1:32 Scale RAF Trolley Accumulator kit * Shipping Now *

grahamf

Hi all, I thought I would show a preview of our forthcoming 1:32 scale RAF Trolley Acc kit which will be available in the next few days, The master parts have all been CNC machined and the kit parts are cast in resin.

The electric cable In the pictures I know is too short, it was so that the trolley didn't get buried in it for the images, the correct length will be supplied with the kit.

Keep an eye on our website www.iconicair.com for the order details to be released in the kits page.

The cost will be about 18.50 GDP plus postage.

Regards

Graham.

RAFTrolleyAcckitboxview6byIconicair.jpg

RAFTrolleyAcckitrearfront8byIconicair.jpg

RAFTrolleyAcckitrearview7byIconicair.jpg

32ndscaleRAFTrolleyAccKitComponentsbyIconicair.jpg

Edited by grahamf
  • Like 1

Very nice little kit, only two points. The wheels are the post-war pattern, plain pressed steel would be right for a wartime version.

After 1941 most of these small trolley accumulators were fitted with a petrol-driven BSA or Villiers engine to drive a generator that topped up the batteries, later aircraft had a much higher requirement for electrical power at start up. As far as I can tell lots of these upgrades were done by the unit and vary in design and mounting a great deal.

EDIT: here are some pictures if it helps.

large.jpg

via IWM

post-901-1226489005.jpg

312%20Image25%20lge.jpg

found via a Google search, the detail is hard to see in the last one but it shows another variation in the generator motor, I think they were known as a 'chore horse'.

Edited by therollercoaster

Hi all, I thought I would show a preview of our forthcoming 1:32 scale RAF Trolley Acc kit which will be available in the next few days, The master parts have all been CNC machined and the kit parts are cast in resin.

The electric cable In the pictures I know is too short, it was so that the trolley didn't get buried in it for the images, the correct length will be supplied with the kit.

Keep an eye on our website www.iconicair.com for the order details to be released in the kits page.

The cost will be about 18.50 GDP plus postage.

Regards

Graham.

RAFTrolleyAcckitboxview6byIconicair.jpg

RAFTrolleyAcckitrearfront8byIconicair.jpg

RAFTrolleyAcckitrearview7byIconicair.jpg

32ndscaleRAFTrolleyAccKitComponentsbyIconicair.jpg

B****r, just as I was going to scratchbuild one to go with a Spitfire!!!!!

Seriously though, this is perfect timing. I am building the Hobbyboss model of "Buck" Casson's 616 Squadron aircraft (Don't Laugh!), but would love to display it with a Trolly Acc fitted.

I will definitely be ordering one of these beauties.

I was fortunate to find one of these on eBay a while back:

DSCF4946_001.JPG

but I haven't built it yet as I was thinking of trying to do some castings since so many people want one of these trolleys however I'm not particularly au fait with resin casting. One of these days I'll get it sorted out...

• Like 1

Hi Graham;

Lovely looking release there and a great diorama addition! It's funny that it has been pointed out that the wheels are for a post war pattern trolley acc. The 1937 Standard Flying 9 that I owned a few years ago had exactly the same wheels! :winkgrin:

Regards;

Steve

Hi Graham;

Lovely looking release there and a great diorama addition! It's funny that it has been pointed out that the wheels are for a post war pattern trolley acc. The 1937 Standard Flying 9 that I owned a few years ago had exactly the same wheels! :winkgrin:

Regards;

Steve

Hi Steve, I did this one because I thought it more attractive and interesting and would have a wider range of aircraft to go with.

Also there was a lot more of them in museums! [ usually coupled to an early spitfire or Hurricane!]

Those wheels were a challenge on the CNC I had to use a 1mm ball nose cutter.

Since this is 1:32 scale, its shouldn't be too difficult to scratch build dish-type wheel hubs, heading over to order one now :)

Yes, there are plenty of pictures around for guidance.

The reason most museum exhibits of these trolleys have the spoked-pattern wheel is that many of them are examples which were re-fitted post-war with new wheels, there are a very few around that are still in 'original' condition.

I think John Adams of Aeroclub once posted a picture of a preserved wartime trolley in one of the vehicle preservation forums I lurk on, I can't remember which one though, perhaps if he sees this thread he might post it again. As I recall its one thats at Newark.

And in 1/32nd adding a 'chore horse' engine shouldn't be difficult, I expect a spare engine cylinder from a kit radial engine and some scratchbuilding would do the job, as I said there was a lot of variation in the way the motors were fitted.

Edited by therollercoaster