Toyota 86 -tamiya

RFT

I've been keenly following the (long) gestation of toyota's new small sports car for some time and back in June I was lucky enough to win the chance to drive one up the hill at the goodwood festival of speed.

Seeing as my only hope of owning one in the next few years is as a model, I thought it would be cool to build a model of the specific car I drove- this one:

7629799482_a2840f7c5f_z.jpg

The Goodwood Festival of Speed 2012 by Toyota UK, on Flickr

Tamiya's kit isn't out in the uk just yet so I grabbed one from eBay.

7710131838_8e5638c139_z.jpg

It looks like a good kit, but the part breakdown looks a little awkward. The engine block and inner wheelarches are moulded in one part. And I'm nervous about painting the wheels, as theyve got some spindly detail.

But anyway, They plan is to somehow sort out the right UK-style plates, and get as close as I can to the car I drove.

looking at sites, the RRP seems to be £45. should be out in a couple of weeks. mine was 29.99 inc shipping.

Aoshima are also doing one, and the Subaru version, which, based on the parts breakdown, Tamiya are planning to do as well. the only exteror changes are the front bumper and small trim parts, and they're all seperated onto two small sprues - one white, one chromed.

Edited by RFT

But anyway, They plan is to somehow sort out the right UK-style plates, and get as close as I can to the car I drove.

Numberplates were discussed on the forum a few days back, this is another route you could take, the discussion was for 1/12 bikes but works for cars also.

http://www2.britmode...topic=234923349

regards ian

thing is, I don;t need something that looks like a legit UK plate. I need a UK-sized and shaped plate, but the actual "GT86" lettering on it is toyota's own font.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates...

I've spent the bulk of the last two weeks modelling time, and more than a can of tamiya TS-45, getting the pearl white coat on the car. the paint's so thin that it's taken over 20 coats to cover the grey primer.

going back, I realise I should have painted over the primer with white, then the pearl over the top of that, but it didn;t occur to me at the time that a paint could cover so poorly..

Pearl is, more or less, translucent paint (kinda like candy) with built in sparkles. It's cool stuff if you're trying to do "ghost" stripes but it's a complete PITA if you ever have to do a respray. Getting the overlap, pressure and number of coats right....*sigh* I was a panel beater in a previous life and having to repaint dang near the entire side of a car to fix a scratch in the door was one of the joys I don't miss.

At any rate, the kit looks good and you should be past the worst of it now.

Sherpa

Congratulations mate - hope you enjoyed the drive.

I'm fortunate enough to work for Toyota and have had the opportunity to drive GT86 on the road and track. It's a real driver's car!

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to watching this!

• 1 month later...

RFT - I have just got this kit to after recently buying the real thing!

I have a good tip for you regarding the wheel painting:

Use a reverse process, - Spray the whole wheel semi-gloss black (with a tiny spot of silver in to be totally accurate) then simply rub it off the spokes required with a cotton bud slightly damp with thinners / solvent to expose the metalised finish! BINGO!

The Subaru BRZ version is now here: (£45).

http://www.modelzone...-brz-24324.html

Below is my full - size GT86:

P1010006.jpg

Edited by jedimaster65