and length of the launchers for clearances to the main gear wells.

Jens

Now this is what a GB is all about, building a kit and getting knowledge from people when it matters.

Keep the build and facts coming guys. :goodjob:

Deacon

Evening all,

thought I had better get a qick update in. Thanks for all the info on the missile rails-might have to have a bit of a think about that one. Anyway, have moved forward with the following items ...

. wings and tanks painted and decalled. The fit of the parts is such that these can safely be added later, which ma makes assembling and painting the fuselage that much easier.

. the canopies have been futured and masked. Thank god for Eduard masks- the single biggest step forward with my modelling since I started using an airbrush...

. under carriage all done- I hate this part...

. undercarriage doors primed and painted. I don't run to Alclad, so I use Tamiya metallic paints, which I then buff to a fab shine when dry. Works for me!

. I've also started the cockpit tub- black consoles sprayec with Tamiya Nato black for scale effect, and masked off for the neutral grey for the rest of the tub.

Sorry about the pics - am still workijng out how to use my new camera ...

More later!

DSCN0029.jpg

Edited by PaulR

Evening all,

am progressing to the cockpit area, and was wondering if anyone could advise the colour of the rear of the cockpit, underneath the rear third of the canopy, if you follow me. Hasegawa has it as black, Vingtor as green, and the inspirational builds seem to have a variety. I am assuming that Vingtor is correct, but would appreciate any input before I muck it up . . .

Cheers, Paul

Evening all,

just a quick update. I have sprayed the exhaust and afterburner tube with a mix of tamiya black and silver, and the inside of the intake nato black for the de-icing equipment. I have also finished the basic cockpit, drybrushing all the details with a grey. It probably doesn't show up but I'm pleased with the subtle effect. Next step is the get the fuselage buttoned up, and finish the instrument panel and ejector seat. By the by, I understand the original lockheed ejection seat ejected downwards; I'm not sure how on earth this worked; did the seat literally emerge from the bottom of the forward fuselage?

Until later, DSCN0041.jpgDSCN0042.jpgDSCN0043.jpg