Red Arrows toying with a new livery, fin only most likely

turnerdad

Well I think that Jonathan's one is the best so far, very smart.

As a comment I really cannot and will not believe that the Air Force / Red Arrows are that hard up to get somebody to make a few sketches / images that have already been produced by a few folk on here. I also then wonder IF any of these are used will they have the MOD copyright OR will it be copyrighted then to say Jonathan Mock.... I just ask a question???

Anyway watching with interest, and would like to see an updated scheme on the REDS.

Ali

OK, for a cost effective solution - simple amend to the rudder area for a Union flag motif, the forward area has a gold "50 Years" sticker with small Gnat as a reminder of the Reds origins.

b91a2402.jpg

Love that scheme.

If not to much trouble, could you over paint the white royal air force and continue the flash (white)

Insert Royal Air Force (Roundal Blue) in the white ?

Have to absolutely disagree with this statement. As a nation we need more flags we need to be more like USA flag mad and patriotic. :poppy:

A design idea.

Paint the underside of each hawk with a part of the union jack ,so that when they fly in formation it forms a whole union jack,Showmanship at its best :bling:

Now you've got your thinking cap on, it's a cracking idea. I 100% behind you on more flags, every home should have one. Look how many were being weaved at the jubilee.

Colin on the Africa Station (ex Fleet Air Arm and proud to say so).

This thread has done one thing for me... highlighted just how crap that RAF "logo" is. What on earth is a fighting force doing with a logo? :fraidnot: Is the strapline "You've just had the crap bombed out of you by the RAF"?

• Like 1

This thread has done one thing for me... highlighted just how crap that RAF "logo" is. What on earth is a fighting force doing with a logo? :fraidnot: Is the strapline "You've just had the crap bombed out of you by the RAF"?

:ditto:

what Mike said - the modern type face/ font of the fuselage side "Royal Air Force" logo is truly jarring on the eye and wholly out of place on a military aircraft. A design firm will love it but its just wrong. The wording is ok, for me its the modern font thats the problem. Fine on someones headed notepaper but not on the Arrows aircraft.

I really like Jonathan's suggestion. It hints at the Union Flag and would not cost a fortune to add it to the fin or fin/tailerons. I am sure that the Reds could get a copyright waiver from Jonathan free for some return hospitality !

I don't agree that the whole team should have the flag painted all over the airframe

a - because of cost (so its a non starter anyway) and

b - they would stop being the Red Arrows and become the "Union Jacks" (shades of the old Yellow Jacks perhaps?)

I like the idea of putting the "50 Years" and an outline of a Gnat on the fin though that might date the design to one year only and require a repaint the following year and again cost might be a consideration.

And thanks to the Reds for being so thoughtful as to ask for comment. Its a nice touch and much appreciated by me for one. Its truly astonishing the support for them not just from us who are clearly plane mad but in the general population.

John

I like the idea of putting the "50 Years" and an outline of a Gnat on the fin though that might date the design to one year only and require a repaint the following year and again cost might be a consideration.

Vinyl stickers! A lot of marking these days are just giant decals rather than being painted on. In fact I think the fin and rudder could be done that way as well, like vehicle wraps, which can then be removed when done.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Vinyl stickers! A lot of marking these days are just giant decals rather than being painted on. In fact I think the fin and rudder could be done that way as well, like vehicle wraps, which can then be removed when done.

Brilliant!

The first thing that comes to mind is a union jack that was on XX307, but adjusted with to meet the white upright line that goes up the fuselage.

BAeHawkXX307.jpg

It's hardly original, but let's face it, it's global (or at least it should be!) I disagree with the idea of having the whole plane in the three colours though, that should be left to individual display aircraft only. A variation on the Union Jack could be a white-only version, with no blue areas. let's face it, we see national insignia in monotone these days so it's not impossible to have a 'toned down flag' :)

Do agree with the idea of doing something about that awful font! What was wrong with the previous one??

One last thought - would they want to encompass a number on each aircraft? Many other teams do it, but it could work more to their (the Reds') advantage if they don't want to individualise their mounts. If they did have numbers though, the logical place could be the fin, or the rudder?

Only at sea , and the last person to use that method was most likely Nelson.and it pretty much accepted these days to be either way up ,the main consideration is that you do have a flag in the first place ;)

May be "accepted" but it's still wrong. There is only one correct way to fly the Union Flag (and upside-down is supposed to represent distress). Sorry...got my chest-thumping patriotic head on today! :hobbyhorse:

:ditto:

A design firm will love it but its just wrong.

LOL - well actually 'we' dont - its s***e. Its like having the Queen with ERII tatooed on her forhead.

But its a branding thing - and nowadays "everyone" needs a brand identity - yes I know - FUBAR - buts thats obvioulsy what the RAF thought. I made my views clear on another thread. FWIW if it was '82 now - we'd lose the bleedin Falklands to the Argentines becuase we'd waste 3 months in coming up with a logo for the operation to liberate them. :)

Id have loved to have been on the comittee that OK'dt that bottom bad "Royal Air Force" design though, just to hear the business 'ollocks that came out.

Jonners

Not so sure I like the idea of truncated and partial pieces of the union flag. :hmmm:

I think they should be full and in its intirety and representational of the whole flag. :)

Otherwise it does not represent Great Britain.

For example the offering above does not show the St George part of the flag .very important omission .

Edited by eagle

May be "accepted" but it's still wrong. There is only one correct way to fly the Union Flag (and upside-down is supposed to represent distress). Sorry...got my chest-thumping patriotic head on today! :hobbyhorse:

Well if you consider a union flag solidly fixed to a surface and constructed properly.

The concept of getting it upside down is not a consideration because it will be universal in orientation.

So being upside down is not a consideration.

Not so sure I like the idea of truncated and partial pieces of the union flag. :hmmm:

I think they should be full and in its intirety and representational of the whole flag. :)

Otherwise it does not represent Great Britain.

For example the offering above does not show the St George part of the flag .very important omission .

Neither did the classic British Airways logos of the 1070s, but they were instantly recognisable as representing GB. Strictly speaking any representation of the Union Flag that isn't proportioned to a flag could be considered to be unrepresentative, it depends how far people like to define it.