Ork Bommer

Hi folks,

This is Games Workshop's "Ork Bommer" kit. The Orks are large green space hooligans who speak in a sort of Nigel Molesworth patois. I like the Scrapheap Challenge designs of their equipment and vehicles and this particular one was irresistable. I've added the undercarriage myself since the vanilla kit came with a rather weedy belly skid and I thought some wheels would add to the early MiG vibe.

"So wivvout further a-doo, 'ere are da piktures:"

7729171758_61d06a7b8b_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga)

7701391984_f2a691e8a6_c.jpg

7729174456_1451878e50_c.jpg

7701393522_a5922c3a34_c.jpg

For those not au fait with the GW 40K universe, this is in the blue/white/red colours of the "Death Skulls" Ork clan, who are prone to nicking bits off other Orks. That's where the yellow aileron and some other bits come from. It's also a nice way to add a bit of colour.

"Oi! We din't steal dem, we *borrowed* dem. Dey woz hardly using dem bitz at all!"

7701394232_5d5531f87f_c.jpg

7701395354_26c7d10669_c.jpg

Part of the fun of doing this kind of thing is getting to paint some minis - I'm no expert but I like to have a play from time to time:

7701397844_43cc4e96dc_c.jpg

And of course because it's silly sci-fi madness you can have things like "da tailpipe"

7729175772_44522c3940_c.jpg

...which definitely has something in common with the MiG or Ouragan Cold War jet design, and "da uvver tailpipe"...

7729177268_4109680829_c.jpg

...which doesn't. I'm so sorry :frantic:

"Hurr hurr hurr. It iz aktually ded prakticul becoz wen you iz up dere in da sky and you haz to go, den you haz to go somewhere!"

This was supposed to be a quickie project but it ended up taking quite a while. I think it's the style of painting I opted to try, which was all sponges and brushes after the aerosol primer. Lots of fun to do though, so I'm glad I spent the time on it.

Thanks particularly to everyone who chipped in on the WIP thread, there were lots of useful hints and tips I got from it.

Cheers,

Will

[edited to fix broken images]

Edited by Will Vale
  • Like 1

Excellent Will, it turned out really nice ('nice' is probably the wrong word to use though. "Nice an' Orky!"). I'll admit that I was a bit worried that you might end up making the weathering look too busy, but it looks like my fears were unfounded.

(If only Maelstrom shipped to NZ. A Bommer would be approx $53 delivered instead of $90 from GW in NZ :-/ )

Chris

Edited by cheeley

Thanks Chris, the price of GW stuff is definitely off-putting here. If I could get the bommer for the Maelstrom price I'd probably go with my plan A which was a two-bommer Zwilling :) I'm sure one of the US web stores will ship here but I forget which one it was. The problem there is you then have expensive USPS costs to pay instead of the GW costs.

I think your worry about the weathering was well-founded, I found that a couple of things I did last week ended up feeling worse rather than better (since fixed) so I thought it was probably time to call a halt to the process...

Will

Great to see this one finished - it was a brilliant WiP thread to follow with lots of great photos. You've done a stunning job - ever thought about doing a Stompa?!

Thanks guys!

I was very tempted to do a Red Wun, I'm not sure what finally swayed me - possibly that blue/rust are nearly complementary to I thought it might look nicer. I suspect the FW Meka-Dred in blue and white was partly responsible as well...

I've definitely got a bit of the bug now, I've just put a few multi-part peasants together for a small Reikwald diorama...

Cheers,

Will