Red Arrows toying with a new livery, fin only most likely

turnerdad

If there is a need to combine the memory of the gnat in any design.Then the fin design could be a chosen combo on any off that , that has been suggested .

However consider this ,what about,

On the underneath a picture of a Gnat full size as if its metamorphasing into a hawk . :tumble: :tumble: :tumble:

(Theres no way I can draw that with paint ........is there)

Edited by eagle

Guys, with ref to the 1972 experiment, the reg so far has not been discovered as the white line went over the normal location... For those planning to model this, take note that the slipper tanks are fitted as well!

I know the brief was for the fin, but a simple lightning flash on the nose could be effected now using the lines of the cockpit opening as the angle/demarcation line with minimum effort and add a touch of historic scheme which was lost in 78 when rad was added to the gnat...

Vinyl stickers! A lot of marking these days are just giant decals rather than being painted on. In fact I think the fin and rudder could be done that way as well, like vehicle wraps, which can then be removed when done.

wouldn't last 5 hours on a high speed a/c, 7 of our FRADU a/c had vinly titles & RN titles along the sides, we took the 100 years of naval aviation' off because it was now out of date & peeling off, the RN on the rear fuselage sides just lifts after 10 to 20 flying hours & it's been edge sealed.

a wrap all over the fin/rudder would look teribble after a few flights.

Edited by Hawkkeeper

I still think nothing needs changing. But someone has just inspired this thought - why not return to the original training colours of red, white, and light aircraft grey? Nothing flies like that nowadays and I've always thought it was one of the nicer schemes wrapped round a Hawk.

doubt it would get past the powers that be, the whiole point of changing to gloss black was due to it being the most highly visible colour, lots of time was spent on trials in the early 90's on this, the RA's are the flagship team, so they can retain the red.

987ce1d3.jpg

Gets my vote. Classy with the right historical nods.

O/T: still hate that wilfully manky typeface though. Expect some design agency got paid big bucks for coming up with it. Do none of the Top Neddies in the RAF have any taste?

• Like 1

This one wins it for me! But with the added suggestion of the blue Royal Air Force on the continued white stripe.

And me. I think that's brilliant.

This one wins it for me! But with the added suggestion of the blue Royal Air Force on the continued white stripe.

Maybe a gold edge to the stripe as well to emphasise the 50 years. But I too like this a lot. The Gnat connection gives an insight to the Reds history.

http://forum.keypubl...66&d=1323367389

An Experimental colour scheme designed by the late Arthur Gibson was trialled in 1972 on a Gnat, but the powers that be didn't like it and it was abandoned...

Though it did fly one, it was repainted back into the standard scheme of the day.

Who thought the White 'swoosh' on the Hawks was a new idea!!

I like this too. Again a gold edge to the white trim.

doubt it would get past the powers that be, the whiole point of changing to gloss black was due to it being the most highly visible colour, lots of time was spent on trials in the early 90's on this, the RA's are the flagship team, so they can retain the red.

I meant for the Red Arrows. The rest can stay black, but if the Arrows went back to the original scheme, they'd still have lots of red all over.

OK, trying to be too clever by half now, but how about using the shape of the Gnat to form a stylised union flag motif on the rudder? And 50 Years 1963 - 2013 in gold with white trim (to stand out).

c282ba31.jpg

Maybe a red silhouette of a Gnat on the nose flash with white outline just under the windscreen. But I like the idea of the Gnat,. Shows the Reds history.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Red Arrows arrived at Zhukovsky for the Russian Air Force 100th Anniversary Show........

They flew nine arcraft in - making smoke in the colours of the Russian Federation flag - White/Blue/Red......

day1_030.JPG

Anyone know if that was a result of my suggestion ?? - (see post #13).

During the display proper, they only flew with six aircraft - which looked distinctly lop-sided......

day1_093.JPG

Anyone know why only 6 - when they arrived with 9 ???

Ken

wouldn't last 5 hours on a high speed a/c, 7 of our FRADU a/c had vinly titles & RN titles along the sides, we took the 100 years of naval aviation' off because it was now out of date & peeling off, the RN on the rear fuselage sides just lifts after 10 to 20 flying hours & it's been edge sealed.

The 4FTS fin badge used on the red/white/blue/grey aircraft were vinyl stickers that had their edges sealed with varnish, they very rarely got damaged though.

The reason why there were only 6 guys displaying in Russia was that one of the guys wife had literally just had a sprog and he was on paternity leave.

Many thanks to everyone who drew up various pictures and left thoughts here. I understand a new fin design has been finalised as is something to commemorate the 50th anniversary, it now rests with some high ranking RAF officers to rubber stamp it, which by all accounts is pretty much assured, but you never know.

Who supplies the paint? I have to say If it was my paint company who supplied the paint that went on the Red Arrows machines, Id be SUpplying it and APplying it for free. (a sort of sponsorship deal if you like)

In the grand scheme of things it cant cost THAT much to apply and maintain the finish on 9 relatively small aircraft.

Richard McC

Looks great to me,

I really like this one by Jonathan too, but has anybody considered replacing the `ROYAL AIR FORCE' titling with `RED ARROWS'? Obviously if RED ARROWS titling was adopted then it may be better to have the letters in red rather than blue or white?

Cheers

Tony O