Mosquito PR.XVI

As my B-17 is turning into a bit of an involved build (I'm thinking of adding a scratch bomb bay, now) and I'm not confident of getting it finished before the GB ends, I thought I'd better do something a little more straightforward as a back up. I had thought of doing a couple of Mustangs or a P-38, but we have a few of those on the go in the GB already, so I've gone for something a bit different, just to add a little more variety.

I had a hunt through the stash and I emerged with the Airfix 1/48 Mosquito PR.XVI.

BoxArt.jpg

Contents.jpg

This will be pretty much from the box and the only aftermarket I'll be using, is the Ventura decal sheet (which I've had for years).

The first job to take care of was the removal of some ejector pin marks on the visible parts of the cockpit sidewalls. On the outside, there were some sink marks that needed filling.

1.jpg

Some of the interior components were stuck together. The pilots seat pan had an ejector pin mark, slap bang in the middle of it, so I took the easy option of just covering it with a piece of thin plastic card. The belts were added using a Reheat PE set.

I decided to add a representation of the cables on the rear of the instrument panel, using some lead wire of varying thicknesses.

2.jpg

The cockpit in the Airfix kit is fairly well detailed, but there are some distinctive features missing. I added some of the boxes on the sides from thick plastic card. Detail was added using some Reheat switch panels and bezels. The cables and oxygen hoses were done with more lead wire.

3.jpg

I decided that was enough detail for me. I only wanted to add what could be seen and didn't want to go too mad, here. Everything was given a coat of Tamiya interior green and left to dry.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Tonight, I've gloss coated all the interior bits. I'll leave it overnight and tomorrow, I'll do a dark wash.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice stuff Paul. I have one of these on the shelf of doom, which will probably see the light of day in KUTA V! I got pee'd off with the fit of the wings and the fuselage and the nacelles. Also I cocked up the camera window holes which will need some work to put right. I love the schemes of these birds though and have some very nice Ventura decals for mine when its ready for them!

Nice stuff Paul. I have one of these on the shelf of doom, which will probably see the light of day in KUTA V! I got pee'd off with the fit of the wings and the fuselage and the nacelles. Also I cocked up the camera window holes which will need some work to put right. I love the schemes of these birds though and have some very nice Ventura decals for mine when its ready for them!

Yeah, I have heard the engines can be a little... challenging, but I quite enjoy fettling stuff and making it fit.

I had a little break while the 'lympics were on, but I'm back at it now and I'm having a blast painting the cockpit. :)

Photos will follow when it's all painted up (mainly because, I haven't taken any shots of the different stages and Photobucket seems to be arsing abart, too).

I believe that there was a topic on britmodeller for putting the engine nacelles on. I can't find it right now. But with a little search you could find it.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. Well, last night I cleaned up the wings and then thought I'd give them a quick test fit to the fuselage. Let's just say that the fit is... interesting (?).

I ended up just laughing, cos it's not even close. They don't appear to be designed for the same aircraft, let alone the same kit. :rolleyes:

A few pics, just to show where I'm at with this thing.

The cockpit is almost finished. I wanna do a bit more work on the panel before I call it finished.

9.jpg

25.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

26.jpg

I added some ribs in the wheel wells and made some basic rear bulkheads, just to prevent a see through look.

8.jpg

13.jpg

That's how far I got before I decided to test fit the wing to fuselage join.

WTF.jpg

As you can see, it's a bit odd. The wing leading edge tapers away from the fuselage.

I'm sure it can be made to fit with some reshaping here and there, I'm just not in the mood to faff around with it at the moment, so I'm gonna chuck it back in the box for the mo. I may drag it out again for the KUTA.

One thing I did notice while fiddling around with it. If you rotate the wing forward, so that the leading edge meets the fuselage, there is an external rib which is moulded too long and stops the lower half of the wing meeting the fuselage properly.

Lowerwingjoin.jpg

I've marked the wing shape with a pen here. You can see where the strip needs reducing.

Just a little tip for future builders of this kit.

Lowerwingjoin2.jpg

Paul - exactly the same reason mine is sat in its box (that and a cock-up with the camera ports). Its a ridiculous detail - I actually thought I'd done something wrong even though I'd followed the instructions slavishly (very unlike me).

Oh well - perhaps we'll both be occupied with this one come KUTA-time

• 2 years later...

Hi two questions:

I've just bought the new airfix 1:48 scale pr mk vi and it had two sets of wings and fuselage is that normal?

Also does anyone know if the eduard tamaya photo etch additions fit this set?

I'm liking the internal details you've put into yours :)

Hi two questions:

I've just bought the new airfix 1:48 scale pr mk vi and it had two sets of wings and fuselage is that normal?

Also does anyone know if the eduard tamaya photo etch additions fit this set?

I'm liking the internal details you've put into yours :)

Yes, the kit is the original FB VI kit, plus a new fuselage and wings sprues.

if you google Airfix Mosquito PR XVI.....

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/airfix/kit_airfix_7112.shtml

What Eduard etch? They used do a set for for the Airfix FB VI, which maybe findable. and won't be pre painted.

some of a set for a Tamiya kit may fit, look at something like a zoom set, as that's usually an IP and seat straps

like this http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDFE242

What I suggest is dry fit the canopy to the fuselage and see what you can see, chances are, not a great deal.

HTH

T